SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Best of Subsim > Previous year Best of SUBSIM Nominations
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-21, 11:24 AM   #1
Subsim Monitor
System Monitor Bot

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3
Default Best of SUBSIM noms - Most Helpful

Noms for Most Helpful

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 02-03-22 at 04:59 PM.
Subsim Monitor  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-22, 11:41 PM   #2
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 32

Stewy1 has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Forum: Dangerous Waters

Posted by: Kapitan
Nominated Post: Link
Quote:
Mission report 688 V Sierra II using RA 1.53

This is what I have found note that I couldn’t play your mission you uploaded as it says it’s a 688 file (File is .mss should be .mu), so what I did was create my own scenario, set to war time and on the nav map placed a circle 20nm in diameter.
I then set the 688 and me to several dynamic locations so we shouldn’t show up in the same place all the time, I did a few dummy runs with show truth on to make sure dynamic location was working.

This mission was a pretty long one it took me 4 hours and 30 minuets most of which was spent on the sonar, and at the kettle making cups of tea.

This is the mission set up

Both 688 and Sierra II start at 250ft or 76m at 5 knots Ladder box patrol set up, 688 has his towed array deployed, the weather is clear sea state 3 bottom type is rock and there’s a convergence zone.

Sierra II Load out

Tube Number (1) USET 80 (2) USET 80 (3) TEST 71M (4) TEST 71M (5) SS-N-15 (6) Korund
Stores: (5) TEST 71M (3) SS-N-15 (5) USET 80 (8) Korund (0) PMT-1 (0) Skhval
Counter measures: Tubed: 1 Active 1 Passive Reloads: (17) Active (8) Passive

Notes: TEST 71M max depth 400m USET 80 max depth 1000m

Navigation notes: I have used both the 3 minuet and 6 minuet rules in this scenario if your not aware of what they are here is what they are

3 min rule: Speed x 100 = Yards travelled in 3 mins (multiply by 20 for the hour)
6 min rule: Speed / 10 = Miles travelled in 6 mins (you can multiply this by 10 for the hour)

Deck Log

1200 Enter into the game submarine is at 5 knots 76meters course 000
1201 Extended towed array noted layer is at 142m
1203 Reset all torpedo settings from default range set at 1500yrds speed 35knots ceiling 2m & max
1251 New contact detected changed course 270 contact started to vanish
1253 Course correction 290
1259 Contact lost changed course 320
1302 New course 000 to sweep Contact regained
1313 Turned to 060 to resolve ambiguity
1324 Turned again to 220 to resolve ambiguity
1333 Contact confirmed as own ship
1349 Dived to 500m

Reasons for my manoeuvres and settings: The settings on the weapons are such that the minimum safe distance from submarine is set 1500m I don’t want the torpedo arming too far out as the enemy boat maybe closer, also the ceiling is set to 2m and the torpedo maximum depth to give the weapon its full range.
The course changes are to confirm I have a ghost and correct track via the TA as I don’t have a hull contact, notice though I didn’t leave enough time to let the towed array go straight this is a mistake!
I kept turning to ID the track and should have let the TA straighten out I may have concluded quicker I was tracking my own ship, so here I have wasted about 40/45 minutes in tracking myself.

I have dived to well below the layer here 500m this will enable me to sprint and drift, although I do want some power to keep going forward hence why I return to 5 knots, the sub effectively drifts from 20knots to 5 knots which is enough in this instance.

1359 Increased speed 20 knots
1415 Decreased speed 5 knots
1528 Course change 340
1540 Increased speed 15 knots

Reasons for my manoeuvres: Right now at this point I have no contacts, so at this point I am projecting where he maybe, knowing that he is in the circle somewhere I decide to head towards the centre of the circle.
I have changed course to 340 and left 12 minutes to allow the towed array to go straight and see if any new contacts are out there, when satisfied there’s none I speed up to 15 knots, to sprint and drift for 6 minutes.

1546 Decreased speed 5 knots
1551 New contact
1552 Course change 300 to resolve Towed array ambiguity
1555 Ascending to 180 meters ambiguity resolved classified 688
1659 Decreased speed to 2 knots
1614 Increased speed 5 knots
1624 Ascending to 70m
1625 Decrease speed 4 knots

Reasons for my manoeuvres: After decreasing I go on the hunt again, and find a new contact, this time the hull and towed array are seeing the same contact so I turn to get a Master contact.
I initially ascend to 180 meters and set speed 2 knots as I don’t want to spook the contact.
Once I have a firm handle on the narrow band 50hz I increase to 5 knots and decrease depth to 70m this is to pop up above the layer.
I slow to 4 knots by mistake I could have stayed at 5 knots, however popping up you can go slower to 1knot this is almost the same as sprint and drift, it will make it harder for him to see you crossed the layer.

1626 HF Sonar detects object at bearing 277 sets HF Sonar mark on nav map visual confirm estimate target 2-3nm tracking left to right
1627 Tube 1 readied and fired USET 80
1628 Loud explosion bearing 288 close aboard 700 yards
1630 Mission end

Reasons for my manoeuvres: I have a slight hunch the enemy boat is fairly close my estimation put him 2-3nm from me so I figured I would have a look at the forward looking HF Sonar, this is me just trying to visualise the enemy and if I can see a blip and I do

I watch the HF sonar for a minuet and I know he is tracking left to right on my bow, the HF Sonar has put a mark on my nav map so I go to the weapons station and set my torpedo to go active at 500m, the reason I have done this is because 1. I want to see a reaction 2. He is close in and I don’t want to chance my guess too much.

I have selected tube 1 USET 80 in active mode, I know he has the MK48 ADCAP and at this range I don’t want to give him a chance to shoot back too quickly, for at least 60-90 seconds he will be trying to figure out what’s coming his way so that’s my window and I ready the Korund for firing. Down the same track as the torpedo.

Just before I fire, I am readying to dive to 500m and speed up to 25 knots and make a turn to 210 this will enable me to try and get outside his torpedo cone, at this point I’m also readying my countermeasures and preparing to reload and make another turn back to 300 once at depth.

I am also thinking he will make a turn to around 290 and speed up to get out of my torpedo cone, and he will likely dive below the layer, at this point I am almost lined up for a second shot if he does do this.
This is what some would call 3rd stage thinking as I’m trying to anticipate the next 2 moves the torpedo he will fire at me will make, and also the moves he is likely to make.

What I didn’t anticipate was that he was much closer than I thought being at a range of about 700 yards, this is where my prior planning for setting the weapon with a shorter enable range paid off.
But what I did notice was as soon as I fired he did seem to speed up and was turning, I noticed this on the HF sonar.

Edited note: I also draw out my course changes on paper so I don't have to keep switching to the nav map all the time, it looks like this, the red ink is enemy and you can see i note my bearing changes 1cm is roughly 1nm, its not accurate it just helps to keep me in some sort of picture to show me my own track.
The smaller drawing is my track and fire points the green box is my aim point the red line is the current enemy sub track. each dash line is roughly 0.5 nm hence my estimate of 2-3nm

Conclusion

So over all here is the big take away, notice in the earlier part of the mission I majorly screwed up by wasting time tracking myself, this is a schoolboy error on my part and I should have known better.
Sometimes simply projecting where the enemy maybe can work out and it did in this case, it doesn’t always go that way I simply in this instance got lucky.

I did watch the replay and he started off around 16 maybe 18nm away from me to the North West (I started in the South East corner of the circle again dynamic location was on my boat too). so, my theory of head for the centre in this case was correct. Don’t forget I did set multiple dynamic locations for this mission in various spots across the map.

On watching the replay, he initially started heading east, then turned south and spent a considerable time heading south too at least an hour, during this time I was screwing myself over tracking my own ship, but effectively we closed the gap between us during this time.

He turned west for about 8 minutes, then doubled back heading east before finally heading northeast and running right into me.

Personally, I simply got lucky here that’s all with the way it all worked out and managed to fire first. Had I been a bit ahead of him, and maybe on the same layer I think he likely would have fired on me first, I am fairly confident that if I re ran the mission chances are he would get the better of me.

If this helps feel free to hit the diamond on the bottom left of the page :salute:
Stewy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-22, 04:44 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Onkel Neal has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Post: Another example of his consistent good will and assistance.
Forum: Silent Hunter III

Posted by: Pisces
Quote:
There is a bug in SH3 where sometimes your career profile becomes invisible in the game. Simply a mater of adding a character to the name of the folder in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\SH3\data\cfg\Careers\ and it should show up again.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 07:01 PM   #4
Hungo
Seaman

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Hungo has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Forum: Silent Hunter 5

Posted by: Kal_Maximus_U669
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungo View Post
3. I saw a "compass_tutorial.pdf" in mod's document folder; it's about a special compass with inner and outer circles, both ring could rotate, to perform specific actions. Yet in the game I can't find such a compass, where is it?

I've been searching all day for this and I cannot find it as well. I even tried to change the UI's to SH4 and SH3 and its still no there.
look carefully you should have it in the right part at the top of the card

This is what you are looking for...

