SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-22, 10:28 PM   #16
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
Ok, so explain to me why it has been done by Steibler and Hsie for SH3 and Thedarkwraith for SH5 which by the way is a newer game than SH4. Like I said unfounded concern.
well, then, you have it solved.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 10:42 PM   #17
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Ahoy BH, What type of CWC mod do you wish to have? One type is to add cold cloth for all crew members, including the men inside the boat; The other type is to add cloth only for deck watch and deck gun crew.

The first one could be dynamic, just like the one in Dark Waters, but i assumed it's not historical because it always very hot inside a sub.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 12:03 AM   #18
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

[QUOTE=flaminus;2802553]Ahoy BH, What type of CWC mod do you wish to have? One type is to add cold cloth for all crew members, including the men inside the boat; The other type is to add cloth only for deck watch and deck gun crew.

I will PM you.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 09:38 AM   #19
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1755
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
well, then, you have it solved.
No I don't have it solved. The people I mentioned have it solved. You should go and check out what they did to do it legally. They made apps which will do it for you but you have to modify your own .exe per the instructions provided by the modder. That is not illegal. It just has to be done the right way. I mean really, I cant believe that there are people who don't know this in the SH4 community.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 10:40 AM   #20
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Ok, so explain to me why it has been done by Steibler and Hsie for SH3 and Thedarkwraith for SH5 which by the way is a newer game than SH4. Like I said unfounded concern.

+1

I also think the law was designed and intended to prevent others from taking someone else's work, modifying it, and then reselling it for profit. In the case of mods, all of the end users have actually bought and paid for the unmodified code and THEN applied the modified code to their originally unmodified code. Clearly not being sold for profit, nor undercutting the sales of the original unmodified code. In fact, it's somewhat prolonging the sales life of the original code.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 04:49 PM   #21
J0313
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
+1

I also think the law was designed and intended to prevent others from taking someone else's work, modifying it, and then reselling it for profit. In the case of mods, all of the end users have actually bought and paid for the unmodified code and THEN applied the modified code to their originally unmodified code. Clearly not being sold for profit, nor undercutting the sales of the original unmodified code. In fact, it's somewhat prolonging the sales life of the original code.
That is exactly the point I was trying to make but I don't think they bought the code.
Old 04-11-22, 06:17 PM   #22
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

To quote a portion of their 'modern' UConnect EULA:
"...
Ubisoft grants the User a non-exclusive and non-transferable Licence to use the Multimedia Product, but remains the owner of all the rights relating thereto.
Any rights not specifically transferred by this Licence remain the property of Ubisoft.
The User is authorised to use the Multimedia Product in accordance with the instructions provided in the manual or on the packaging of the Multimedia Product.
The Licence is granted solely for private use.

It is not permitted:
- To make copies of the Multimedia Product,
- To operate the Multimedia Product commercially,
- To use it contrary to morality or the laws in force,
- To modify the Multimedia Product or create any derived work,
- To transmit the Multimedia Product via a telephone network or any other electronic means, except during multi-player games on authorised networks,
- To create or distribute unauthorised levels and/or scenarios,
- To decompile, reverse engineer or disassemble the Multimedia Product.
..."
Plus, they are still charging $9.99 US regularly on their web site store front (US) for SHII (yes, "2" - T.U.E...), III, 4 & 5. That tells me they still feel they own and protect their copyright, though it may not seem like it most of the time. I am inclined to leave sleeping dogs lie in this regard, especially for SH4 & 5. Others might feel led as you fellers. You never know. They did grant permission for folks on SubSim to re-work portions of SHII / Destroyer Command years ago to make online playing possible, and they have basically side-stepped SH3 distribution, but...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 07:19 PM   #23
J0313
Grey Wolf

- To create or distribute unauthorised levels and/or scenarios.

Just with that statement alone half of the stuff on here is probably illegal. Bah!!
Old 04-11-22, 07:23 PM   #24
J0313
Grey Wolf

I would really like to know how many people that have posted in this thread have actually looked at the hard code modifications that have been done for SH3 and 5. It sounds to me like none other than Bubblehead and myself.
Old 04-12-22, 12:59 AM   #25
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
- To create or distribute unauthorised levels and/or scenarios.

Just with that statement alone half of the stuff on here is probably illegal. Bah!!
That's kind of what I'm getting at. Interpretation. For my thinking, that line applies to all the lines above it, and has to do with altering the product's internal binary code for non-Ubi profit. I know I don't have the brains or know-how to build a hex-edited injection file set. But even if I did, I do not trust software companies. The way I look at it though, is mods of all sorts help Ubisoft's sales of the SH series, actually prolonging their life, and they really should encourage folks to tinker with the internals by releasing more documentation. It is an old 'engine'. But they should tone-down the draconian language... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 01:15 AM   #26
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That's kind of what I'm getting at. Interpretation. For my thinking, that line applies to all the lines above it, and has to do with altering the product's internal binary code for non-Ubi profit. I know I don't have the brains or know-how to build a hex-edited injection file set. But even if I did, I do not trust software companies. The way I look at it though, is mods of all sorts help Ubisoft's sales of the SH series, actually prolonging their life, and they really should encourage folks to tinker with the internals by releasing more documentation. It is an old 'engine'. But they should tone-down the draconian language... lol
Was sitting here thinking...

The only reason, that Ubi... hasn't seriously pushed on that, is... that they would basically, be killing the goose (or in this case, geese) that are laying their golden eggs, for them.

That mods (& the modders here, for the most part...) have driven the thrust of their 'coinage' gains from SH3, 4... (& in a weeee small part) 5. Not to take anything away from those that do what they do, to make 5, NOT be sooo much, of a dumpster fire that Ubi shoved it out the pipe, as...

They could, raise a stink about it... BUT...

on the other hand, they have done... NOTHING... at all, to update any of it, &... it has been well documented, that for all intents... they consider sub simming, a dead end niche... sad, but... true. From a certain view point.

Add to that, for all intents & purposes, because of that... the only thing Ubi hasn't done, is kick the corpse into the ground & start shoving dirt over it... yet.

To those of us, who play... (& enjoy the SH lineage...) do NOT see it as a niche thing.

In its own way, it is a means & methodology, to keep history alive & never forget.

At least to Me, My own opinion on that... whether any one else feels the same way... dunno, but... I hope it is thought of in that light, by others...

*sighs* any way, that's just My thoughts about it...

M. M.