SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-22, 09:30 AM   #1
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

Default New Sound Mod for Aces of the Deep!

Aces Of The Deep: Sound and Music Mod 1.0
-----------------------------------------

This is a mod for Dynamix' Aces of the Deep which will change almost all sounds in the game. I have tried my best at making the game more immersive and realistic, and done a lot of work sourcing good samples, editing, layering, editing pitches, and mixing together the various speech and effect samples. At the same time I wanted to keep them clean and not colored by movie background music or very recognizeable long passages from popular movies. A few stock sounds are still used but I have either edited them or layered them with other sounds. The few sounds not changed are not included, like the ricochet and aircraft fly-by sound as I found they were good enough. I hope these new sounds will greatly enhance your experience of Aces of the Deep, and that the new depth charges will rattle your cage a bit!

Being a hobby musician as well as retro gaming fan, I have made an original new main theme for Aces of the Deep in my old DOS program "Sequencer Plus Gold". There are files included for SoundBlaster and Roland MT-32. You can easily use MT-32 in DOSBox X or DOSBox SVN-Daum, which I personally use. But be sure to choose MPU-401 in the AOTD sound setup and not MT-32. The main theme song in AOTD is called "Shell__l.hmp". Just place either of the music files in your "Sound" directory. If you don't like it just delete it and AOTD will look for the main theme on the CD as usual.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installation: Just copy all sound and music files to your AOD\SOUND\ directory.

(There are two different "Los!" samples, named "5GC.RAW" and"5GC_ALT.RAW". Decide for yourself which one you prefer, and rename accordingly. Also, there is an alternative ASDIC sound called SONARRET_ALT.RAW. Rename to SONARRET.RAW of you want to check it out.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speech sources: Mostly Silent Hunter II samples, some samples were borrowed from "Thomsen's Sound Pack" found on Subsim.com. Some were also found in the movie "Das Letzte Uboot".

FX sources: Silent Hunter II, "Das Letzte Uboot" (good movie with many really good sound effects ready for harvesting!), "Das Boot", a few samples borrowed from the mod GWX3.

Music sources: "No Return" theme created by myself. ©2022.

Thanks to John Pancoast for testing the mod, suggestions and sending me sound and music files, many of which I hope to include in later editions!

Download link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eOd...ew?usp=sharing

Music demos
--------------

Sound Blaster:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CZ-...ew?usp=sharing

MT-32:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HrW...ew?usp=sharing

List of files included:

Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 07:29 PM   #2
Giesemaschine
Bosun

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0

Words simply cannot begin to express how grateful I am to you for finally modding my favorite subsim of all time, Andreas.

Aces of the Deep is so rich and warm with atmosphere, the gameplay is deep, the dynamic campaign is what I've always wanted in a sub sim.....it's perfection. I still play it every week after all these years.

These mods are excellent and I am very much looking forward to your future work

Now if it were only possible to add modern resolutions and sharpen the images a bit, I would sell my house to pay for that
Giesemaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 10:04 PM   #3
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

I'll second what Giesemaschine said ! Still the King of u-boat sims, and even better thanks to your work.
Old 01-22-22, 09:28 AM   #4
Andreas86
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesemaschine View Post
Words simply cannot begin to express how grateful I am to you for finally modding my favorite subsim of all time, Andreas.

Aces of the Deep is so rich and warm with atmosphere, the gameplay is deep, the dynamic campaign is what I've always wanted in a sub sim.....it's perfection. I still play it every week after all these years.

These mods are excellent and I am very much looking forward to your future work

Now if it were only possible to add modern resolutions and sharpen the images a bit, I would sell my house to pay for that

Thank you Giesemaschine and John, very motivating to get such feedback!
I have waited a long time myself too, for the possibility of changing things in AOD. I hope this is just the beginning for new content!
Old 03-12-22, 07:34 AM   #5
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 242
Uploads: 0

This sound mod is awesome....a big upgrade for aces of the deep!!!

Thanks Andreas
Old 03-12-22, 05:07 PM   #6
Andreas86
Engineer

Thank you skin-nl, you're welcome! I am very happy you like it!
Old 04-06-22, 04:13 PM   #7
Andreas86
Engineer

Just a quick update to inform that the sound mod will from now on be integrated with the graphic mod, to make a complete package. Therefore, no more updates will be published in this thread.