Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-18, 03:12 AM   #1
Shibbyland
Seaman

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default SH5 vs SH4

Just a comment really to see other people's thoughts on it but I really wish SH5 played as well as SH4.

I've been a big fan of SH5 and more recently Wolves of Steel mod but I only just tried SH4 within the last few days, I've struggled a bit to adjust to the graphics (I think it's the anti-aliasing or lack thereof) but jeez does it play better. I'm running TMO with RSRD and they're great. The management of the boat, specifically the crew side of things adds another level which would be awesome in SH5. The time compression works really well and for whatever reason manual targeting seems more accurate. It's just a tad easier to use the same techniques for both games but end up with a more reliable solution in SH4.

I just want to take pretty much the entire mechanics of SH4 and insert them into the SH5 setting and engine in combination with the ability to walk around the boat. That crew management and your office back in port are such nice touches.

SH5 was my first sub game (if you don't count Wolfpack when I was a kid), I'm glad I bothered to check out SH4.
Shibbyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 06:26 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi S
SH5 is heavy on resources so your fps is always going to be a lot lower than SH3 or SH4.
Using a mega mod like FOTRSU you will notice a big difference visually in the graphics and the game in general.
Many of the bugs and faults found in the SH4 game are being found and put right.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 06:50 AM   #3
Shibbyland
Seaman

Oh thanks, I didn't know this mod existed. How does it compare to TMO and RSRD. My understanding was they were kind of the definitive mods for SH4. I think all in all I much prefer the Atlantic setting of SH5 but I'm hooked on SH4 because it runs so much better. SH5 is great when its working well but the hiccups break up the continuity a lot. I haven't found that in SH4 yet. In saying that, I spend a lot more time in the map view in SH4 whereas SH5 seems to be much more search intensive I really have to patrol.
Old 08-12-18, 07:24 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

For SH4 there is also a recent compilation done by Bleiente:

Ralles RealModPack V1.2final full
https://workupload.com/file/cQjXAQh

Ralles ModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC V1.3single Update
https://workupload.com/file/dybLZ7s

It changes the visuals, makes the interior compartment's navigation much easier but also adds a lot of realism features. It's flexible as you can take out the most realistic-demanding things to make it easier if you want.

Before trying this mod I didn't like SH4 at all, but after using it for only a little while I discover an entire new game.

But I'm too much focused on SH5 currently which has it all and is unrivaled IMO due to its automation features (scripts), just to highlight one feature in the mass.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 08-12-18 at 07:33 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 08:27 AM   #5
Shibbyland
Seaman

I find the scripts a bit odd at times but maybe I’m just not using them properly. I want to use patrol scripts in SH5 but they frequently yield no results and often send me into land. What are the most common scripts you use and how do you use them to get best results.
Old 08-12-18, 09:06 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I'm using only few scripts like Harbor Pilot for the Kiel canal, and the one for the Deck Gun with zig-zag course at full speed.

The scripts other than the harbor pilots are not meant to be run fully automatically, for best results you should be in the right situation, pause them in specific conditions and unpause them to continue. This applies especially for combat and evasion scripts, it's all about to start them at the right moment. If unpredictable events come in your way it's best to pause or even stop them and resume them later, they are of course limited and cannot account for any possible interference.
I find the 'normal' Kiel harbor pilot is still broken (the one without the canal pass).

How to use them? You launch the automation menu with one of the right icons on the map, you use the arrow to put one of the scripts until it appears in red on the right, you chose it, you select the below left tab to assign the 'x' key for launching it when you want. You can come back in this menu to pause/unpause/stop the script. If you no longer need it, remove it from the menu.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 08-12-18 at 09:15 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 11:50 AM   #7
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
For SH4 there is also a recent compilation done by Bleiente:

Ralles RealModPack V1.2final full
https://workupload.com/file/cQjXAQh

Ralles ModPack for TMO_RSRDC_OTC V1.3single Update
https://workupload.com/file/dybLZ7s

It changes the visuals, makes the interior compartment's navigation much easier but also adds a lot of realism features. It's flexible as you can take out the most realistic-demanding things to make it easier if you want.

Before trying this mod I didn't like SH4 at all, but after using it for only a little while I discover an entire new game.
Thank you @ Xenon for the nice review.
Was a little surprised that you left no comment in my thread after our conversation.
But now I have found this nice statement here from you.

Old 10-04-21, 10:47 AM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Reported

we write our own essays at .

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote