SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-17-10, 04:45 PM   #616
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Waiting for my new books to arrive, I've started rereading Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers, by Brooke Allen. I originally picked it up in the library, but not too long ago I saw it on a sale table at Barnes & Noble. It was in my storage, and when I took Seutonius back there today, there it was sitting right where I couldn't miss it.
Old 04-23-10, 12:21 PM   #617
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Completed Moral Minority again - great book. Anyone with the slightest curiosity about what the American founders thought about religion and the history of religious freedom in America should have this.

Am now starting The Sorrow Of War, by Bao Nihn, as recommended by OneToughHerring. So far it's pretty amazing.

More when I'm done.
Old 04-24-10, 11:27 PM   #618
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The Boss just left for a three-week tropical cruise with her girlfriend and I got some new books to read between feeding Cat and taping her TV shows...

Crash Dive - In Action with HMS Safari 1942-43 by Arthur P. Dickison

and

Broken Arrow - America's First Lost Nuclear Weapon by Norman Leach
Old 04-30-10, 12:37 PM   #619
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Finished reading...

Ivan's War: The Red Army at War 1939-45: Inside The Red Army, 1939-45

By Catherine Merridale

I'm a third of the way in to my next book...

When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler

By David M. Glantz and Jonathan M. House

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 02:01 PM   #620
AirborneTD
Engineer

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

Just recently finished:

Lone Survivor

The Only Thing Worth Dying For

Both about spec ops in Afghanistan. Both really good. I believe the first is going to be made into a movie.
Old 04-30-10, 06:47 PM   #621
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Finished The Sorrow Of War. Outstanding book by a veteran of the North Vietnamese army. Shocking, enlightening, funny and tragic. I recommend it highly.

I'm now just starting Constructing a Life Philosophy, edited by Mark Ray Schmidt, Ph.D., Book Editor for The University of Arkansas at Monticello. It's part of the Opposing Viewpoints series, which looks at important issues and quotes full opinions by leading authorities on all sides. This particular one focuses on philosophy and religion.

It's one of four books I picked up very cheap at a library used-book sale.
Old 05-02-10, 11:21 AM   #622
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

I just finished reading Stalking The Red Bear, and I'm shocked at how painfully average the whole thing was. It's mildly interesting, and is mercifully free of technical errors, but it doesn't deliver on it's promise of being a gripping thriller. There's little character development, a lot of historical exposition, but as Cold War submarine stories go, a lot of the material in Blind Man's Bluff is so much better. I never got the impression in Stalking The Red Bear that the Blackfin was in any danger, and most of the book consists of the boat going around the Barents Sea, spying on Russian exercises, and collecting intelligence.

I think the author's rather stale writing style hurts the book more than it's subject matter. I bought it for $10, but I'd only recommend it if you stumbled across a copy at Salvation Army.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 10:42 PM   #623
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts View Post
I just finished reading Stalking The Red Bear, and I'm shocked at how painfully average the whole thing was. It's mildly interesting, and is mercifully free of technical errors, but it doesn't deliver on it's promise of being a gripping thriller. There's little character development, a lot of historical exposition, but as Cold War submarine stories go, a lot of the material in Blind Man's Bluff is so much better. I never got the impression in Stalking The Red Bear that the Blackfin was in any danger, and most of the book consists of the boat going around the Barents Sea, spying on Russian exercises, and collecting intelligence.

I think the author's rather stale writing style hurts the book more than it's subject matter. I bought it for $10, but I'd only recommend it if you stumbled across a copy at Salvation Army.
Whew! I thought it was just me that was totally underwhelmed by Stalking the Red Bear.

It sort of reminded me of a book version of a crap TV quasi-history doc like one sees sandwiched between the blowing things up show and monster-truck marathons, with the fancy CGI graphics, dramatic sound track and zero substantive content.
Old 05-05-10, 12:35 PM   #624
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Just read A. Terenov's Under Three Flags, The Saga of the Submarine Cruiser K-43/Chakra, English version.

(Don't bother looking it up in Amazon. It's just not there. www.books.ru has it, for around 1000 rubles - very roughly US$25, not counting shipping. The good news is that they ship overseas, the bad news is that the order screens are 100% Russian, with no English).

Most of the book is on the author's experiences as he prepares and trains for the job of teaching officers from another (India) and is very interesting. Frankly, I'll prefer more stories of Terenov's earlier career, but the book was originally intended for a Russian audience (written in Russian to boot!) and presumably talk of the standard Russian system would be a lot less interesting to them than to us. Nevertheless, it is one of a handful of views from Russian commanders that made it all the way to an English translation, and if you cut out those whose views have been irreversibly soured by having an accident happen on their boats, perhaps the only one.

The weak part is at the back, where the author tries to compare the Soviet and Indian naval systems. His points have some merit but are poorly argued in my opnion. For more details, see my fuller review here.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 06:18 AM   #625
OneToughHerring
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Finished The Sorrow Of War. Outstanding book by a veteran of the North Vietnamese army. Shocking, enlightening, funny and tragic. I recommend it highly.
Glad you liked it.

I guess the model or inspiration for it was the classic of all modern war novels, "All quiet in the western front", or so I thought when I read it. But, it's good anyway.

Presently I'm sort of glancing through Sun Tzu's Art of War.
Old 05-08-10, 06:34 AM   #626
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Art of War was a bit of an disappointment to me.

Started reading Generation Kill yesterday.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 12:32 PM   #627
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Just started reading Antony Beevor's Stalingrad, been a while since I read a good book on the Eastern Front and this one looks promising.
Old 05-08-10, 10:58 PM   #628
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

Half way through Kingmaker, ADD kicked in, started my newly bought The Raider Kormoran by Captain Theodor Detmers.

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 02:14 AM   #629
red_scope
Dive to drown.

Downloads: 139

Hitler`s U-Boat War 1939-1942 The Hunters Clay Blair

If ever you wanted to know what happened to a specific u-boat and the circumstances around it, you got it. This is highly recommended.
I`m currently in the opening moves of WW2. As you all know, those u-boat sailors knew what the term "suffering" meant.

All the tonnage stats, technology, and even the philosophy behind the u-boat war is in delicate detail. And after you are done with this mammoth study, another one awaits you - Hitler`s U-boat War 1942-1945 The Hunted. Gonna take me a while to get there.
Old 05-09-10, 07:52 AM   #630
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
Just started reading Antony Beevor's Stalingrad, been a while since I read a good book on the Eastern Front and this one looks promising.
Don't forget his...Berlin the Downfall 1945.

Books by David M. Glantz are well worth reading, he's recognized as the leading expert on the Eastern Front.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books