:D:salute:
Hungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 08:14 AM   #5
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

fitzcarraldo has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Forum: SH4 Mods Workshop

Posted by: KaleunMarco
Nominated Post: 194305NarwAttu.mis
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Yes, we do have that KM, thanks. You sent it via PM. Like a few other missions, it is "sharing" a MapZone for both an Objective and a Trigger, which usually just makes the Objective impossible to complete, but a CTD would not surprise me. Does it happen when you are about 12nm from the "Wait" location symbol? :salute:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
my apologies, i couldn't find the exchange in the PM box either. may be i deleted it (it seems like i am always at 99% utilization :oops:).

the CTD happens a bit further than 12 nm from the Wait Pennant Symbol...more like 20-25 nm.

can i remove the "holding objective" without ruining the other objectives and the mission?
addendum: apparently, removing the Hold Area Objective, Triggers, and Zone does not make this mission playable. it still CTDs as we close the landing area.
ok....did some additional research and determined that we can get to within approx 34 miles of the first drop zone before CTD (63 km).
so, what mission condition occurs when the user-boat gets to that point?
this is the key to the problem.
i have no idea.
+++
i noticed what could be an anomaly. there are two APD's defined in the mission. one starts life on May 11, 1943 and the other starts life on July 1, 1943. was this purposeful?

++++++
i removed all references to the Holding Area because the first occurrence of the CTD happened as we entered the Holding Area. - made no difference.
changed the entry date of APD#1 to match APD#2 - made no difference.
noticed that the mission briefing was greater than 900 characters. abbreviated a few words to get is under 900. - made no difference.
noticed that the waypoints of APD#2 caused an error message within the Mission Editor. Fixed those. - made no difference.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-22, 04:16 PM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Forum: COLD WATERS

Posted by: Cy-Fox
Quote:
Welcome aboard Zero_Niner
Bearing in mind the QRG is from 2017 but I looked at what you're referencing and I can understand the confusion. Alpha seems to suggest the top row of number keys on your keyboard rather than the numeric keypad (if applicable) which is keypad

Number Row Keys and Commands:
1: Weapon Sensor
2: Weapon Search
3: Weapon Depth
4: Activate Torpedo
Shift+4: Cut Wire
No binds for: 5, 6, 7
8: Radar Mast Raise/Lower
9: ESM Mast Raise/Lower
0: Periscope Raise/Lower
Old 04-14-22, 08:01 AM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

$vbphrase[in_nominate_pagetext]
Text Onkel Neal has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: This guy is always patient and helpful.
Forum: Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Space & Other

Posted by: ET2SN
Quote:
In many ways, the smaller scales (1/72nd to even 1/350th) are easier for figure painting. :up: Just find a good base color (keeping in mind the basic uniform color) and go for it. After that, maybe use a darker "wash" color to bring out some shadows and you're done.

The key to the smaller scales is "don't try to over do it". Keep it as basic as possible (including the uniforms) or else find a REALLY tiny brush. :D
Old 04-18-22, 04:10 PM   #8
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65

Oubaas has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: I was getting curious about "Jutland" on a high-power modern PC under Windows 10, and Randomizer took the time to answer my query about the game in detail.

This sort of helpfulness is what has kept me coming back to the subsim.com community for so many years.
Forum: Jutland

Nominated Member: Randomizer
Quote:
You deserve an answer from a long-time Jutland user and I had actually expected some ardent fan to endorse the games.

Quote:
How's the game play?
In my view it's mostly crap with the odd Golden Moment. After experiencing one of the latter, you realize just how much potential SES squandered with their ridiculous DRM, contempt for their customer base and deliberately rejecting any user modding.

Speaking as someone who was once paid real money to teach artillery ballistics and munitions I can observe that SES liked to pretend that their trajectory modelling was somehow realistic but its not and never was. Opening salvo hits at long ranges actually happened but are statistically so rare as to be improbable and yet they are uncomfortably common in the games and that is just the tip of the flawed ahistorical and technical iceberg that is the entire game system.

I would not waste my money again, knowing what I know now and having the complete Jutland/Distant Guns franchise for more than a decade have a pretty solid grasp on the game play and history (more lack thereof really) behind the battles and campaigns.

If I had any, my mantra would probably be along the lines of "Friends don't let friends buy Jutland" and you can take that any way you like. The games have their fans, who forgive it for all of its myriad of faults but they also have their haters, who too often damn it for not doing things that it was never designed to do. For me it scratches a very occasional visual itch but I spend far more time with Steam and Iron, which does the history and technology of its eras much better.

Even after the two Ship Packs there are still significant capital ships missing and Map Pack 1, Coronel and the Falklands was released broken and never fixed so you have been warned. The graphics are dated, I cannot speak to the game's performance in Win-10 but I consistently get 40+ fps using an oldish Win-7 desktop in even the largest battles. Sadly and for the most part, those battles are often no fun at all.

-C
Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-22, 10:41 PM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: Glad to see an old master helping with SH1 !
Forum: Classic Subsims

Nominated Member: ChristopherTarana
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtimer View Post
OK,Ihave got it to the stage where it requests the CD and of course ignores the CD when I insert it into the CD Drive.The problem is the I do not have the sh.ini file/folder and no matter how I look for it on the CD or the installation on the HD,I cannot see it.Could some kind person email it to me ? Thank You

You have to copy the 10.smk file from the CD to the C:\Silent\Bud\ folder. Then it should stop asking for the CD! There is a ShPath.ini that needs editing in the original software! :up:

Christopher Tarana
Old 05-15-22, 05:41 PM   #10
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

fitzcarraldo has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: Helpful member.
Forum: SH4 Mods Workshop

Nominated Member: Kal_Maximus_U669
Quote:
Hello to all friends... :salute:
for those who use vickers mods do not use the "GatoLadder3" scale since the interior corrects it...
the only problem I have and the next one see screen...is that on Porpoise.. Tambor.. I haven't tried the others yet
the exhaust smoke on Tambor is not the...
I thank Vickers for having adapted his jewels to this splendid BH mod.. :up:

:salute::salute:
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-22, 07:18 AM   #11
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: Responsive to an obscure request, how do you get more helpful than that?
Forum: Classic Subsims

Nominated Member: Andreas86
Quote:
Hi Sapphire! I am investegating this :03: I have extracted all .dat files from the game, but cannot make much sense of them yet. I am going through the program files in hex, and so far I can only find references to "U-" and then the variable "%" right after. I feel that I have seen the various numbers while digging earlier. Will report back on any findings :salute:
Old 05-26-22, 10:03 PM   #12
SonnySmiles
Monsun Gruppe

Downloads: 217

SonnySmiles has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: I had been struggling with using a mod silent hunter 4 dark waters
This guy just shows out of no where like a fox lol
He also had a mod made and this was totally random but he solved a problem of my U-boats always being sent to the Pacific when they was based in the atlantic this plagued me for a long time and I thought God hated me
This in my opinion is worthy of an award :)
I
Forum: SH4 ATO Mods

Nominated Member: KaleunMarco
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnySmiles View Post
I'm about to start a game but need some help
I played once before in a ixc/40 traveling from lorient to pengang
My questions are what do I do for setting up my crew
Last time I played I just filled all the compartments by saving and the reloading to fill the lot
Do I just fill the crew compartment and play? And do I fill the conning tower?
this is a personal preference. some Kaleuns like a full crew and others like to have some unfilled billets in order to move injured crew. personally, i think your crew number should correspond to their skill level. if you have a highly skilled crew you can probably operate at 100% efficiency with less than 100% of the billets filled. Less individual skills means that you probably need to have more bodies to boost the performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnySmiles View Post
Last question guys
Does traveling from lorient to pengang upset the game as I have it all set for the Pacific theater on the mods?
i have a fix for this. apply it to the end of your mod list and restart your career. it should eliminate your Kiel-based Uboat being assigned to a Pacific mission off the coast of Australia. :D
SonnySmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-22, 06:40 AM   #13
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: He found a mod that another user was looking for!
Forum: SUBSIM® SUBscribers Lounge - BONUS MODS

Nominated Member: FUBAR295
Quote:
Try here :

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l2ac9...onment.7z/file

Good hunting,
FUBAR295
Old 05-27-22, 06:40 AM   #14
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: Suggested an alternate mod, very nice
Forum: SUBSIM® SUBscribers Lounge - BONUS MODS

Nominated Member: fitzcarraldo
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Ok, it appears the modder took that file down. I do not see it on the server, which is why you are getting the Invalid File message.

You may want to check this:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4620
A lot better. Also SH5 Environment for SH3: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4484

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo :Kaleun_Salute:
Old 06-03-22, 03:42 PM   #15
Xerxes
Bosun

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 10

Xerxes has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Most Helpful
Nomination basis: He managed to find me a working copy of a very old, decently obscure program.
Forum: SHIII Mods Workshop

Nominated Member: Jeff-Groves
Quote:
PM sent
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote