SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-12, 02:33 AM   #1
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Vista speedup

I got Vista with this PC I bought several years ago. I know Vista is not the flavor of the month, I have to admit that I should have waited a bit longer for Windows 7 to be released, but a fair wind was blowing and the top'sles where rigged.

But recently I carefully went through all the fonts I had stored on the PC I had over 350 by the way, I gradually transferred most of them to a backup folder until I had only 60 fonts left ( a minimum I would say). This has given the computer has had a new lease of speed life, along with Firefox just installed it's buzzing around like a crazy machine again. If your machine has font heavy apps on board you won't be able to remove so many of coarse

Care has to be taken when removing fonts I have to say, some apps lost there menu capability and a new font applied to the app, I only removed about 10 fonts at a time hoping to avoid any real conflict, Another thing that slowed Vista is Windows Live I ditched that as well.

Also turning off Vista effects will help speed up an other wise slow lumbering system which can be found in the control panel, "preformance information and tools". I now use only "use only visual styles and windows buttons". I now have a pleasing machine again and she skims along mush closer to the wind.

sid