SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-15, 08:24 PM   #31
DedEye
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 145
Uploads: 0

stoked!

Old 02-01-15, 10:58 PM   #32
Colombianfire360
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 11
Default such wow many sub

Welcome to subsim
Colombianfire360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 07:54 AM   #33
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome Aboard Colombian

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 10:37 AM   #34
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Colombianfire360!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-15, 12:20 PM   #35
Phrixus
Nub

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
I noticed something similar with flight Sims. After Falcon 4.0, they kind of disappeared until recently with DCS. Space Sims disappeared too until the X-series. Now we have possibly the greatest one ever in Star Citizen/Squadron 42. Around $55 million raisedb- and all we have is a playable demo of a few ships.

I think a kickstarter could do well - look at Warhorse studios Kingdom Come - a non-magical medieval RPG. As long as the word got out, but I haven't the faintest idea of how much of a budget a modern WWII subsim would run - obviously in the millions or tens of millions.
Well, if space sims can be used as a benchmark, it would seem that these niche genres are in a float-and-sink cycle. The X-series was for a long time the sole noteworthy survivor of the genre, and now we're having a massive revival.

It should really be pointed out that crowdfunding like Kickstarter can be a double-edged sword though. Many of those, even those started by people that are quite well-known beforehand, have laughably bad team management (Mighty No.9 and the Dina disaster that's still ongoing) and/or questionable practices (Star Citizen and its increasingly ridiculous pledge prices). There's an inherent risk in this sort of thing, and that's before asking the question of "is the subsim niche market big enough to fund one".
Phrixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-15, 03:28 PM   #36
wndrwtr
Nub

Downloads: 5
Default Sub Sims

The only way I can see a SubSim going back to it's glory days of thousands of players online at any given time, is when a Destroyer Command type of game is integrated into the SubSim's. Such as was done with SHII.
While the graphics have certainly improved greatly, it is obvious to me (IMHO) that players prefer to battle against each other in a predator vs hunter type scenario which the introduction of a FULLY controllable Destroyer would provide that human vs human action...Just my two cents on the situation..LOL
wndrwtr is offline   Reply With Quote