SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-29-17, 07:58 AM   #181
Te Kaha
Navy Dude

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 2

1997 was very different to nowadays....

Back then I was living in another town, had a different job, plenty of time left to play computer games, was solo and chasing women (more or less unsuccessfully...)

Now I live in the countryside, have yet another different job, almost no time left to play computer games, am married, and we have a 7 year old son (who keeps telling me what to do )

Times are changing, aren't they?

Happy anniversary, Neal. Running the same webpage for 20 years is quite an achievement!
Te Kaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-17, 08:16 AM   #182
liljoentx
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Icon14

In July of 1997, I celebrated having my Texas Real Estate Salesperson license for one year, and was also celebrating my 5th year back at NASA with Boeing ISC (Information Systems Contract). It was almost as much fun as when I was maintaining the LEM (Lunar Excursion Module) simulator for Link back in the late 60s! You know, the one we trained our Moon Landing Astronauts on. That was a simulator!

But, back in June of 1997, we had a birthday party for my paternal GrandMa up in Austin. She was celebrating her 101st birthday. Nana had a chance to live in two millennia, but she decided to cash in her chips in October of 1999, at the wonderful age of 103 and 4 months! She was a grand lady!

But, Happy 20th, Neal, maybe SubSim will endure for another 80 years! As a former Boomer Sailor (I served on the USS Cubera, SS-347, also), I'm very anxious to see what the Navy comes up with as a design for the new FBM (Fleet Ballistic Missile) sub, or Ohio Replacement. Best to all in 2017!

liljoentx
liljoentx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-17, 09:30 AM   #183
HamrHedZ
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 89
Default 97

in 97 I was 43 and had a great family thing going on at that time ,2 sons , 7 and 4 years old and a great wife who loved to cook.
I was a truckdriver then and I am still a truckdriver,
I am thankful to Subsim community for the different mods and info for the various SH games.
I play the SH4 and just completed my first career. As my time is limited I play a little at a time. I am starting a new career , I only play career in most games , and will be trying out RFB this time around
Thanks Onkel Neal and everyone in Subsim and congrats on surviving 20 years.
I raise a glass to your next 20 years.
HamrHedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-17, 10:04 AM   #184
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

I remembered something cool from '97. The Internet then was not like now in every house, it was a rare and expensive.
So, with a bunch of friends, we regularly organized a so called LAN parties.
One big room, lots of beers and cigarettes, chaos of cables, shouts, cries, emotions till the morning.
Old 01-29-17, 03:08 PM   #185
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

1997 was my first experience with the Internet and I remember taking my hour slot at the library downloading a single Mars Pathfinder image. Forget Microsoft Terraserver. It took most of an hour to paste together a mosaic for a single view, but we were amazed. We were amazed again when Microsoft killed the project, never seeing the potential, but opening up the opportunity for Google Earth, where people of vision could take the idea and run with it.

I got appendicitis that year and the doctors didn't think a 43 year old should be able to get appendicitis. I had a great case of septicemia when they finally operated on me and had all my guts laid out on the operating table for a few hours, cleaning up every possible bit of infection. They flooded my insides with antibiotics and my bowels with laxatives and put me back together. That night I found that there are some things that totally override pain--like dragging my IV stand to the bathroom what seemed to be a mile away so I didn't....... The pain didn't mean a thing right then.

I was married with two children, nine and six years old, happy to be alive after the appendicitis party. And I still am! Still married to the same wonderful woman, my daughter is married to a Navy man in Norfolk and my son works for Sam's Club in the Austin, Texas area. Now I have two projects here at Subsim, Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition and the Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System. It's been a blast and I look forward to the next 20 years at Subsim.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-17, 05:27 PM   #186
catbloc
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

My family and I had just moved out of the city off to a little country town where I could mess around in the woods and be a kid. I'd still rather live in the city...
Old 01-29-17, 06:46 PM   #187
Angry Viking
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
date A trip down memory lane...

Let me think...
  • I started working in IT
  • Got my first car
  • Had my 20th birthday.
  • Built my own 1000Mbps LAN in my condo

I enjoyed playing lots of submarine games at the time, I can't really remember the titles of the top of my mind.

1997 was also the year I visited a nuclear submarine.

I also remember the summer hit that year: Paradisio with Bailando, at least where I lived.

-Thor-
Angry Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 01:25 AM   #188
Sashbro2
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 93
Default Hmm 1997

Not much going on in 1997 for me i think but I was born on the 10th of May that year
Sashbro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 08:09 AM   #189
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

1997 was the year we moved from Death Moans, Iowa (Des Moines, also known as Da Groin) to Lexington, Ky. We had closed down a major contract after losing an opportunity to rebid, and my job in KY was to close out that unsuccessful contract next. Our expectation was that we would be in Kentucky for one year or less. Unfortunately, we found that the problems and the customer relationship were easily repaired through attention to meeting performance requirements. Long story short, we turned it around, won a rebid, learned to like (most things about) Kentucky, especially Bourbon and the Cats, and we are still here. Who woulda thunk?? Now retired, I await my wife's retirement so we can move back to Colorado. Can't happen soon enough! I can't remember when I started with SH, but it was probably in the late 90's. SH4 has proven to be the one that still holds my interest over all other games and sims, from the Jane's series through all the Call of Duty issues. Subsim is definitely the best support site, bar none!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 11:00 AM   #190
PhantomLord
XO

Downloads: 124

after getting my driving license in December 1996 i get my hands on my first car! A nice green automatic transmission Mitsubishi Colt.
Finally i was able to join our regular LAN-Partys and transport all the stuff by myself.

i had my 21 birthday

i managed to install and play UltimaOnline!

i laughed my ass of while Mercedes failed the "Elch-Test" with the new A-Class
Old 01-30-17, 03:41 PM   #191
Chowhound
Swabbie

Downloads: 156
Default 97

1997 - I was a new Dad with my first child, so I did not much time in those days to game. I was a skinny chowhound in those days......

Fast forward to today, and my son is now 20 and in college. I am still married to my wife of 28 years and live with her and my younger son.
Discovered Subsim and SH3 in 2006. I have enjoyed the journey through SH3 to Grey Wolves to SH4 in multiple flavors. Tinkering with SH5 mods.

Thank you Subsim for 11 years of great fun!
Chowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 04:28 PM   #192
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290

Well, I had just gotten hired with the Sheriff's Office. Also was big into gaming with the original Fallout game. Decided to use it to propose to my wife. I pulled up an inventory screen and taped her engagement ring to the screen. Then yelled for her to come see what I just looted. She said yes and has been addicted to video games with me ever since!

Jack
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-17, 04:37 PM   #193
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Chowhound! after a seven year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-17, 02:53 AM   #194
Johann Vilthomsen
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 28

1997 was the best of my life. I met Esther, who became my wife and mother of my daughter.

Congratulations to you, Neal!

Old 01-31-17, 07:04 AM   #195
Sapyhr
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 2
Default My Story to this Thread

I was born in 1998 so at the end of 1997 i was still growing in my mothers body, but i dont think thats what you wanted to hear so here is an interresting part of my live. The Story of "How i got used to Computers". It all started when i was around 6 years old and my daddy told me the basics of a computer and that you mostly need to double click something very fast in order to run it. A little bit later, when i was around 8 years old he showed me the first game i played, it was a top down car racing game but i dont know what its name was sadly, i would love to try it again after such a long time!In this time(me being 8 years old) my mother teached me some things too, for example that putting the desktop icon of something into the trashbin doesnt actually delete the whole application/programm/installation and she showed me how to properly install and deinstall things when i was older. It was such a different time back then for me i wish i could relive that time if its possible.

thank you and greetings out for everyone else ^^

Last edited by Sapyhr; 01-31-17 at 07:09 AM. Reason: fixing spelling errors
Sapyhr is offline   Reply With Quote