SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-26-10, 04:03 PM   #16
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Dale1957,

Sorry you weren't able to navigate the fDutch forum pages; it is one of the difficulties in researching pages in other languages.

This isn't strictly referring to the CPBCo boats in particular, but I came across a link that is an online archive of the Higgins Industries design and construction plans for their model of PT boats. They are incredibly detailed and you may find them useful in your research:

http://louisdl.louislibraries.org/cdm4/index_HIC.php?CISOROOT=%2FHIC

If I find anything else, I'll post here.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-10, 07:23 PM   #17
Dale1957
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 5

thanks vienna.
Dale1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 08:29 AM   #18
Dale1957
Machinist's Mate

vienna,that's a good site for info. higgins had afew designs I did not know about.the drawings for copying/downloading were poor though because of low resolutions.
Old 09-06-10, 07:33 PM   #19
Dale1957
Machinist's Mate

you would think SOMEBODY would have info on this topic? I did a google search for the canadian powerboat archives and came up with nothing
Old 09-07-10, 02:48 PM   #20
vienna
Navy Seal

To quote a previous President, "I feel your pain"...

I have been still looking, off and on, for more information on the boats you specifed and, other than a notation that a couple of them may have been converted to target and control use after the war, I have found nothing. The problem may be that after building the four (although I did find a questionable reference to a 5th) boats, Canadian Power apparently ceded design and manufacturing to Elco. This could mean that Elco may have taken the Canadian plans into their archives. A website, www.gdinc.com has a DVD for sale with U.S. Army microfilm files of Elco engineering drawings in PDF format:

http://www.gdinc.com/Sample_ELCO_Microfilm_Collection-01-02.pdf

There does not appear to be any mention of the Canadian boats in the description, but you or others may find this data useful.

The full (or at least as full as possible) Elco archive is preserved by the Mystic Seaport Museum organization. The following link will take you to a website describing the finding and preservation of the archive and contains a link to the Mystic organization:

http://www.acbs.org/rudder/oldrudder/Rudder/Spring2001/ElcoFound.htm

If I find anything else, I'll post it here.

EDIT: The Elco archives are on a request and sale basis; you have to say what you are looking for and they find it and you buy it. Just to keep things clear about this archive.

Last edited by vienna; 09-07-10 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-08-10, 02:26 PM   #21
Dale1957
Machinist's Mate

thanks again vienna.
Old 09-08-10, 03:53 PM   #22
Dale1957
Machinist's Mate

intresting but nothing of use.
Old 09-09-10, 01:31 PM   #23
vienna
Navy Seal

This site may be intersting:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/

This is the Canadian Library & Archives site. Unless you're tempted to try out your high school French (as I did), click on the "English" button in the lower left corner. Click on the "Search" link and enter your search term(s) in the box. I tried various terms like: MTB, torpedo boat, canadian power boat, etc. The search returns results from both the Library's book holdings and the Archive's document and photo holdings. In my search, I found a number of photos such as this:

(Caption: Fitting the machine gun turret structure of a motor torpedo boat under construction at Canadian Power Boat Company, Montreal, Québec, Canada, 24 April 1941.)

There several photos of this type. Look for the search results with this graphic: .

When you open the link, a description of the photo is shown along with a small photo in the upper right. Click on the photo and a larger version appears. If you want to see the photo without any text, click on the link under the small photo in the upper left and the photo appears full size.

As I pointed out above, try various versions or permutations of search terms and more results may be found. Again, I hope this is helpful.

P.S.: Note the sign on the side of the turret; it makes me wonder what they had in those cups and bottles that was a safety hazard.
Old 09-09-10, 06:17 PM   #24
Dale1957
Machinist's Mate

found that same pic. not much else found.
Old 10-03-10, 04:28 PM   #25
vienna
Navy Seal

Dale1957,

I was doing some digging about for some other research and I came across this:

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=hndLAAAAEBAJ&dq=%22scott-paine%22+motor+boat+1942

It's a patent submitted in 1940 (awarded in 1942) by Scott-Paine for a "motor boat" but the illustrations plainly show an MTB. Maybe this could be of help to you.

EDIT:

This is a link to the Canadian Patent site for the above; the drawings appear to be better and the site allows for rotation and magnification of the drawings:

http://brevets-patents.ic.gc.ca/opic-cipo/cpd/eng/patent/403309/summary.html?query=((scott-paine)+%3cIN%3e+OWNER)&start=1&num=50&type=advance d_search

The links for the drawings are near the bootom of the page.

Last edited by vienna; 10-06-10 at 12:12 PM.