SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-22-10, 03:45 PM   #76
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default Lost in set up

I have download python 3.1 and the extension from page five of the instructions. I saved a mission (the Navigation Mission). Now what? What file do i open? I do not see a file that I can access called SH4toStellarium.py.

These activation instructions are not a model of clarity. They might have been placed on page one, and lead you through this process step by step. I was totally lost on page 2, so I never read to page 5, plus the pages are not numbered. Whoever put this together, might have considered he was drafting instructions for individuals who not only might not understand how to use the programs, but also are short on programming skills. Now that I have it off my chest, what do I do now?
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 03:53 PM   #77
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910

The best way to learn the navigational stars is to first learn to recognize the shape of the constellations wherein they reside (Zodiac names).

If you have a clear sky from your own back yard tonight, have a go at it. After a bit it will become routine. There are countless books, magazines, star charts available both hard copies and online to get you started.

At sea, wx, fog, haze, rain, industrial smog, and clouds will block them from your view when you need them the most. The only exception is the sun which when sitting behind a cloud will present itself as a fuzzy cotton ball sometimes. And, even then it is usable if you use the center of mass as your target and use the center of the sun for your calculations rather than upper or lower limb.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-10, 04:41 PM   #78
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default I can double task

I will hit the deck and gaze upon the universe. Then I will run inside, start a game. But I cannot get the program to load, as I cannot decipher the instructions.
Old 08-22-10, 07:09 PM   #79
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Are you using Windows7?

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
Old 08-22-10, 07:41 PM   #80
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default don reed

Windows Version 6, Windows Vista Ultimate Operating System. (I typed winver in the command line, as Windows directed. That is what it showed I have installed.)
Old 08-22-10, 07:56 PM   #81
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Default Cel Nav

Check your PM

~ George Orwell
Old 08-22-10, 11:00 PM   #82
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Battle of Leyete Gulf

It is the eve of the battle. Map contacts are off. I am going to use the stars to Navigate, if I can load the damn program? While the world is wondering where TF39 (Halsy's) is, I am wondering where Don Reed's email with his instructions on how to load celnav is?
Old 08-22-10, 11:30 PM   #83
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I have download python 3.1 and the extension from page five of the instructions. I saved a mission (the Navigation Mission). Now what? What file do i open? I do not see a file that I can access called SH4toStellarium.py.
Check 6sj7gt's Filefront page.
Old 08-22-10, 11:57 PM   #84
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default I am unable to find any reference to it

I looked in the SH4 Saved Games file and nothing was there. The instructions at the beginning of the thread have not helped.
Old 08-23-10, 06:35 AM   #85
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
I looked in the SH4 Saved Games file and nothing was there. The instructions at the beginning of the thread have not helped.
You are right a bit. The first message does not explain that you can (should) download Celestial_Navigation_for_SH4.7z from his Filefront page. It contains the tutorial and python script file among other things, except some files in it are now a bit outdated. The correct version of the python file and the latest pdf tutorial can be downloaded seperately from the filefront page. It doesn't really matter where you place that python-script for SH4. Just as long as you can reach it easily to modify or execute. What to do with it starts on page 5 of the tutorial : Tutorial on SH4 Celestial Navigation - Stellarium 10.2.pdf
Old 08-23-10, 11:38 AM   #86
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Sorry for the delay (speaking to last post) IGD. I don't get around here much anymore. There's a lot of nuance with the programs that I'm going to talk you through...thats the reason for PM's and email...as mentioned...I don't want to clutter up this thread. If there were a great calling for "How to", then maybe it'd be worth the time/effort to put something together. As it is, there are too many different systems playing SH3/SH4/SH5.

Let the "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) this setup may not work on all systems.

It's been my experience that getting this up and running may take a lot of patience...so kick back, grab a beer, smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

see you on email.

Cheers all,

~ George Orwell
Old 08-23-10, 12:04 PM   #87
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

My last post to IGD may have sounded cryptic...

...but...The PYTHON program is the MOST important part of this Cel Nav op. by this method.

IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE:

1) Getting it working on your cpu is primary.

2) Putting it (the SCRIPT) into the proper Subdirectory with annexes.

3) Making sure there are NO spelling errors in the script program.

4) Making sure ALL DATES and TIMES are in UTM/GMT format.

5) Making sure that Stellarium is in UTM/GMT format.

~ George Orwell
Old 08-23-10, 12:07 PM   #88
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
You are right a bit. The first message does not explain that you can (should) download Celestial_Navigation_for_SH4.7z from his Filefront page. It contains the tutorial and python script file among other things, except some files in it are now a bit outdated. The correct version of the python file and the latest pdf tutorial can be downloaded seperately from the filefront page. It doesn't really matter where you place that python-script for SH4. Just as long as you can reach it easily to modify or execute. What to do with it starts on page 5 of the tutorial : Tutorial on SH4 Celestial Navigation - Stellarium 10.2.pdf
Sh4toStellarium10-ssc.py opens but cannot be read. It is either unsupported or their is a download error message.
Old 08-23-10, 12:11 PM   #89
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

IGD:

Copy your script from the tools\script directory and paste it here.

Lets take a look at it.

~ George Orwell
Old 08-23-10, 12:17 PM   #90
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

@ IDG:

When you open PYTHON, what appears on your display? Do you get the normal windows type of toolbar across the top of it's focus window?

~ George Orwell