SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-08-13, 09:56 PM   #961
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298
Uploads: 0

Actual cargo holds? I hope this means the passenger liners will have cabins as well.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 10:15 PM   #962
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Actual cargo holds? I hope this means the passenger liners will have cabins as well.
Why? So that you can terrorize helpless passengers with your deck gun? One minute they're relaxing, snacking on caviar - the next minute there's an 88mm shell hole in their stateroom.

Anyways - the deckhouses on ships, including liners, may have simple interiors (without lots of intricate furniture etc). The dozens/hundreds of rooms belowdecks on a typical passenger ship will not be modeled, due to time and computer processing power constraints.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 10:38 PM   #963
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Why? So that you can terrorize helpless passengers with your deck gun? One minute they're relaxing, snacking on caviar - the next minute there's an 88mm shell hole in their stateroom.

Anyways - the deckhouses on ships, including liners, may have simple interiors (without lots of intricate furniture etc). The dozens/hundreds of rooms belowdecks on a typical passenger ship will not be modeled, due to time and computer processing power constraints.
Dang. Oh well I understand. Still scaring the beejebus out of the first class passengers would have been funny. "Wilfred there seems to be a hole in my cabin wall." "I see madam. Maybe that U-Boat has something to do with it." "Quite right Wilfred. Now excuse me while I run in terror to the lifeboats." "Very good madam I shall join you in this endeavor."

Last edited by Admiral Halsey; 10-09-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-09-13, 04:08 PM   #964
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Very nice work indeed.

On the issue of Passengers and such, I fail to see the "fun" in making an amusement out of suffering and pain experineced by so many who lost their lives at sea. This is a historic simulation and reflects history but true is that many if not most officers in the High Seas Fleet of the Imperial service tried hard to save lives, at sea, all seamen and passengers are brothers, and they tried to save who they could. There is no reason for this wonderful mod maker to be asked to create extensive resources for such frivolous and frankly barbaric "entertainment" Any seaman from any service on either side would agree i am sure. Nuff said.

beautiful work on the ships, crew and the cargo hold is a wonderful idea, very very good.
Old 10-09-13, 04:20 PM   #965
Jawohlherrkaleun
Watch

Downloads: 52

IABL, I have downloaded the Addon Soviet Waterway (v 0.99) and i have noticed that there are ships which could be interesting for the mod : The Schleswig-Holstein battleship (for the Deutschland and Braunschweig class battleships), the Marat/Petropavlovsk Battleship (for the Gangut class battleships) and the Novik class destroyers.
Jawohlherrkaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 05:08 PM   #966
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
Very nice work indeed.

On the issue of Passengers and such, I fail to see the "fun" in making an amusement out of suffering and pain experineced by so many who lost their lives at sea. This is a historic simulation and reflects history but true is that many if not most officers in the High Seas Fleet of the Imperial service tried hard to save lives, at sea, all seamen and passengers are brothers, and they tried to save who they could. There is no reason for this wonderful mod maker to be asked to create extensive resources for such frivolous and frankly barbaric "entertainment" Any seaman from any service on either side would agree i am sure. Nuff said.

beautiful work on the ships, crew and the cargo hold is a wonderful idea, very very good.
Oh lighten up I was just trying to make a joke.
Old 10-09-13, 08:48 PM   #967
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
Very nice work indeed.

I agree but with all due respect I think Admiral Halsey was just joking. Our crowd here is a bit more mature than certain other game communities(despite the occasional joke), and many subsimmers know firsthand what war is really like. Few people on this forum would truly enjoy harming people in wartime. Especially innocent passengers.

Thank you for your comment, by the way - just last night, while researching statistics on ships sunk, I reflected on how chivalrous most U-Boat captains were in WWI. At least 15,000 civilians are known to have died on British ships alone, but the death toll would have been much higher were it not for the heroism of U-Boat sailors - many of whom risked their own lives to save their enemies. After sinking one ship, for example, Hans Rose took injured survivors on board and radioed the sinking position to the British, so that rescue ships could be sent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Jacob_Jones_(DD-61

@ Jawohlherrkaleun: Thank you for the advice; it will all depend on permission from the ships' original creators.
Old 10-09-13, 09:14 PM   #968
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Our crowd here is a bit more mature than certain other game communities(despite the occasional joke)
I recall the debate about survivers in SH3 before SH4 came out.
I also recall the debates about makeing survivers destroyable in both.
Old 10-09-13, 09:18 PM   #969
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
I recall the debate about survivors in SH3 before SH4 came out.
I also recall the debates about making survivors destroyable in both.
Do you remember what the consensus was?
Old 10-17-13, 07:32 PM   #970
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Well, it just had to happen. Last week Sunday, while I was preparing an update showcasing brand new particle effects and destructible deck cargo, my PC's cooling system "went West". By the time I diagnosed the problem, my Windows install had been affected, corrupting the video card driver files.

Did I mention that my rig's less than a year old?

Fortunately, much of the work on "WOTK" I have shown you has been rescued, and is now on my external hard drive. Parts will be arriving tomorrow, and I hope to be back in business by this weekend. If I can't repair the problem myself, expect this thread to be quiet for 1-2 weeks while the "professionals" fix it.

@ Admiral Halsey - sorry; don't remember the outcome!
Old 10-17-13, 08:20 PM   #971
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Well, it just had to happen. Last week Sunday, while I was preparing an update showcasing brand new particle effects and destructible deck cargo, my PC's cooling system "went West". By the time I diagnosed the problem, my Windows install had been affected, corrupting the video card driver files.

Did I mention that my rig's less than a year old?

Fortunately, much of the work on "WOTK" I have shown you has been rescued, and is now on my external hard drive. Parts will be arriving tomorrow, and I hope to be back in business by this weekend. If I can't repair the problem myself, expect this thread to be quiet for 1-2 weeks while the "professionals" fix it.

@ Admiral Halsey - sorry; don't remember the outcome!
That's ok IAMB i'm going out on a limb and guess that the consensus was that while having swimmers in the water after sinking a ship and making them destroyable would be historically accurate it was also unethical. Also i'm sorry to hear about your computer. Still like you said much of the WOTK was saved and it could have been much worse.

Last edited by Admiral Halsey; 10-17-13 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-20-13, 06:03 AM   #972
Jawohlherrkaleun
Watch

Downloads: 52

You said "much of the work on "WOTK" I have shown you has been rescued". Then what hasn't been rescued, has it been completely lost?..
Jawohlherrkaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-13, 10:39 AM   #973
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Sorry about the mechanical problem, hope you get thru it ok. new computers seem to be less dependable than older ones.

as for ethical issues, yes, no reason for such extremes in sims. Having known men who survived their ships sinking and having three cousins who went down with their ships as the kapitains and another cousin who was blown up with his battlship under him, and lost crew with them, I am adamantly opposed on every concievable grounds to making "entertainment" out of suffering. We preserve history here and honour the duty and dedication of the sailormen on both sides but we dont make a spectable of their trials. Hopefully this will be understood without further comment.

thanks again Master Iamber..., and hang in there we are cheering for you.
Old 10-27-13, 06:40 AM   #974
tat501
Helmsman

Downloads: 275

Bad luck old boy. Hang tough and hold fast. I for one can't wait for this mod and I'm happy and grateful to your commitment for it!!
tat501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 08:18 PM   #975
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Turns out that nothing will be lost and I won't need to ship my rig across the country...I managed to replace the cooling system myself, so it looks like my PC won't get that California vacation that she wanted. Thumbs up for self reliance!

That's an interesting (and sad) family history, "Admiral Von Gerlach" - what battleship was your cousin on? Was it the "Tirpitz"?

Merchant ship completely fitted out with destructible deck cargo. In standard SH4, a lot of the deck equipment is hard or impossible to destroy. On this vessel, ALL of the crates and the BE.2 biplanes can be damaged or destroyed in your attacks.

Intercepting the merchant ship. Deck cargo goes flying off the ship when it explodes. Damaged crates, if they contain flammable cargo, shoot out fireballs and thick smoke.