SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-23-22, 04:27 PM   #1
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Default Some questions about submarine 3D models

Having learned a good deal of modeling in the last years, I was wondering about the specifics of SH4 submarine models, in case I had some time to crank out one. Can someone help with these questions?

1- What is the desirable amount of polygons for the hull and for the conning tower? (I know guns, rudder, periscopes etc are separate objects as well as the conning tower)
2.- How many textures can a model have linked to, and what is the proper size for them?
3.- Do textures accept alpha channels f.e. for railing or holes?
4.- If I provide a model in 3Ds or Ligthtwave format complete with textures, would anyone be able to port it into SH4 adding the animations for torpedo doors, peris, rudder, screws, etc?

Now I'm not saying I will start modeling something tomorrow, but I want to know how the models should be, so I can gauge the work needed and see if I find the time for it.

Old 03-26-22, 09:40 AM   #2
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Having learned a good deal of modeling in the last years, I was wondering about the specifics of SH4 submarine models, in case I had some time to crank out one. Can someone help with these questions?

1- What is the desirable amount of polygons for the hull and for the conning tower? (I know guns, rudder, periscopes etc are separate objects as well as the conning tower)
2.- How many textures can a model have linked to, and what is the proper size for them?
3.- Do textures accept alpha channels f.e. for railing or holes?
4.- If I provide a model in 3Ds or Ligthtwave format complete with textures, would anyone be able to port it into SH4 adding the animations for torpedo doors, peris, rudder, screws, etc?

Now I'm not saying I will start modeling something tomorrow, but I want to know how the models should be, so I can gauge the work needed and see if I find the time for it.

1) Maximum number of polys for the hull as an individual object is about 32,000 polys when working with S3d Editor. Once you reach about 33,000 polys the editor crashes. You can get around this limitation by subdividing the hull into several components (each no more than ~ 32,000 polys). My U-31 Class WWI submarine is almost exactly 117,000 polys. Hull and conning tower are each right at the limit (32,000 polys). The other polygons are masts, rigging, rivets, hatches, etc.

2) I haven't found a limit on the number of textures yet; I've had ships work fine with about 5-6 different textures. The largest textures I use have been 2048 x 2048. For some reason terrain textures bigger than 512 x 512 crash the game, but ship textures bigger than that are fine.

3) Yes, I have created my own damage layers using alpha channels.

4) I work with Wings3d; I know you can convert 3ds to obj in wings3d for S3d editor to use; not sure about other formats. Can't tell you much about animations; I'm not good at them.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-22, 01:05 PM   #3
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Thanks! I was starting to think that nobody had interest in more/improved 3D models for Sh4 subs

33000 is way higher than what I had in mind, so I'm good on that

The more so if I can use alpha channels for rigging and such
Old 03-26-22, 05:36 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Anything you can deliver Hitman, and I volunteer s7rikeback to help you!...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-22, 06:24 PM   #5
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Also not sure if you know this, but every item you import using S3d Editor must ALWAYS ALWAYS be triangulated. If a model has four sided polygons it will not import. As a beginner I spent months wondering why my models wouldn't import. In Wings3d you can take an existing model and right click "tesselate -> triangulate"; that way a four-sided square is converted to two three sided triangles and so on.

Another thing - with S3d Editor every model must have UV coordinates to be imported. One trick I use is to create several basic cubes, cylinders, & spheres, texture them, and then use them as the basis for every part of the model in wings3d. When the model is finished I can always touch up the textures so they are more fitting for a complex ship model.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-22, 02:30 PM   #6
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

My program (Zmodelr) is old but works with triangles yes, and I make the models fully textured. I have been willing to do something already for a long time and I think I already mentioned it to strike and prop, but I am busy with many things (Real life and modding for racing games) and don't find the time. So what I want to do is get the info and when I find a proper moment, be able to start straightaway and not lose a moment, probably this summer during my vacation.