Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-16-16, 02:45 PM   #1
silverdragon41
Sailor man

Downloads: 148
Uploads: 0
Default SH5 or SH3?

That is the question. I have SH3 to SH5 but currently deciding on which of those two to play. They both going to be modded. SH3 with the GWX and SH5 with the TWoS. But can not decide which one to play. Thou in truth both games are pretty similar just SH5 is SH3 with updated graphics since both games you play as the germans. So what does the captains on here suggest?
silverdragon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-16, 03:47 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

They are not pretty much the same. Not even close.

SH3 lets you run other boats - the Type II, Type IX and Type XXI. SH5 only lets you run the Type VII, but it gives you the Type VII A, B, C and C-41 (I think). It also gives you the full interior of each boat, with some animated crew spread all around.

SH3 gives you a full crew list, but you mostly don't actually see them. SH5 does away with the full crew in favor of a handful you can talk to.

SH3 has a couple of major add-ons that work wonders for the game, such as the Merchant Fleet Mod, which includes more than 70 new merchant types, and SH3 Commander, which gives you a lot of control over your career and (my favorite) adds real historic names to the ships you sink. SH5 is still stuck with around 10 merchant types. Though there are people working on it, they still haven't been able to add more.

The bottom line is that which is "better" really depends on what kind of game you want to play. They are very different, and both have a lot of fans.

On the other hand, they are both cheap enough that you could buy both and try them for yourself.
Old 09-16-16, 04:20 PM   #3
silverdragon41
Sailor man

Downloads: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
They are not pretty much the same. Not even close.

SH3 lets you run other boats - the Type II, Type IX and Type XXI. SH5 only lets you run the Type VII, but it gives you the Type VII A, B, C and C-41 (I think). It also gives you the full interior of each boat, with some animated crew spread all around.

SH3 gives you a full crew list, but you mostly don't actually see them. SH5 does away with the full crew in favor of a handful you can talk to.

SH3 has a couple of major add-ons that work wonders for the game, such as the Merchant Fleet Mod, which includes more than 70 new merchant types, and SH3 Commander, which gives you a lot of control over your career and (my favorite) adds real historic names to the ships you sink. SH5 is still stuck with around 10 merchant types. Though there are people working on it, they still haven't been able to add more.

The bottom line is that which is "better" really depends on what kind of game you want to play. They are very different, and both have a lot of fans.

On the other hand, they are both cheap enough that you could buy both and try them for yourself.
Well I do not have to worry about buying them as I already own SH3 SH4 and SH5. Its just deciding which one to play first the hard part. I have tried all of them before. Just now wanting to get back into it. Just the deciding issue the main thing. XP Also nice to know the true difference of the games. Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't get really far in any of them so never knew.
silverdragon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-16, 05:13 PM   #4
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

About the only thing that Sailor Steve didn't mention is that SH5 has better graphics than SH3. Other that guess it depends on what your tastes are.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-16, 06:44 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

SH5 TWOS has a working Enigma machine where you can decode your BDU messages and send messages.
SH5 also has KSDCommander which keeps an account of your career and awards.
A unique function is you can see what other gamers are up to with their careers, realism settings and the mods they are using.
There is also a Bar where you can send messages.
Regarding Sailor Steve's comments on the merchant side there are around 46 ships, including freighters, tankers, troop transports, covering the European theatre in the recognition manual.
Graphics is where SH5 scores highly over SH3.
Whether using sobers mega mod or Vecko's TWOS these are active modders.
LSH3-2015 mega mod is highly recommended and comes with a dedicated version of SH3Commander and also the HSIE V16B1 patch.
The SH5 mega mods and modded SH3 (GWX3.0) and other addon options all can give good levels of immersion which can be customized to your own liking.
LSH3-2015 there is an updated version due in 2017.
Although some what behind schedule it does have active modders involved so the future still looks currently bright for SH3 gamers.
Peter

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 09-16-16 at 06:57 PM.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-16, 07:35 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
About the only thing that Sailor Steve didn't mention is that SH5 has better graphics than SH3.
That was only because I figured everyone knew about that part. It was after all the big selling point. Anyone who is unsure on that account only needs to look at the SH5 Screenshot thread.

@ THE BERBSTER: Thanks for the additions and corrections. There's a reason why SH5 is loved by so many today.

@ silverdragon41: If you own them all why not just play them all and decide for yourself? Then you'll know which one's the best for you.
Old 09-17-16, 02:05 AM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Silent hunter Online and World Of Warships...

Do your self a favor , watch some youtube videos and decide for your self...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sh3+gwx

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...olves+of+steel
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-22, 02:03 PM   #8
Steve Gad
Bosun

Downloads: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdragon41 View Post
That is the question. I have SH3 to SH5 but currently deciding on which of those two to play. So what does the captains on here suggest?
I also have Sh3, 4 and 5 but always gravitate back to SH3.
I guess it's because I have better memories of that release.
Steve Gad is offline   Reply With Quote