SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-22, 06:40 PM   #4606
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Default Q

Hi all,

After some time away ashore, I'm putting back to sea with a fresh installation of SH4 and v1.7p3, including several mods. I've gotten rusty and have a few questions:

- While fitting out a Balao in Midway, 6/44, the crew deck gun slots were lost when we switched the 5" from stern to bow. How to fix?

- I'd like to bring some torpedo availability forward in time for Leyte. Is it just a matter of changing dates in certain files?

Thanks,
M4M
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-22, 08:37 PM   #4607
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Somewhere around this thread is a post I made with my procedure to ensure keeping the slots and keeping the guns... but someone pulled the plug eons ago, and the info has drained from the grey matter... sigh - it did involve doing a Save upon arrival back at base, prior to docking, somewhere in the green circle, before the red circle, and that was your fall back-on if all else failed once docked in port...

I do remember it involved Docking, then removing the crew members from the gun positions. Prior to leaving for the next patrol, do the gun change in-base on the equipment screen. Then go to the crew page and see if the crew slots followed the gun. If they did, fantastic, you are good to go. If they did not, go back to the equipment screen and back-off the gun change back to what you had. Exit the game, then re-start and try again. You want to be certain the slots are there before you depart. Once populating the new gun positions, you leave on patrol, and go outside the green circle around the home port and Save the game there. Exit the game, re-start and Load that Save. Now your crew should show when you go to battle stations.

If enountering issues with any of the above, consult "NewColetrainsAndOthersDGfix.pdf" in the Support / HowTo folder in the modded game folder, or the mod folder. It gets more complicated the further you read, but it does point out how to fix and incompletely placed gun also, which is the easiest way to lose the crew member slots for the gun. It might look like it's there, but definitely compare Compartment 7 (Aft position) and Compartment 8 (fore position) for compliance with each other, and the notes in the pdf. Those "fixes" do involve Save file editing, so you'll need to know where your Save folder is, or PM us a link to your zipped Save folder data, and we'll try to square the knot and get you going.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-22, 09:00 PM   #4608
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Downloads: 511

In my second war patrol, with a Cachalot, as i try to return to pearl, click end patrol, the patrol end, but loading the video (it's late March 42 and the mission was in empire waters) and the Pearl harbour office, it return to desktop after a long wait with black screen and only mouse cursor appearing. Without any error or warning. I have installed the game correctly, without any other mods, with large address aware, in d, (that's for say it's all ok with the adjustment to make the game work), and never had these problems with previous versions of the mod, and with other mods. Never and i play to sh4 modded with this PC (a normal Asus laptop with 4gb of ram) by years. I'm the guy who reported that the watch crew didn't warn you sometime of ship spotted several days ago.

PS IF i try to restart the mission and ending it immediately it work. I guess is there's some problem related with the saves... The mission lasted for a week or so, in RL, and during the patrol i saved 12 times circa, with blocks of 3 saves for time to avoid that one didn't work, to have a save of reserve practically, ever deleting the previous 3 saves everytime I did exit the game saving again, 3 times with different names ever ofc. I guess in this long time, with all these saves, something gone wrong. If i try to reload another save, it pass the video clip part, and the music of the office start,but it CTd again with black screen, without allowing me even to see the office. Something gone wrong corrupting my saves, never happened before, i mean yes happened in past that some saces was corrupted but never stopped me to return in port, ending the mission, if i did reload another.
Old 05-18-22, 09:11 PM   #4609
propbeanie

You're too fast for me, you old-timer! lol - from the beta thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The post should actually be in the thread Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate. This is the "beta" release thread, but we can manage from here. Can you zip-up the Save folder data, post it to a sharing site, and PM me a link? I would like to see the "CareerTrack.upc" file in the newest Save folder. There will be a line in there with "PlayerCurrentObjectives=IDxxx", with the "xxx" representing a number that points to a file named in the PatrolObjectives.cfg file. With that info, we can look at the file, and see if the mission is the cause of your troubles, which it sounds like it is.

You boat is assigned the next mission file upon your arrival back at base, so once that is assigned, it gets stuck in the game's Save folder data, and you cannot get passed that if you cannot complete the mission. A possible fix is to change that number to a know-good mission assignment, so that the game can finish loading. Then you can go do what you want, or follow orders... There might be another way around it, but it is based upon what the info in the Save folder is.

Out of curiosity, what was the approximate date you came back into port, or else the approximate date it said you would sail? Do you remember the text of the orders you received, as well as the Objective listed near the bottom, or did the game crash before it could take you that far in? Thanks for any more info you can supply. Sorry for your troubles with that.

btw, which version of the mod are you using, and can you use JSGME to generate an activated mods list?

Old 05-19-22, 10:53 AM   #4610
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Default save game link

PROP! i have the link you requested me with the save game file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/xocfh...5.rar.rar/file

that's after the mission just before returning home, en route to home. the last save, but every save i reload it ctd once i end mission just a second after the music of the office start.

only if i restart the mission and end it immediatly it work, without completingthe objectives.
Old 05-19-22, 11:01 AM   #4611
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

I'm getting "unknown error" and "data/shaders/volumetricfog/volumetricfogps.fx" msgs on a black screen (aside from the frozen cursor) when launching a saved game from port. Note: I don't have any actual games saved as I've never gotten out of port; this is strictly the "leaving port" autosave. I click to leave port, a couple of splash screens load, then it goes black.

This using a fresh install of SH4 U-Boats copied to SH4 directory with the latest version of FOTRS and the mods pack. The SH4 documents folder has been emptied each time before starting the game. Initially I made some minor edits to UPC files but the latest install still crashed with no edits and only the following mods activated: 301, 302, 303, 399c2, 450, and 803.
Old 05-19-22, 12:14 PM   #4612
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Default Heian survivability

PB & S7rikeback,

continuing the discussion on the survivability of the Heian merchie....
she sinks of her own accord when sailing in 9 m/s winds.

prior to this time, i had seen her survive in 0-5 m/s and sink in 12-15 m/s.
finally got to witness her in the middle range of wind speeds.

km

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 01:02 PM   #4613
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArditoCorsaro View Post
PROP! i have the link you requested me with the save game file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/xocfh...5.rar.rar/file

that's after the mission just before returning home, en route to home. the last save, but every save i reload it ctd once i end mission just a second after the music of the office start.

only if i restart the mission and end it immediatly it work, without completingthe objectives.
Got it, and inspected... The submarine looks good through its upc file... you have an aft-mounted deck gun? Did you move that? I see 2 DD Mutsuki sunk on the first patrol, and a Kinposan Maru, Nagara Maru and Katsuragisan Maru sunk on the 2nd. I see messages coming in about a Friendly Task Force on the 29th of March, and another on the 4th of April... how close to those are you? That's about all I see of anything suspicious in there... Did you have heavy stuttering as you were coming into port, or were you able to do 64x or 128x TC while approaching the red circle? I'm looking into the US Task Force file now for then, to make certain we don't have an overly large set of ships, nor any bad calls in the group(s)...

Old 05-19-22, 01:03 PM   #4614
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
I'm getting "unknown error" and "data/shaders/volumetricfog/volumetricfogps.fx" msgs on a black screen (aside from the frozen cursor) when launching a saved game from port. Note: I don't have any actual games saved as I've never gotten out of port; this is strictly the "leaving port" autosave. I click to leave port, a couple of splash screens load, then it goes black.

This using a fresh install of SH4 U-Boats copied to SH4 directory with the latest version of FOTRS and the mods pack. The SH4 documents folder has been emptied each time before starting the game. Initially I made some minor edits to UPC files but the latest install still crashed with no edits and only the following mods activated: 301, 302, 303, 399c2, 450, and 803.
You can get similar messages when you are using a version of SH4 other than v1.5 Gold Edition, or the Uboat Missions Add-On... However, if you are Saving the game in port, and then loading that Save without having exited the game, that can do it also. Just exit the game, and try to load that Save, if it's not corrupted, that is... Let us know!

Old 05-19-22, 01:07 PM   #4615
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
PB & S7rikeback,

continuing the discussion on the survivability of the Heian merchie....
she sinks of her own accord when sailing in 9 m/s winds.

prior to this time, i had seen her survive in 0-5 m/s and sink in 12-15 m/s.
finally got to witness her in the middle range of wind speeds.

km
Thanks... never have encountered it in multiple testing sessions, but we also never removed it from the list... What boat, date and location? Which direction was the Heian sailing? Was it in a group? Did you happen to see any smoke or fire coming off of it? We have found a set of over-sized collision spheres on the ship, and incorporated that "fix" into the next release, but thus far, that's all we can find of anything "wrong" with the ship... All that does though, is make the fire "hang" mid-air forward and aft over the holds, instead of in the holds... How do you find so many of them thangs?? lol - We'll look some more though. Thanks.

Old 05-19-22, 01:07 PM   #4616
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

No i don't move guns (i know the problems of the gun position, and i know how to fix it via upc files, you know better than me this trick probably ), my gun is at stern from the first patrol and i never touched it, i use guns often in combat yes, using both torpedoes and deck gun (a tactic, a couple of torpedoes then finish off with DG, to spare fishes, doing that in a combat against the Kinposan i received a gun shell that damaged the hull to 5%, and this cause some problem sometime with saves but without corrupting or destroying them, simply you receive the warning we re taking damage sir once the game load, nothing more. Never happened something like this time)i had a lag yes, i was able to approach the red circle but with a light lag, not an heavy. Maybe it's because I approached the green circle to 5000 tc? But then I stop to 0, and approach port to 32 or 64, or max 128 with some lag the last. The task force is the problem maybe yes.....i met even a Japanese merchant in some of this test save games, some hundred miles south of Midway. But i avoided it. I ll try to wait until the task force disappear, and try to approach port slower, but note that when I end mission i m ever to tc 1.

PS
THE TASK FORCES, THERE WAS A COUPLE IN THE ROUTE FROM JAPAN, WAS SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES FROM ME. EVEN THOUSAND. NORTH. MAYBE... IS THE TRAFFIC I FIND IN OEARL AND JUST OFFSHORE? when I arrive there is really very traffic...in and out the port.

Last edited by ArditoCorsaro; 05-19-22 at 01:25 PM.
ArditoCorsaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 02:00 PM   #4617
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArditoCorsaro View Post
No i don't move guns (i know the problems of the gun position, and i know how to fix it via upc files, you know better than me this trick probably ), my gun is at stern from the first patrol and i never touched it, i use guns often in combat yes, using both torpedoes and deck gun (a tactic, a couple of torpedoes then finish off with DG, to spare fishes, doing that in a combat against the Kinposan i received a gun shell that damaged the hull to 5%, and this cause some problem sometime with saves but without corrupting or destroying them, simply you receive the warning we re taking damage sir once the game load, nothing more. Never happened something like this time)i had a lag yes, i was able to approach the red circle but with a light lag, not an heavy. Maybe it's because I approached the green circle to 5000 tc? But then I stop to 0, and approach port to 32 or 64, or max 128 with some lag the last. The task force is the problem maybe yes.....i met even a Japanese merchant in some of this test save games, some hundred miles south of Midway. But i avoided it. I ll try to wait until the task force disappear, and try to approach port slower, but note that when I end mission i m ever to tc 1.

PS
THE TASK FORCES, THERE WAS A COUPLE IN THE ROUTE FROM JAPAN, WAS SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES FROM ME. EVEN THOUSAND. NORTH. MAYBE... IS THE TRAFFIC I FIND IN OEARL AND JUST OFFSHORE? when I arrive there is really very traffic...in and out the port.
Myself, as a... "Rule of thumb", make it a habit, of going into the main.cfg file (after getting everything, finalized in setting up, of course... ) & edit the max TC to... 1024, max. Then save.

On reading up, about weather, sunrise/moonrise-sunset/moonset being overly messed up with high TC usage, am pondering if perhaps, that shouldn't be set, down to... 256.

