SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-02-21, 08:48 AM   #3976
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

1914 Great Britain declares the entire North Sea a military area: neutral ships will transit it at their own risk.

1916 Battle of Verdun: Fort Vaux reconquered from Germans by French troops without firing a shot.

1917 In WWI the 1st US soldiers are killed in combat: James Gresham, Thomas Enright and Merle Hay.

1947 Howard Hughes flies "Spruce Goose", a huge wooden airplane for the first and last time.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-21, 12:43 PM   #3977
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1906 International Radiotelegraph Conference in Berlin selects "SOS" (· · · – – – · · ·) distress signal as the worldwide standard for help.

1918 Thousands of revolutionary German sailors with the fleet at Kiel mutiny, seize the city, and set up councils of workers and sailors.

1970 US President Richard Nixon promises gradual troop removal of Vietnam.

Old 11-04-21, 06:58 AM   #3978
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1862 American inventor Richard Jordan Gatling patents the hand cranked Gatling machine gun in Indianapolis.

1921 The Sturmabteilung or SA (the "Brown Shirts") is formally established by Adolf Hitler.

1922 Howard Carter discovers the intact tomb of the Pharaoh Tutankhamun in Egypt.

1939 US allows "cash & carry" arms sales during WWII

2008 Barack Obama becomes the first African-American to be elected President of the United States, defeating Republican candidate John McCain.

Old 11-06-21, 11:06 AM   #3979
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1940 Franklin D. Roosevelt re-elected US President.

1941 Einsatz Gruppe kills 15,000 Jews of Rovno Ukraine.

1941 USA lends Soviet Union $1 million.

1942 Nazis kill 12,000 Jews in the Minsk ghetto.

1945 The first landing of a jet on a carrier takes place on USS Wake Island when an FR-1 Fireball touches down.

1956 Suez Crisis: British Royal Marines storm Port Said in Egypt amid growing domestic and international opposition to the Anglo-French-Israeli military operation.

1991 The last oil fire in Kuwait set by retreating Iraqi troops is extinguished.

Old 11-07-21, 02:41 PM   #3980
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1872 Cargo ship Mary Celeste sails from Staten Island for Genoa; mysteriously found abandoned four weeks later.

2000 Hillary Clinton is elected to the US Senate, becoming first US First Lady to win public office and while still the First Lady.

2020 Former Vice-President Joe Biden declared the winner of the US Presidential race, four days after the US election, defeating sitting President Donald Trump.

Old 11-10-21, 11:15 AM   #3981
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1871 Henry Morton Stanley encounters David Livingstone at Ujiji, near Lake Tanganyika in Central Africa, with the immortal words 'Dr Livingstone, I presume?'

1918 German Emperor Wilhelm II flees to Netherlands.

1918 Western Union Cable Office in North Sydney, Nova Scotia receives a top-secret coded message from Europe stating on November 11, 1918 all fighting would cease on land, sea and in the air.

1944 Ammunition ship USS Mount Hood (AE-11) exploded at Seeadler Harbour, Manus, Admiralty Islands.

1989 Germans begin demolishing the Berlin Wall.

Old 11-10-21, 03:10 PM   #3982
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon8 Not learning from mistake 101...4 months apart!

Quote:
No other remains of Mount Hood were found except fragments of metal which had struck other ships in the harbor and a few tattered pages of a signal notebook found floating in the water several hundred yards away. No human remains were recovered of the 350 men aboard Mount Hood or small boats loading alongside at the time of the explosion.
Right up there with the infamous Port CHicago two ship obliteration 7/17/1944 20 miles from my home on the Sacramento River. 320 dead https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Chicago_disaster In both cases, poor leadership and poor ammunition handling were assessed to be the cause of the disasters... 670 dead ammo handlers??!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 10:03 AM   #3983
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1918 WWI armistice signed by the Allies and Germany comes into effect and World War I hostilities end at 11am, "the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month"

1920 The burials of unknown soldiers take place simultaneously in Westminster Abbey, London, and at the Arc de Triomphe, Paris

1923 Eternal flame lit for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier under the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.

1940 British Fleet Air Arm attack destroys half of Italian fleet at Taranto.

1940 Willys unveiled its General Purpose vehicle ("Jeep")

2004 Yasser Arafat's death through unidentified causes confirmed by Palestine Liberation Organization, Mahmoud Abbas elected PLO chairman minutes later.

Old 11-11-21, 11:38 AM   #3984
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

11 Nov 1918 The US started operating its first Transoceanic Radio Intercept Site on Gillin Farm, Houlton Maine.
Old 11-13-21, 09:44 AM   #3985
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1789 Benjamin Franklin writes "Nothing . . . certain but death & taxes"

1941 U-81 torpedoes British aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal near Gibraltar.

Old 11-13-21, 11:58 AM   #3986
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

1942: President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs a measure lowering the minimum draft age from 21 to 18. Things caught up logicwise in '72 when the voting age was also lowered to 18...ie: if yer old enough to die in 'Nam ya ought be able to cast a ballot along with a grenade!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 11-14-21, 10:39 AM   #3987
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1910 The US military took its first step toward linking flight and naval operations when Eugene Ely made the first carrier takeoff, guiding a Pusher biplane off the deck of the light cruiser USS Birmingham in the waters of Norfolk, Virginia.

1935 Nazis deprive German Jews of their citizenship.

1941 British aircraft carrier Ark Royal sank in Mediterranean, having been torpedoed by a German submarine the day before.

Old 11-16-21, 08:50 AM   #3988
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1940 In response to Germany's leveling of Coventry, England two days before, the Royal Air Force bombs Hamburg.

1947 15,000 demonstrate in Brussels against mild sentence of Nazis.

1969 1968 Mỹ Lai massacre of between 347 and 504 unarmed South Vietnamese civilians by US soldiers is first reported.

Old 11-16-21, 11:20 AM   #3989
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
1910 The US military took its first step toward linking flight and naval operations when Eugene Ely made the first carrier takeoff, guiding a Pusher biplane off the deck of the light cruiser USS Birmingham in the waters of Norfolk, Virginia.
A mere 31 years and 8 mos. later, the concept would be put to the climatic test as Japan and the United States put 'paid' to traditional battleship warfare at the 4 on 3 carrier encounter at Midway 1942 to decide the fate of empire. Japan never recovered from the clash; spending the next 3 years stubbornly 'bushidoing' their way to the rising sun(s) ....over Hiroshima and Nagasaki... The concept is not lost on China or Iran which have built dummy target carriers to practise missile & hypersonic strikes on American carriers; ie: still the dominant surface force on planet spinning mudball.

Old 11-17-21, 12:45 PM   #3990
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1869 Suez Canal in Egypt opens, linking Mediterranean and Red seas.

1873 Rival cities of Buda & Pest unite to form the capital of Hungary.

1973 US President Richard Nixon tells AP "...people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook"