SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-18-22, 06:30 PM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Able Archer View Post
I
have done those, it is all set to win7 administrator, and full screen and blocked...Again.. This is like a diesase, there is a cure somewhere..
And in my search i found this, maybe the thing blocking me---"DESKTOP-68K8GUU"
"DESKTOP-68K8GUU" is your computer name, that Windows gave it when you did the re-install of the Operating System. So the "Admin" of that computer (you, yourself and thee) blocked you, the player, on the machine. What Windows just absolutely ~loves~ to do to a person re-installing their OS is to create a "Normal User" account for you to log into, and then complain that you do not have "proper authority" to install or modify programs, especially ones in the "Program Files (x86)" folder. Do not install SH4 there. Make your own folder and then your own Install Path in the SH4 install routine, such as "C:\Games\SH4", and then you won't have to worry as much about Administrator Account issues. You might still have to change the UAC and BH pointed out, and you will almost definitely have to noodle with the Properties page, as I pointed out, and you'll have to heed KM and MM's advices, but the game will indeed run on Windows 11 on most any machine, Windows 10 on most any machine, etc. etc., all the way back to and including WinXP. It just gets a pinch more difficult with each version of Windows...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-22, 07:03 PM   #17
Brightstar6
Watch

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
"DESKTOP-68K8GUU" is your computer name, that Windows gave it when you did the re-install of the Operating System. So the "Admin" of that computer (you, yourself and thee) blocked you, the player, on the machine. What Windows just absolutely ~loves~ to do to a person re-installing their OS is to create a "Normal User" account for you to log into, and then complain that you do not have "proper authority" to install or modify programs, especially ones in the "Program Files (x86)" folder. Do not install SH4 there. Make your own folder and then your own Install Path in the SH4 install routine, such as "C:\Games\SH4", and then you won't have to worry as much about Administrator Account issues. You might still have to change the UAC and BH pointed out, and you will almost definitely have to noodle with the Properties page, as I pointed out, and you'll have to heed KM and MM's advices, but the game will indeed run on Windows 11 on most any machine, Windows 10 on most any machine, etc. etc., all the way back to and including WinXP. It just gets a pinch more difficult with each version of Windows...
I deleted sh4 from passport and reinstalled in a folder on my passpot MY SH4..Checked properties but no access to compatabilty..
Brightstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-22, 11:56 PM   #18
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

An external hard or ssd drive, and it won't let you access the "Properties" screen? Are you certain you are selecting the SH4.exe file? If you do not have "Hide extensions for known file types" cleared in folder options, and do not see the "exe" or "ico" file name extensions, then be aware that the files are listed alphabetically, and that SH4.ico will list 'below' SH4.exe - be sure you are choosing the exe file, which will have a "Compatibility" tab on the "Properties" page.

Open your game's "root" folder, such a "E:\Ubisoft \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific", or whatever you installed the game into. Find the first SH4 file, right-click it, and you should get a "context menu" that will have "Properties" at the bottom of the list. Left-click on that, and it will open the Properties to the "General" tab. On that tab, be sure and clear the "Read-only" tick box under "Attributes". Your LAA or 4Gig Patch will activate properly when that box is cleared. Next, click on the "Compatibility" tab of the Properties window. This is where you will have to experiment, but you can almost be certain that you will have to have "Override high DPI..." and probably "Disable fullscreen optimizations" ticked... "OK" your way out and test it. You might have to come back to that same page and try other settings.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-22, 03:30 PM   #19
Brightstar6
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
An external hard or ssd drive, and it won't let you access the "Properties" screen? Are you certain you are selecting the SH4.exe file? If you do not have "Hide extensions for known file types" cleared in folder options, and do not see the "exe" or "ico" file name extensions, then be aware that the files are listed alphabetically, and that SH4.ico will list 'below' SH4.exe - be sure you are choosing the exe file, which will have a "Compatibility" tab on the "Properties" page.

Open your game's "root" folder, such a "E:\Ubisoft \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific", or whatever you installed the game into. Find the first SH4 file, right-click it, and you should get a "context menu" that will have "Properties" at the bottom of the list. Left-click on that, and it will open the Properties to the "General" tab. On that tab, be sure and clear the "Read-only" tick box under "Attributes". Your LAA or 4Gig Patch will activate properly when that box is cleared. Next, click on the "Compatibility" tab of the Properties window. This is where you will have to experiment, but you can almost be certain that you will have to have "Override high DPI..." and probably "Disable fullscreen optimizations" ticked... "OK" your way out and test it. You might have to come back to that same page and try other settings.
I got it to work in windows 11..But only in the vanilla style..JSGME seems to not function correctly IE Install to g/sh4/.. Mod file shows but the files do not show on desktop jsgme for installing...

Last edited by Brightstar6; 04-21-22 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-26-22, 09:07 PM   #20
Brightstar6
Watch

In the past few days i have installed sh4 in D: C: Cx86 G: none of them work..All i get is a pop up "and administrator has blocked access"...I have no idea what to do or try next...
Old 04-26-22, 10:23 PM   #21
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
I got it to work in windows 11..But only in the vanilla style..JSGME seems to not function correctly IE Install to g/sh4/.. Mod file shows but the files do not show on desktop jsgme for installing...
Quote:
In the past few days i have installed sh4 in D: C: Cx86 G: none of them work..All i get is a pop up "and administrator has blocked access"...I have no idea what to do or try next...

This seems to indicate that you are installing with "/program files" or "/program files (x86)" in the installation path. JSGME does not function with those in the path.

i.e. edit the installation path to ANY drive letter as you are trying to do but be sure to delete the above from the installation path if you haven't already done so.

FYI, I never let any games install into /program files or /program files (x86)...

1. It's a left over remnant from earlier versions of DOS/Windows to supposedly protect non savvy users from overflowing the Root-folder with too many entries. Sub-folders such as /program files and /program files (x86) have NO limit on the amount of sub-folders within them because unlike the root folder, they can "grow" to accommodate literally thousands of sub-folders which wasn't a bad idea BY ITSELF but...

2. Microsoft built administrator privilege protection crapola into these two sub-folders "/program files" or "/program files (x86)" that interferes with a lot of programs not put out by Microsoft directly which includes the majority of games.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)

Last edited by Gray Lensman; 04-26-22 at 10:37 PM.
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote