SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-02-12, 05:14 PM   #1
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

A problem which i cannot think of a solution for......

I own 2 computers. A Samsung RV510 Windows 7 Home Premium Laptop, and a Dell Windows 98. The laptop can connect to the internet, the 98 cannot. I play old flight sims and older games on the 98. I wanna know a way that i can download files from the internet on my laptop, and transfer them to the 98. I.E. IL-2 Sturmovik Patches, MSFS 2004 Planes, etc. Ive tried several things, but nothing seems to work. Flash Drive, CD-Rs, the sort.

Nothing works.
Old 07-02-12, 05:41 PM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

USB sticks won't work, the USB1.0 and 1.1 on older PCs with Win95 and 98 only handled interface devices such as keyboards and joysticks.

There may, I believe, be third-party drivers enabling a mass storage device to be used with 98. Google is your friend, but watch out for dodgy sites.

Floppies will work, but with some (if not all) patches you may run out of room before it's even spun up to full speed.

If CD-Rs don't work try this from MS -
Enable/disable UDF support

If you are using Windows 98 or Windows Me, change the UDF setting. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
  2. Click Advanced.
  3. Click the Disable UDF File System option, and then click OK.
  4. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click OK, and then click Yes.
If it makes no difference change it back again (or don't?).

Are you using the latest (?) drivers for the CD drive? Catch-22 here!

What's the problem with networking? Is there a network card or port on motherboard? RJ11 port for dial-up?

Good luck.
Old 07-02-12, 06:11 PM   #3
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Disabling UDF didnt do anything. Does it matter which UDF i write the disc in? Theres 1.50 2.00 2.01 and 2.50 i think. Ive tried to connect the 98 to the network but it doesnt work. The mass storage driver idea will be a last resort........
Old 07-02-12, 06:41 PM   #4
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Sorry, I've just checked the wiki for that and Win 98 is only 1.02 - which is for DVDs.

The only other thing I can think of is to mount a IDE/PATA drive - you may need a external connection for the laptop. I'd have thought (?) the Win98 PC would have a IDE cable with multiple points, if not then raiding somebodies dead PC should yield free results.

Found a safe link for the USB MSD drivers if you want - sounds like the most optimistic method. http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php
Old 07-02-12, 06:52 PM   #5
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

What exactly is it and how does it work?
Old 07-02-12, 08:42 PM   #6
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Have you tried a LAN connection or an old app called laplink, I think it connected 2 computers via serial ports or even parallel IIRC.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 01:59 AM   #7
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
What exactly is it and how does it work?
Windows drivers on 98 for USB only provided connectivity for human interface devices such as keyboards and joysticks, this third-party driver enables mass storage devices (USB flash drives) to be used. It's something Micro$oft should've done themselves.
Old 07-03-12, 04:47 AM   #8
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Quote:
Disabling UDF didnt do anything. Does it matter which UDF i write the disc in? Theres 1.50 2.00 2.01 and 2.50 i think. Ive tried to connect the 98 to the network but it doesnt work. The mass storage driver idea will be a last resort........
Try using third party burner then slowing the burning speed to minimum and also checking the close session option.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 08:33 AM   #9
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
I own 2 computers. A Samsung RV510 Windows 7 Home Premium Laptop, and a Dell Windows 98. The laptop can connect to the internet, the 98 cannot. I play old flight sims and older games on the 98. I wanna know a way that i can download files from the internet on my laptop, and transfer them to the 98. I.E. IL-2 Sturmovik Patches, MSFS 2004 Planes, etc. Ive tried several things, but nothing seems to work. Flash Drive, CD-Rs, the sort.

Nothing works.
Why can't the Win 98 get on the internet? I have a seperate computer (Win 98/DOS dual boot) for old games also and I'm able to put in on the LAN and it's able to connect to the internet. My LAN has a Win 7 computer on it and a Windows Home Server on it. They all can 'talk' to one another no problems.

Boot up the Win 98 computer and make sure it's connected to your LAN. Open a CMD window and type 'IPCONFIG /ALL'. See if your LAN adaptor is listed or not and not what the IP address of it is. Go to your Win 7 computer and open a CMD window and type the same thing. Note the IP address of the Win 7 computer. Go back to the Win 98 computer and in the CMD window type 'ping x' where x is the IP address of the Win 7 computer. If the Win 98 computer is able to ping the Win 7 computer then your LAN hardware is fine and it's a software/settings/config/IP address issue.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 09:11 AM   #10
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

I was thinking he doesn't have the driver for the NIC installed.

Red, could you give a specific model for the Dell? Is the NIC onboard or add-in? What about the USB ports?

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 02:54 PM   #11
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Windows Virtual PC

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

How to install 98 on the VM PC

This is what I would do if you have enough disk space and some memory capacity to spare.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 06:23 PM   #12
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

You have a few options here. Lets deal with the CD ones as they are the simplest.

The problem your running into is that Win 98 will only read a CD that has been burned using CDFS - what is commonly referred to as a "Mastered" cd. UDF is something Win98 can't read without additional help, and you can't get the data to the machine without the help. So you have to burn using CDFS.

One is to take the files you have, combine them into an iso package and burn them using the standard win7 burn app. This will create a closed/mastered cd.

The other is to simply choose CDFS when you burn the files directly. If I remember correctly, you can choose that when you burn from drag and drop with 7.

As mentioned above, choose the slowest burning speed possible.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 07:34 PM   #13
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Im not real sure what model the computer is. Its old, and we had to plug in a modem to be able to use it or something. I found it in the basement...it worked, so i played old games. I think, Im going to give up on this and play FS2004 on the laptop. I appreciate the help. I tried some new stuff today, but alas, none of the things i tried worked.

You guys rock for attempting to help me.