Know, I recall reading that... just recently... will see if I can, re-lay hands on the post I saw that mentioned... Unless, someone else, beats Me to it, 1st.

M. M.
Old 05-19-22, 02:02 PM   #4618
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

The problem is that also if i approach to 1000 or 2000 tx to the green circle, don't work. I tried really in every way to fix it, but nothing...maybe are the merchants i attacked? Maybe the combined roster? Maybe the fact that it lag just a little bit even to 64x approaching from the green to the red circle? I don't know...
I ll restart a new campaign from April or may 1942, with another boat, (damn waited a cachalot class for years, as the other V BOATS, my dream is a barracuda!), I lol restart with s boats from San Diego maybe. Or San Francisco. Or maybe i lol do some single patrol in the Aleutians, and restart a new campaign later in 1943. Pity, this campaign with the V boat from pearl was going pretty well. But i ll keep the save i sent to you, so if you ll succeed to fix it i know in future i can do again a pearl campaign. Let's see if in south west Asia or the Aleutians this happen. Never happened before in previous versions in these theatres.

EDIT I tried to remove the ship sunked, from the save, to see if it was the ships to cause the ctd but no. Also if i clean the captain log, the ctd still. I don't know what to do. I could try to restart a new campaign with a Cachalot from pearl too without the extras maybe to see if it work...but i don't think even the extras are faulty. I guess there s something i did in the mission, maybe the objective, maybe the too save games.

Last edited by ArditoCorsaro; 05-19-22 at 02:48 PM.
ArditoCorsaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 03:18 PM   #4619
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Quote:
You can get similar messages when you are using a version of SH4 other than v1.5 Gold Edition, or the Uboat Missions Add-On... However, if you are Saving the game in port, and then loading that Save without having exited the game, that can do it also. Just exit the game, and try to load that Save, if it's not corrupted, that is... Let us know!
It's the same SH4 UBE version I've always used, downloaded afresh from the Steam account archive, and the only saves are the Autosave_OnEnteringBase and Autosave_OnLeavingBase. The latter loads, I arrange the crew, check for upgrades, accept the mission, a couple of splash screens appear, then all goes black, frozen cursor aside.

EDIT: I once again uninstalled SH4, deleted FOTRS, deleted the Documents Save folder, deleted all the downloaded FOTRS and ModPak files, rebooted, and then downloaded everything again, along with Nihon Kaigun and Nippon Maru. I created a new FOTRS folder, activated v1.7p3, mods 301, 302, 303, 399c2, 450, 525, and 803 followed by NK, NM, and the roster. Once I had changed the sound, graphics, and gameplay settings, I created a new career and started a Balao mission from Midway in 10/44 with similar results: one new screen loaded, then went black, then CTDed without any error messages. Any ideas?

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 05-19-22 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-19-22, 03:28 PM   #4620
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Thanks... never have encountered it in multiple testing sessions, but we also never removed it from the list...
Quote:
What boat, date and location?
[RndGroup 1.RndUnit 1]
Class=KLCSHeian
Type=102
Origin=Japan
Side=0
CargoExt=1
CargoInt=0
CfgDate=19400101
No=1
Escort=false
SpawnProbability=100
CrewRating=2

May 1943. Traveling east of Honshu on its way to Tsugaru Strait, on its route from Tokyo, inside of the mine field. (no, she did not hit a mine...they are subsurface mines.)

Quote:
Which direction was the Heian sailing?
Due north.

Quote:
Was it in a group?
Yes

Quote:
Did you happen to see any smoke or fire coming off of it?
no. we were submerged, tracking the RGG via sonar. one minute she was there and the next minute there was a sunken ship icon.

Quote:
How do you find so many of them thangs
lol.
i make them a regular member of the RGG's i create within a mission.
I mix a Heian, a couple of tankers, a troop ship, sometimes an escort carrier or a heavy cruiser and then surround them with four to six elite DD's.
if there are heavy seas, the Heian is spawned and then sinks before we engage. happens every time there are heavy seas. if the sea state is 6 or less, we get the chance to sink her, along with the rest.

Heians are my constant in an ever-changing world.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote