SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-28-12, 06:51 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Best Image software?

Was finished with reinstalling, even FSX and addons, all finetuning, tweaking, making all softwar ready - and wanted to create an image of my complete HD with all partitions as a backup.

Had Acronis 2011 installed, I used it last year to make an image which i did not use now becasue too much of it was outdated ( I would have needed to deleted a 50GB installation of FS2004 just to replace it with a 50 GB installation of FSX, and some more most basic changes).

To my delight, the Acronis software notified me that an update was available, and so it did. After the update, the software said that it cannot make images from my HD anymore. Som eincompatablity with my partitions. Whatever that means. The advise was to buy another update or the latest version 2013.

Just looked at Amazon and saw that customer feedback gives Acronis plenty of brown stuff.

Need an alternative for imaging a dynamic HD. Any ideas? I want a backup that gives me the complete partitions' setup as it is now, if I ever need it. Incremental backups and other luxiury items I do not need. Just the basic and most profound essentials, but that reliably: complete image of the state my HD and installed partitions are in right now while it is still new, and undisturbed.

I took me plenty of time to reinstall and finetune everything to my liking. The FSX dance alone took one whole day and most of the night. The damn Steam costed another 8 hours when reinstalling Skyrim and updating it.

There is a backup option in Windows 7, but I do not know if one can trust it? Does it form complete images, or just backups of basic files? Is it reliable?

Else, any advise on what software to pick for creating a full image of all three partitions is welcomed.
Old 08-28-12, 07:10 PM   #2
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Norton Ghost trial - 30 days, nag screen. Norton ghost is tops though worth buying wont let you down.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-12, 07:20 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Handles "dynamic volumes"? Practically everything that I have read says that every image software stumbles over this and has limits here. I do not even know what a dynamic drive really is and why I have it - while last year, 18 months ago, I had not, but I still had three partitions. And back then Acronis worked!? The articles describing the problem are so full of technical terms and abbreviations that it is impossible for me to make sense of it. And I do not want to waste more coins over imaging solutions that do not get the job done reliably and easily.
Old 08-28-12, 07:24 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

I just visited the German Norton Ghost trial page. No word of images there, only backups. That is not the same. Backups means saving data files. Imaging means cloning the HD, with Windows, partitions structure, installed software, files, data, everything. A clone.
Old 08-28-12, 08:06 PM   #5
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Last time I had to clone a hard drive, I used a bootable USB drive with a Linux tool on it. I don't remember what it was exactly, but I just installed the extra drive, told it which was the source, which was the destination, and let it do it's thing. Everything worked afterward, including the system recovery tools on the partition.

Pretty painless process overall.
Old 08-28-12, 11:59 PM   #6
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I just visited the German Norton Ghost trial page. No word of images there, only backups. That is not the same. Backups means saving data files. Imaging means cloning the HD, with Windows, partitions structure, installed software, files, data, everything. A clone.
You can clone the HD with Norton Ghost - Advanced tab - Clone. You can clone an entire drive. Don't know you might be limited with the trial version tho 30 days trial that should mean full access.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-12, 07:33 AM   #7
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Check out the manufacturer of your HDD, they all seem to have their own version of Ghost for cloning now, and it's free.
Old 08-29-12, 02:25 PM   #8
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Is one of this what you want?

KLICK

KLICK

Win7 Backup Tutorial

Best regards,
Magic
Old 09-01-12, 02:39 PM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

I bit into the bitter apple and got the plus pack of Acronis for my 2011 edition. It seemes I missed that the plus pack indeed was meant to add the ability for dynamic volumes and GDT drives. When I bought it early last year, it seems I had a non-dynamic drive then, so it worked back then. Why IU now have a dynamic one, and what the difference is, I cannot say. I don'T know.

To cut the story short: I successfully created two separate images on two separate external HDs.

Feels better now. Going back in case of emergency hopefully will be a breeze now.

I also created two images via the Windows software, which was lucky, because the Windows option is no longer avalaible once Acronis is installed.

I finally created on both HDs copies of the program file structure of all installed software on all three partitions. The idea is that if I mnaage to ruin some system file or somehow lose a file or mod-to death a file in let'S say a simulation's folder, i just can paste and copy it from the external HDs.

I have two HDs now, each offering me three different file backup and restore options. Feels also better.