SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-16, 06:43 AM   #91
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

That does make sense.

Do you remember the discussion we were having about the ballast tanks?

I am still trying to find online documentation that explains the saddle tanks/main ballast tanks/negative tank.

Cutaway illustration

Illustrations never show the saddle tanks in detail. But this one shows 81 - Main immersion tank and 93 - Main fuel tank

and this illustration shows the MB#3 below the control room, like the illustration outside of U-995. On the third section, it lists "MB and RFO Tank 2 Port", is that inside the saddle bulges? I think you were saying that the saddle tanks are one long "tank" with baffles to separate the sections, is that right? So the MB2 and MB4 are contained inside the saddle bulges...?

And of course it shows MB#5 in the center bow, which I would assume is flooded before the stern tank to get the bow down.

There is a "Neg.Buoyancy Tank Port". If that is the "negative" tank (or tanks, one on each side I suppose), that sure seems like a small tank to get you down quickly.

I'm tempted to build a time machine just to go back and answer these questions.
Old 08-09-16, 09:07 AM   #92
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

gear

^ I'd come with your time machine, but minus the depth charges please

"Untertriebszellen" would be something like negative buoyancy cells, maybe to break the surface energy (but i doubt this plays a major role), but in any case to minimise the diving time.

Afaik a usual VII type boat had two of those, located near (left and right of the ballast tank 3, or main ballast tank) the control room, at the center of gravity of the boat. They were operated together, though Werner in his "Iron coffins" speaks about flooding the "fore part" only(?), to increase the diving angle faster in case of a dive. This may be wrong though, Werner's book is more of a novel than a real report, and has been criticized for a lot of wrong technical descriptions. The man "Werner" seems to have never existed, though the man using this pseudonym knew "a bit" about U-boats.

As soon as the U.-cells are flooded, the boat is running with closed upper venting valves, to be able to blow them asap after diving. In case they cannot be blown immediately after the sail submerging, the boat is in danger to "fall through" and get too deep, out of control.

From the "Tauchvorschrift für Unterseeboote":

Untertriebszellen

131. Bei Booten mit Untertriebszellen wird wie folgt verfahren: Die Untertriebszellen werden, wenn das Boot alarmtauchklar ist, über Wasser gefüllt gefahren, so daß dem Boot ein der Größe der Zellen entsprechender Untertrieb gegeben ist. Nach der Ausführung des Befehls „Fluten“ und merklicher Falltendenz werden die Untertriebszellen auf den Befehl des L.I. „Ausdrücken“ ausgedrückt.

(131. If the boat has negative buoyancy cells, the procedures are as follows: The U.-cells are being flooded when the boat is running surfaced, and in "ready to submerge" state (edit: alarmtauchklar=all men at diving positions, boat prepared for emergency dive - so .. usual condition in enemy waters), so that there is an appropriate negative buoyancy. After execution of the order "Fluten" (edit: flood the tanks!) and a perceptible tendency of falling, the cells are being blown out by order of the LI (Leitender Ingenieur).

Der beste Zeitpunkt des Ausdrückens für mittlere Boote ist eine Tiefe von etwa 8 bis 10 m, für große Boote eine Tiefe von 10 bis 12 m. Erfahrungsgemäß beruht die Wirkung der Untertriebszellen in erster Linie im schnelleren Durchbrechen durch die Wasseroberfläche beim Tauchen. Da die schnelle Erreichung großer Tiefen fast ausschließlich von der Lastigkeit und der Fahrtstufe abhängig ist (etwa 25 bis 30°, 2 x G.F.), ist es falsch, die Untertriebszellen auf größerer Tiefe auszudrücken, da der äußerst geringe Vorteil in keinem Verhältnis zu der Gefahr steht, in die das Boot in einem solchen Falle geraten kann. Insbesondere steigen der Luftverbrauch und die Ausdrückdauer ganz erheblich.

(The best time for the blowing ballast of boats of middle size is a depth of 8-10 meters, for big boats a depth of 10-12 meters.
From experience the essential effect of the U.-cells is one of breaking through the water surface during a dive. Because the reaching of greater depths is almost entirely dependent of angle and speed (ca. 25 to 30°, 2x all ahead) it is wrong to blow them out at greater depth, because the advantage would not be in due proportion to the danger, the boat will be in. Especially wastage of air and the time of the blowing ballast increase badly.)

132. L.I.: „Ausdrücken“.

Daraufhin wird das Ventil „Ausdrücken Untertriebszellen“ aufgerissen und mit höchstmöglichem Druck (20 bis 30 at) ausgedrückt. [...]

(132. LI: "Blow ballast".
With this order the "Blow U.-cell" valve will be torn open, and be blown out by the utmost pressure (20-30 at). [...]

The general procedure was to have the U.-cells being fully blown at 19 meters of depth.

From the plan you posted you can see the the one big main air induction tube coming from the conning tower and ending at the centered valve in the engine room above our heads, which had to be closed when diving. The two smaller wheels near it at the sides were for the closing/opening of the two exhausts, which had to be thoroughly maintaind for closing properly. Diesel exhausts and carbon used to build up on the valve surfaces, so they had to be sanded and polished regularly. I guess we spoke about that too, but..

All the best,
CF

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-16, 03:42 PM   #93
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post

Afaik a usual VII type boat had two of those, located near (left and right of the ballast tank 3, or main ballast tank) the control room, at the center of gravity of the boat. They were operated together, though Werner in his "Iron coffins" speaks about flooding the "fore part" only(?), to increase the diving angle faster in case of a dive. This may be wrong though, Werner's book is more of a novel than a real report, and has been criticized for a lot of wrong technical descriptions. The man "Werner" seems to have never existed, though the man using this pseudonym knew "a bit" about U-boats.
Wait, what? You're saying Herbert Werner was not a real captain?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Werner
Old 08-09-16, 04:47 PM   #94
Catfish

Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Wait, what? You're saying Herbert Werner was not a real captain?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Werner
Umm, well, i do now believe he really was a U-boat-'Kommandant', however i was not so sure some time ago, and you, too:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//arc.../t-167387.html

Looking at this thread of a bygone time, i wonder where a lot of those subsim members are hiding now

Old 08-09-16, 05:06 PM   #95
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Here is some more information:
http://www.uboat.net/men/werner_herbert.htm

Ships hit by Herbert A. Werner

No entries found.
Old 08-10-16, 01:49 AM   #96
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Ships hit by Herbert A. Werner
No entries found.
^Actually as stated, no ships were hit by u-boats under Werner's command- U-415 & U-953. However in his service aboard U-230 as second officer, he probably hit the only one merchant Egyptian....sunk on patrol 7MAR1943 at 02.10 hrs. U-230 attacked the convoy SC-121 south-southeast of Cape Farewell and torpedoed the Egyptian. Siegmann thought that his victim sank and attacked the convoy again at 09.25 hours. He claimed the sinking of another ship with 5000 tons in the former position of the Steam Merchnt Egyptian, but it seems that both attacks were carried out on the same ship. The master, 36 crew, and nine gunners were lost. http://uboat.net/allies/merchants/crews/ship2723.html
Quote:
Werner followed Commander Siegmann along with the crew to a U-boat familiarization (Baubelehrung) for a new boat in Oct and on 24 Oct 1942 they commissioned the new Type VIIC boat U-230 at Kiel.
On U-230 as First Watch Officer (1WO) young Ltn. Herbert A. Werner served on the boat for 171 days at sea during 4 patrols from Feb to Dec 1943. They only sank one small ship of 2,868 tons - as by this time the U-boats had become the hunted.
http://uboat.net/ops/convoys/convoys.php?convoy=SC-121 In the running wolfpack battle in which 10 merchants and one U-boat were sunk:
Quote:
Before dark a sharp course change is ordered in an attempt to shake off the boats but without result:U-566 and U-230 make contact and the latter sinks one ship in the night. This event goes unnoticed in the heavy gale and the rescue ship is not warned.
AS 1WO in a heavy gale night attack which had to have been a surface attack...imho
Quote:
First Watch officer: The second in command. He shadowed the CO closely so that he could take command if the CO fell ill or was killed in battle. His other responsibilities included the boat’s weapons systems and conducting torpedo aiming during surface attacks.
Thus, of the two attacks, Werner likely had to have gotten one of the hits at least. The second attack in daylight (9 gunners?) is naturally anyone's guess and was probably not a surface attack (0925) which might account for Seigmann's ID confusion and mistated tonnage.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-10-16 at 02:00 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 01:51 AM   #97
Catfish

^ I think i read (ahem lol, the friend of a cousin of the wife's father-in-law...) somewhere that Werner sank two ships, however it is possible he had served on other boats which' captains did sink other/more ships, or he did it in the position as a 1. WO or something on those boats.

As said before i believe he was real, however his book is not to be taken literally, when it comes to events he himself experienced as a commander. It is a (good) mix of real events, but he probably did not live through all of them himself. It is a novel, but (i still think) quite a good one. A lot of his observations and technical details are true.

edit Aktung how are you still awake

Old 08-10-16, 02:14 AM   #98
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
edit Aktung how are you still awake
And that on top of two nine-hour work days and 400 miles of driving!
(old people on Aracept and French Roast coffee only need four hours of rest! )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish
As said before i believe he was real, however his book is not to be taken literally, when it comes to events he himself experienced as a commander. It is a (good) mix of real events, but he probably did not live through all of them himself. It is a novel, but (i still think) quite a good one. A lot of his observations and technical details are true.
What you have expressed is called:
poetic license! He's trying to make money and it was an enjoyable read!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 05:08 AM   #99
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Umm, well, i do now believe he really was a U-boat-'Kommandant', however i was not so sure some time ago, and you, too:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//arc.../t-167387.html

Looking at this thread of a bygone time, i wonder where a lot of those subsim members are hiding now
Oh, that must have been an earlier version of Neal, I need to go back and brush up on his positions.

Well, I never doubted he was a real guy, that's what made me jump when I saw your post.
Old 08-10-16, 06:29 AM   #100
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Once more the observation perisope down in the control room, we were wondering why there are two oculars.. anyone?
Hey guys! Very nice to meet you all - and of course to see U995 again I was especially happy to see the attention the HMS Marulken devs paid to everything! Oscar (Oskar?) asked in-depth questions and clearly had the drive to truly understand things, the kind of drive I see in the best technical oriented game designers! I think the future is bright

I'll post my pics too in a while, though this time I was not really shooting much and I was careless with the pics

Regarding the periscope question, I found something interesting in the British "Report on HMS Graph" (captured U570) - http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570/U-...tishReport.htm - page 32

Zeiss Periscope No. 2523 (Watchkeeping Periscope)

Optical Data

Optical length 7 m. 55.

Main eyepiece:
Magnifications 6.1 and 1.54.
Angular field
High power
7° 15' vertical.
8° 46' horizontal.
Low power
29° 2' vertical.
36° 38' horizontal.
Exit pupil 7.0 mms.
Eye clearance 1.5 in.

Second eyepiece:
Angular field
High power 7° 3' circular.
Low power 28° 36' circular.
Eye clearance 0/75"
Elevation movement to 90°
Depression movement to 10°

So, as far as I read, one of the eyepieces presents a round image that can be raised up/down to check the sky, and the other one presents a ellipsoid image that is fixed?!

I haven't looked closely but think this might be of interest: http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570/U-570Plate27.htm

Dan

Last edited by elanaiba; 08-10-16 at 07:01 AM.
elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 12:34 PM   #101
Catfish

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba View Post
[...] Regarding the periscope question, I found something interesting in the British "Report on HMS Graph" (captured U570) - http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570/U-...tishReport.htm - page 32 Dan
Thanks Dan !

I think (not sure!) it is what Aktungbby posted from my own link:

"The ocular box of the type NLSR C/9 night periscope was fitted with additional optical system (kind of telescope), which made possible reading of the bearing while looking through the periscope. The bearing scale was visible in the upper part of the view field. This optical system consisted of prisms and lens, and transmitted the view of the bearing scale through the slit in the periscope collar to the ocular box interior. Type ASR C/13 periscope which can be seen in the U 995 control room comes most likely from the U-Hai or U-Hecht (ex U 2365 and U 2367 respectively) and was installed on U 995 in the time when (most likely) she was converted to the museum-ship (during her service in the Royal Norwegian Navy as KMN Kaura, in the control room was installed the original type NLSR C/9 periscope).

The ocular box of the type ASR C/13 periscope is simplified version of the type NLSR C/9 periscope ocular box. It is slightly smaller, however the layout of the oculars, knobs and levers is the same. The ocular box is not fitted with the optical system for showing the bearing scale in the view field (the system was probably abandoned to make the manufacture simpler, faster and cheaper). The current periscope bearing is indicated by indication line, engraved on the periscope tube. It points the current bearing at the fixed azimuth circle. That's why type ASR C/9 periscope is fitted with only one azimuth circle, with 180° mark directed toward to the bow (please note, that azimuth circle in the U 995 control room is not properly set relative to the U-Boat longitudinal line). Over the fixed azimuth circle, the deflection angle ring is located, which is used in the same way as in case of previously described periscopes."

The layout can be seen in a cross section here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=100

Old 08-11-16, 03:01 AM   #102
Catfish

Icon13 What?? www.Uboataces.com

Just found that, on their site:

"All Type VIIs were attack boats with a single-hull design – which is to say the pressure hull is also the outer hull (wrong, all were two-hull-boats). To withstand sea water pressure up to a crush depth of 250 meters, the pressure hull was further reinforced with strengthening steel ribs inside the hull (? i think those rings were outside of the inner pressure hull?). Ballast was provided by several ballast tanks situated internally and externally of the pressure hull. The main tank was just below the control room, inside the pressure hull. Outside the pressure hull, external tanks were fitted at the bow and stern. These tanks however did not provide sufficient capacity, so additional saddle tanks were fitted to the sides of the hull. Diesel fuel tanks were situated inside the pressure hull (also, but not only - fuel saddle tanks) to avoid leakages during a depth charge attack. The earliest variants were also fitted with serrated net cutters on the bow, a specification carried over from World War 1 boats, but these were quickly discontinued"

It really takes some effort to put so many mistakes into one paragraph

Old 08-11-16, 05:10 AM   #103
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post
70=ENI-GMA

JGFSS UKNI RXDO TIWT UPOP LZBQ ZWXQ IFOR AQTS MCIN LGZH LEXR CIFW VUGQ CKOP TVNS GTFTK
Hmm, can't get that to work on my virtual "Enigma".
4 cylinders? What's that "70" for?
Will have to read this manual again

Old 08-11-16, 08:40 AM   #104
Catfish

Hallo Bl!tz,
danke, werde erst am WE dazu kommen, aber vielen Dank schonmal!
Als nächstes dann mal SH3 und 5 installieren..

Do you have to use the SH vanilla version for DEF, or can it be used with mods. I guess since all should have the same conditions using the special *.exe file, you need a certain version using the same "status" for all (?)

Danke und viele Gruesse,
U-Katze

edit: wie lange bist Du noch in D.?

Old 08-23-16, 12:22 PM   #105
CORONER
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Support

Any more Fotos from this meeting?

I have now registered but do not see more than before.

Tags
kiel, meeting