SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-09-21, 09:00 PM   #2431
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I will think about it.

Thank you for the maps Oliver! My goal is to add a lot more interesting nautical items to the map, near coastal towns & villages. I want to make it interesting just to sail and admire the scenery even when there is no combat involved. Likely things to add:

-Many more lighthouse styles
-More random piers/wharfs, not just located in the default ports
-Lifeboat stations
-New lightships
-Buoys
-Wrecks
-Derelict Ships
-Patches of flotsam/empty lifeboats
-Shoals & Rocks
-Forts & gun barges
-Fishing activities, both ashore and from boats
-Seaplane bases

Reach goals (if there is time!)

-Railroad network with destructible items
-More animated sea life
-Random weather fronts with snow/rain
-High detailed United States coast for 1918 Cruiser Submarine campaign

I am trying to think of more scenery items to make things interesting; feel free to chip in. Of course, submarines and combat will be the main focus of the game and I'm well aware that discipline regarding feasible content is needed - I'm not trying to make this turn into "Silent Hunter: Thomas the Tank Engine Edition". But all reasonable proposals are welcome.

And about the coasters by another modder: I need to go digging on an old HD to see if I have them - I think they were some of the items destroyed in that hack attack.
Ahoy, IABL...

Sitting here, digesting the many ideas you have to include, thus far alone... has Me literally drooling... (just add drool to that icon & you'd have My expression right now... )

Can't wait to see the finished mod...

Thank you, for your hard work & dedication bud... I know that y'all guys, don't hear that enough... but, know that it is appreciated.

M. M.

Old 09-09-21, 09:39 PM   #2432
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Well, I wanted a productive weekend but it was not to be - I was sick from my COVID shot and only recently got better. I didn't manage to update the U-139 hull as much as I wanted to, but work on the conning tower is coming along well. Also have a few pix of decking for the submarine, which is more detailed than my old models.

The machine gun was swiped from my Albatros D.III fighter. Needs working on - I am proud of the barrel and the cooling jacket, which has cylinders copied from a real German MG. But the breech block needs to be reworked so it's more realistic & high detail.

My sources seem to indicate WWI Unterseeboots did not mount their machine guns aft off the watchstander's position on the CT, like World War II U-Boats did. Instead, the MG was kept unmounted (probably in the submarine) and would be set up on a tripod at the tip of the bow if it was needed. Smaller UB-I boats had the MG a few feet in front of the conning tower (like the deck gun on bigger subs)

Aircraft were less of a threat in WWI and it made more sense to dive than fight it out, so this was no big loss.

I may keep an unmounted MG or two in the conning tower as scenery.

Do not worry about the lack of interior conning tower detail - still need to add things like the periscope mounts, compass, wood trim, voice tubes, ship's wheel, electrical boxes, and more. So far I'm at over 30,000 polygons. for tower exterior alone.

Below those screenshots are images of the watertight compartments on a British battleship - note how they match the hull properly, allowing for proper pitch/roll depending on damage. Much better than the early Merchant Fleet mod ships.

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-21, 09:20 PM   #2433
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Well, I wanted a productive weekend but it was not to be - I was sick from my COVID shot and only recently got better. I didn't manage to update the U-139 hull as much as I wanted to, but work on the conning tower is coming along well. Also have a few pix of decking for the submarine, which is more detailed than my old models.

The machine gun was swiped from my Albatros D.III fighter. Needs working on - I am proud of the barrel and the cooling jacket, which has cylinders copied from a real German MG. But the breech block needs to be reworked so it's more realistic & high detail.

My sources seem to indicate WWI Unterseeboots did not mount their machine guns aft off the watchstander's position on the CT, like World War II U-Boats did. Instead, the MG was kept unmounted (probably in the submarine) and would be set up on a tripod at the tip of the bow if it was needed. Smaller UB-I boats had the MG a few feet in front of the conning tower (like the deck gun on bigger subs)

Aircraft were less of a threat in WWI and it made more sense to dive than fight it out, so this was no big loss.

I may keep an unmounted MG or two in the conning tower as scenery.

Do not worry about the lack of interior conning tower detail - still need to add things like the periscope mounts, compass, wood trim, voice tubes, ship's wheel, electrical boxes, and more. So far I'm at over 30,000 polygons. for tower exterior alone.

Below those screenshots are images of the watertight compartments on a British battleship - note how they match the hull properly, allowing for proper pitch/roll depending on damage. Much better than the early Merchant Fleet mod ships.

Man, the work you have done/are doing is just beyond impressive. I look forward to running some patrols one day.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-21, 11:26 AM   #2434
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 162

Can't wait to see it in campaign

I don't want to move out from the main topic, but some time ago you said you'll reuse some old models of the Type 51 and Type 63 and you were interested in the more modern Types 81 and 93. Talking about these and especially with the Type 81: someone sometimes considers them, due to their external similarities, sister ships, but they had complete different designs. Type 81 ( one of the most difficult classes where to find information and photos on internet) was, in fact, an improved version of the Type 63, with the hull design; externally the only differences were the position of the vent holes, a bigger conning tower and, obviously, the shark nouse bow ( which was, however, not present in the first version of the project, which had the same rounded bow of the type 63 )

original plans for type 81, with external modifications drawn in pencils.

I hope it could be useful for your work

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-21, 02:24 AM   #2435
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 2338

Old 09-29-21, 07:25 PM   #2436
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Excuse the silence, the mod is not cancelled - just been busy. I am almost totally recovered from that stupid "vaccine" - I wasn't sick until I got it; thanks Moderna! Now just some muscle aches and short windedness from time to time.

The tentative current sub lineup is as of now:

UB-I Class (2 Torpedoes) (Some sources say 4 "theoretically" possible??)
U-9 Class (6 Torpedoes)
U-19 Class (6 Torpedoes)
U-23 Class/U-27 Class/U-31 Class (Early War; 6 Torpedoes)
U-23 Class/U-27 Class/U-31 Class (Improved; 10 Torpedoes)
U-51 Class (8 Torpedoes)
U-63 Class (8 Torpedoes)
U-81 Class ( Up to 10-12 Torpedoes)
U-87 Class (12-16 Torpedoes)
U-139 Class (24 Torpedoes)

If anyone has alternate torpedo figures, go ahead and chip in.

The new model for the early diesel boats (U-19 - U-31 which were very similar) is almost done....the old one, which you have seen in all screenshots, will not be in the final release. The new one is much better.

@ Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt: So yes! Expect to see the U-63 and U-81. I have a good conning tower model for them, and I will adapt the high detail U-139 hull to make those boats. I have various styles of the U-139 hull with no vent holes, etc so that when time comes to modify it into the other classes I can add the right vent holes and other details easily.

I remember that the U-63's served a lot of time in the Mediterranean, where their fast diving time was useful. According to my sources they could only carry up to 8 torpedoes, so the U-81 was a considerable improvement in terms of payload (10-12 torpedoes for U-81 boats).

It will be interesting, managing torpedoes with the early war boats that have a loadout of just 6 torpedoes...and the UB-I only has 2! Much different from the Gato / Balao.
Old 09-29-21, 10:38 PM   #2437
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Excuse the silence, the mod is not cancelled - just been busy. I am almost totally recovered from that stupid "vaccine" - I wasn't sick until I got it; thanks Moderna! Now just some muscle aches and short windedness from time to time.

U-9 Class (6 Torpedoes)
U-19 Class (6 Torpedoes)
U-23 Class/U-27 Class/U-31 Class (Early War; 6 Torpedoes)
U-23 Class/U-27 Class/U-31 Class (Improved; 10 Torpedoes)
U-51 Class (8 Torpedoes)
U-63 Class (8 Torpedoes)
U-81 Class ( Up to 10-12 Torpedoes)
U-87 Class (12-16 Torpedoes)
U-139 Class (24 Torpedoes)

If anyone has alternate torpedo figures, go ahead and chip in.

The new model for the early diesel boats (U-19 - U-31 which were very similar) is almost done....the old one, which you have seen in all screenshots, will not be in the final release. The new one is much better.

@ Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt: So yes! Expect to see the U-63 and U-81. I have a good conning tower model for them, and I will adapt the high detail U-139 hull to make those boats. I have various styles of the U-139 hull with no vent holes, etc so that when time comes to modify it into the other classes I can add the right vent holes and other details easily.

I remember that the U-63's served a lot of time in the Mediterranean, where their fast diving time was useful. According to my sources they could only carry up to 8 torpedoes, so the U-81 was a considerable improvement in terms of payload (10-12 torpedoes for U-81 boats).

It will be interesting, managing torpedoes with the early war boats that have a loadout of just 6 torpedoes...and the UB-I only has 2! Much different from the Gato / Balao.

Sorry to hear you were sick, same thing happened with my sister, never sick until she got the injection, but she ended up in the hospital for two weeks and oxygen. Glad you are recovering.

Going to be quite an adjustment for those of us used t carrying 24 torpedoes around on patrol lol. Deck gun will play a large role in the sim I assume.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-21, 12:24 AM   #2438
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 2338

Old 10-09-21, 06:49 AM   #2439
dex
Engineer

Downloads: 198
Default about release date

Best regards...It s good story about this mod definitely
Someone know maybe true date of release
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-21, 12:34 AM   #2440
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Hard to say. We all are hopeful it will be out by the spring of 2022.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-21, 11:41 AM   #2441
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 134

Quote:

UBI - 4 torpedoes possible, but... 2 500mm or 4 450mm "C/06D" or bronze torpedoe 355mm "C35/91 GA" or bronze torpedo 355mm "C35/91" or bronze torpedo 450mm "C/03D". Bronze mean that torpedo hull was not steel but bronze. Detail torpedo this: http://sovpl.forum24.ru/?1-4-1633883...06-000-0-0#001
denis_469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-21, 02:19 PM   #2442
dex
Engineer

Downloads: 198
Default about release date

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Whacko View Post
Hard to say. We all are hopeful it will be out by the spring of 2022.
Thanks for info Whacko...
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-21, 02:15 PM   #2443
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
We're getting there, although there is much to do.

Thanks for the torpedo info, denis_469.

Major update of player units coming up - stay tuned.
Old 10-13-21, 04:44 PM   #2444
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 134

Quote:
Thanks for the torpedo info, denis_469.
But "UB I" was single only uboat what was have 4 torpedoes instead 2 torpedoes. So in Germany not ehough torpedoes and in this case double torpedo load was in UB I subs only. Other subs have bronze torpedoes instead 500mm torpedoes.

And german submarine guns WWI, if need:
http://sovpl.forum24.ru/?1-4-1634161...00-000-0-0#001
denis_469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-21, 08:23 AM   #2445
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
中国水兵

Downloads: 162

Any news ? )

Rapidi Ed Invisibili-the campaign (an italian mod for SH4)
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote