SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-22, 04:25 AM   #1
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter III Patch availability

Hey. I havn't been here for a long time, but this place seems to be the only place that has the 1.4 patch on the net. And when I try to download it, it just directs me to another site that doesn't have any downloads. Is the patch gone? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I'm also trying to run the game under Windows 7, even under compatability mode for Windows XP. The scan it does claims that my computer meets all proper specifications, but a "Protection System" window pops up claiming that it's the wrong operating system. This is strange because I've gotten this game to run on this computer just fine before.

Help!
Old 04-07-22, 04:52 AM   #2
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi Blacklight ive sent you a PM with download link to SH3 from my mediafire site the SH3 Download is already patched to 1.4 all you need to do is unpackit with 7zip place the SH3 Folder outside program files X86 and then play a single mission like the Happy Time then SH3 will make a SH3 Folder in your documents for all your carrer saves.
My SH3 is from this install already patched to 1.4 then i zipped it up with 7zip and uploaded it to my mediafire site its been downloaded a lot
Then Mod as you see fit
The SH3 Zipped Folder is 1.27gig if you dont have enough room on drive C:/ downloads then uninstall other programes on drive C that you have the dvd so you can reinstall them on drive D then once SH3 is downloaded move that zipped SH3 Folder to drive D unpack in and your up and running

Another option i send you a SH3 Copy on DVD that gives you the option to install it where you like i live in England DVD should take 3 weeks to get to your side of the duck pond pm your home address and ill post you the sh3 dvd

Happy Hunting

Last edited by blackswan40; 04-07-22 at 05:45 AM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 06:21 AM   #3
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Hi Blacklight so SH3 from mediafire downloaded did you unpack with 7zip

if you dont have 7zip you need to download it when you have the SH3 zipped File move it to drive D then unpack it then open the unpacked SH3 Folder double chick on SH3.Exe

Old 04-07-22, 02:22 PM   #4
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Yes.. That’s exactly how I did it. I have 7zip. I sent you a PM reply that lists everything I tried. And now there’s a bit of a mystery with it. Check your PM’s
Old 04-07-22, 02:31 PM   #5
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

I think the issue is windows 7 due to no longer suported by microsoft does any of your laptops have window 10
You could try cleaning your registry with cc cleanner as well as deleting anything SH3 even mods ect and your SH3 Career Folder so there no fragments of SH3 on your System.
Old 04-07-22, 06:26 PM   #6
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I think the issue is windows 7 due to no longer suported by microsoft does any of your laptops have window 10
You could try cleaning your registry with cc cleanner as well as deleting anything SH3 even mods ect and your SH3 Career Folder so there no fragments of SH3 on your System.
Then why does it run perfectly on the laptop that has the same, fully updated Windows 7 on it? And why did this game run fine on this computer maybe a year ago, long after I had fully updated it fully? And why does it no longer work on the Windows XP desktop?

The DVD version I'm using is one of the original releases. By all rights, this thing SHOULD be working. If it works on one system, then it should work on another system that has the exact same OS with the exact same service packs installed.

There's no mod packs or careers to remove either. Those got uninstalled when I initially uninstalled the thing.

You know. I seem to remember having this problem with the game back in the early 2000's. I have a vague memory of uninstalling it, and then going back to re-install it, and it not being able to run. I have this strange feeling that it's the same issue. The thing had bugs right off the DVD where the installer didn't like you installing the program into the default folder that it proposed on install. So I'm really convinced that this will work somehow, but that I'm dealing with a bug of some type. If it works on that laptop, with the same Windows 7 fully updated OS, it SHOULD be working on this desktop.

Question: I'm getting a new Windows 10 computer soon. Does SH3 run on Windows 10 at all? Or am I out of luck unless I can get the thing running on an old PC?

Last edited by Blacklight; 04-07-22 at 09:00 PM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-22, 12:37 AM   #7
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Hi Blacklight i have windows 10 on my gaming desktop and also on my Huawei i5 8gig ram mate book SH3 works fine i made a games folder on drive C:/ but outside Program Files X86 so windows 10 security dont mess with your SH3 Career.
Old 04-08-22, 11:35 PM   #8
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Okay. I don't know HOW the hell I got it to work. But Silent Hunter III is now running perfectly on my Windows 7 desktop.

Here's what I did. Maybe you can figure out how this worked.

It wasn't running at all and giving me the "Wrong Operating System" error as was usual.

Then I noticed that I had the "Windows XP Mode" virtual machine installed on my PC. So I decided to try running it under that. I loaded it up, and it gave me the error message, "Cannot Start 3D Engine". So I figured, "Okay. I tried. Time to give up.". So I closed Windows XP Mode, and went back to regular Windows 7.

I was about to uninstall it, but I decided to click on SH3.exe one last time.

And the opening videos started to play. I didn't touch it. I was afraid to. I just let the video play all the way through.

It took me to the start menu. I started up a campaign.

And there I was... looking around the interior of my Uboat with my bridge officer staring at me like an idiot as usual.

I don't know what happened... or how this thing started working... or what I did to get it working... but it's running perfectly fine now. Now it's time for me to break out my DVD with the Grey Wolves Mod on it, load that sucker up, and start the "Happy Times"!

Last edited by Blacklight; 04-08-22 at 11:52 PM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-22, 12:43 AM   #9
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Hi Blacklight glad you got the sucker working good job Sir before you install GWX i would play a single mission like happy time so it makes your SH3 Folder in your documents for your Career saves also if you are using GWX and the Commander Mod i would download the following 4Gig Patch gives SH3 more usable memory other than the 2gig standard that SH3 allocates a must have if you are using mods ect.
Also the GWX Commander mod Config file so GWX and the Commander Mod talk to each other

4Gig Patch download Link below just unpack on your desktop then place in your SH3 game folder and click on it and it will ask you where SH3 Exe is and patch it will tell you SH3 has been sucesfully patched

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5737

Commander Mod GWX Config File second from the bottom on the right
unpack and place in your SH3 Game Folder you should have two wolf paw print icons one GWX Exe. click on that so it installs GWX once complete then lnstall the GWX Commander Mod Config File so GWX and Commander mod work together with no issues.

http://www.thegreywolves.com/downloads/

Commander Mod 3.2 Download link install outside program files X86 in a Games folder on drive C:/ or where you installed SH3
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4789

Happy Hunting Blacklight Salute

Last edited by blackswan40; 04-09-22 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-09-22, 02:14 AM   #10
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Thank you, sir! Back in the day, we didn't have that 4Gig patch. I just used to load Silent Hunter 3 Commander, GWX, and a small handful of mods, like the Weather Mod, that supposedly helped it not storm ALL the time (It only stormed half the time instead of all the time! Haha!). I keep the DVD with a whole slew of mods in my Silent Hunter III DVD case. I have a SLEW of mods on that DVD. I'm sure that this version of GWX and the SH3 Commander that you have are probably a lot newer than the versions I have.

I also like to install the "JSGeneric Mod Enabler" too. It just makes installing mods easier, and allows me to pull mods out if I find them causing trouble.

Thank you for the links! I would have thought that those two things were LONG ago gone.
Old 04-10-22, 07:42 PM   #11
Ataraxzy
Watch

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post

SH3 Download is already patched to 1.4
Happy Hunting

is the steam version already patched to 1.4?
Ataraxzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 10:43 PM   #12
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataraxzy View Post
is the steam version already patched to 1.4?
Steam SH3 v1.4.0.1, & that's accrdingly to hovering the mouse over it's SH3.exe, there in the folder.

Have both Steam & Ubi access to SH3...

M. M.