Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-22, 11:04 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Any US Expatriates here?

For some time, I have considered leaving the USA. I will not renounce my citizenship but as time marches on, things just get worse here and at this point, I see this USA as a sinking ship that can not be saved. For these reasons, I wish to leave. I have a few friends who made the move and are now expatriates in various places. Just wondering if any here. Share you experiences etc.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-22, 11:15 PM   #2
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

I had friend I went to high school with in the Panama Canal Zone. Years later I tracked him down. He found a sexy live in chica and never left.

As for me I’ve been all around the Caribbean, Central and South America, nice places. But IMO they have the same problems as we do, just more of it. I was always glad to get back to the good ol’ U.S. of A.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 12:09 AM   #3
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

I've been thinking about this for a few years now.

I'm thinking of trying South East Asia next year if we don't tank before then. Probably Thailand. Have to put $25,000 in a Thai bank which is ok because I've seen baht surprisingly recommended as a currency to be in if the Western World purposely tanks itself. If the old King was still alive I'd feel better about Thailand. I kind of like Thailand because gold is almost a form of currency there so it's easy to move between gold and cash without the large "fees" we have so I could put most of my money in physical gold.

Too many leftists gaining power in South America. Even an ex-terrorist buddy of Maduro's in Colombia. Making for a good exchange rate right now though. Some nice weather in the mountains without the need for ac or heat though.

Once we purposely tank ourselves and keep telling the rest of the world what lousy people we whites are they might not want us anymore.

I've been to Colombia and Thailand and I feel much safer in Thailand. The food is great. I can get actual foot massages, getting too old to care about the other kind so much. LOL I feel safer banking there, I can get by without a vehicle there, and eat out every day for cheaper than I can cook for in the USA. I think the medical care there is actually better than it is here, and much cheaper. I've had a physical there a few years ago. Rent is cheap there. If you buy a condo the HOA fees there don't rob you like they do in the USA. My HOA here is more than I'd pay to rent and air condition a similar place in Thailand

Last edited by em2nought; 07-06-22 at 12:21 AM.
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 02:05 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
He found a sexy live in chica and never left.
Hey! A broad whilst living abroad !!?

I've been mulling over Portugal, Dutch Antilles(Bonaire)or Costa Rica for some time...the key issue is banking systems that don't get "nationalized" periodically

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 02:23 AM   #5
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

Best to stay away from Australia. Everything's ridiculously expensive or unavailable, nobody can actually do anything, you get fined if you don't vote, guns are only for baddies, the power is supplied by Elon Musk's big battery (which only occasionally catches on fire) and we're about to become a Chinese protectorate.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-22, 02:27 AM   #6
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post

I've been mulling over Portugal, Dutch Antilles(Bonaire)or Costa Rica for some time...the key issue is banking systems that don't get "nationalized" periodically
Someplace with vaults that aren't within the banking system. Not because I plan to do anything naughty, I'm about the most law abiding citizen I can think of. It's in case the powers that be are naughty, and lets face it they're already naughty. But now they've added "stupid" and "insane" to their resume as well.

Da Lat in Vietnam looks like a place I could live. 5000 ft elevation with cooler temperatures. Lots of good looking food, and an alpine roller coaster. LOL
Old 07-06-22, 07:42 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by stork100 View Post
Best to stay away from Australia. Everything's ridiculously expensive or unavailable, nobody can actually do anything, you get fined if you don't vote, guns are only for baddies, the power is supplied by Elon Musk's big battery (which only occasionally catches on fire) and we're about to become a Chinese protectorate.

Quite sad because I loved it when I visited but yes, I am aware of the problems and thus Australia is not on my list.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 06:46 AM   #8
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

I found a few places in the U.K right next to Jimbuna and another next to Eichhörnchen. I declined to buy the properties as I don't want them complaining in Subsim, " well, there goes the neighborhood. " in the event I moved there.

Seriously, the U.S may have it's issues but I would rather be here than anywhere else.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 07:47 AM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

You could also move to our little island here in Denmark.

Here we have the motto-What can be postpone to next week we postpone-With other words-We take it very easy...

It's also very calm here and the busses is free-no cost.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 08:28 AM   #10
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I found a few places in the U.K right next to Jimbuna and another next to Eichhörnchen. I declined to buy the properties as I don't want them complaining in Subsim, " well, there goes the neighborhood. " in the event I moved there.

Seriously, the U.S may have it's issues but I would rather be here than anywhere else.

Move in next to Jim?

We could go find Steed's flat?

Just think of the fun you'd have at the pub?!
Old 07-07-22, 08:32 AM   #11
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post

I guess Russia and Ukraine are out? Lots of military adventures await....
Old 07-07-22, 09:03 AM   #12
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Surprised a lot more Americans haven't chosen Canada

Its a bit like the USA in quite a few ways but also like the UK in others, We don't have the gun violence we do have a slower more relaxed speed to life the biggest drawback with Canada though is Winter.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 09:19 AM   #13
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

Here we have the motto-What can be postpone to next week we postpone-With other words-We take it very easy...

Markus
I and I call di ting ‘island’ time’ yuh know.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 09:39 AM   #14
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
Surprised a lot more Americans haven't chosen Canada
I'm afraid it isn't that easy. First, we would have to convince some folks in Ottawa that we aren't loonies.

"So, we've reviewed your application. Why do you want to live in Canada?"

"Well, I used to live in Houlton, Me. and I could throw a rock across the border into New Brunswick plus I love Tim Horton's".

"That close to the border, aye? So, you plan to move to New Brunswick?"

"Oh no, if that guy in Woodstock figures out how all his windows got broken he's going to be ##ssed."

"I see... So, any hobbies?"

"Well, I enjoy building miniature nuclear submarines and playing Whack-A-Squirrel."

"Playing what??"

"Whack-A-Squirrel. I hit virtual squirrels with an imaginary wooden stick while I taunt a retiree from California."

"A virtual retiree from California, I take it?"

"Oh no, he's real, alright. He even owns a boat."

"I see.."
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-22, 03:05 PM   #15
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post

Exactly, we may have problems, but overall, it is still a nice place to live and big enough that frankly most problems can be ignored