SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-30-17, 05:02 PM   #1
Beastie boy
Nub

Downloads: 57
Uploads: 0
Default Installing mods help please!!!!!!!!!

So After a long absence I have decided to get back into Silent hunter 4 for something different to do.

I had TMO 2.5 & RSRD installed but for some reason kept crashing on startup. no matter what I did.

So cleaver Guy than i am...... I uninstalled SH4. Then found out I've lost my original disc. . So off i trundle to the dreaded site that is UPlay and buy the gold version. Yay it installs.

So i install JSGME and set up the mods in my mod folder. Install the mods. TMO first RSRD then the patch and then the optical fixes. So it crashes again.
So i uninstall everything and the game starts. Finally worked out it was the optical fixes that was killing the game.

Feeling very good with my self I start it up and it looks wrong from what I remember. There was no TMO splash screen on the load screen and the torp tube and dials all look stock.

So i uninstall everything except TMO and still no changes. So what the hell am I doing wrong? I even tried RFB and that looks stock as well and i get the stock loading screen. Is there an installation guide for an old codger like me please? I#ve tried re-downloading all the mods but doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BB

BB
Beastie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 06:25 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The wonderful world of Windows has changed a bit since you last played probably. Windows XP was the last "polite" version of Windows. Since then, Microsoft has introduced us to User Access Control (UAC) and other "goodies" that are ostensibly designed to protect us from ourselves. What this entails is a protection scheme on Microsoft's part that does not allow changes to the Program Files (x86) folder structure, especially anything with an exe, dll or cfg extension. Mods are rife with cfg files, so when you start the game up, Windows "sees" that someone has been naughty and changed the files in your game folder without Windows' authorization, so being the helpful curmudgeon that Windows is, it puts the original files back. So it ~looks~ like your mod activated fine, but in reality, it did not.

De-activate all the mods in the game and then un-install the game once again. You really shouldn't need to use a registry cleaner, unless you still have trouble after this, but just try to re-install the game. When it comes up with the screen with the install path, you want to change that from "C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter..." to something else. About the easiest thing to do is to just delete the "\ Program Files (x86)" part of the install path, and just use "C:\ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter..." as the install folder. But use whatever you want to. Just do NOT install into the "root" C:\ drive, else you'll have similar issues. Once you are re-installed, try the mods again and see how you get along. If you've already done this, "oops" says I... we'll try something else.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 06:46 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

That's what we have to do, while I, playing Silent Hunter with WINE in Ubuntu Linux don't have to put up with ANY of that ridiculous claptrap! Silent Hunter runs just like it did in Windows XP, but faster.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 01:24 PM   #4
Beastie boy
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The wonderful world of Windows has changed a bit since you last played probably. Windows XP was the last "polite" version of Windows. Since then, Microsoft has introduced us to User Access Control (UAC) and other "goodies" that are ostensibly designed to protect us from ourselves. What this entails is a protection scheme on Microsoft's part that does not allow changes to the Program Files (x86) folder structure, especially anything with an exe, dll or cfg extension. Mods are rife with cfg files, so when you start the game up, Windows "sees" that someone has been naughty and changed the files in your game folder without Windows' authorization, so being the helpful curmudgeon that Windows is, it puts the original files back. So it ~looks~ like your mod activated fine, but in reality, it did not.

De-activate all the mods in the game and then un-install the game once again. You really shouldn't need to use a registry cleaner, unless you still have trouble after this, but just try to re-install the game. When it comes up with the screen with the install path, you want to change that from "C:\ Program Files (x86) \ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter..." to something else. About the easiest thing to do is to just delete the "\ Program Files (x86)" part of the install path, and just use "C:\ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter..." as the install folder. But use whatever you want to. Just do NOT install into the "root" C:\ drive, else you'll have similar issues. Once you are re-installed, try the mods again and see how you get along. If you've already done this, "oops" says I... we'll try something else.
OK did all that. Un- installed. Made a new UBIsoft directory on my D drive in the root. not in any of the program files directory. and guess what.... No difference. To get it to run had to run as Admin in win 7 compatibility mode otherwise black screens after intro movie. so just added TMO and started SH4 up. I get the v\vanilla gold splash screen and the game looks vanilla to me. Is there any way to find out in game if TMO 2.5 is working? So uninstalled TMO and put in RFB, get the same and the game looks exactly the same. So uninstalled that and put in TMO and RSRD tmo502 and the patch. This crashes the game after the intro film. Also I'm a big fan of setting up the shot turning of position keeper setting gyro angle to 0 with the scope to target specific areas of the ship. Any way of getting the TDC or gyro angle up in the scope view? Or is it DOK method for the win the only way here?

So right now I have the game in d:\ubisoft\SH4 JSGME running in the same folder. can't see any of the mods affecting the game on start up. Tried using the Ubisoft shortcut and a direct shortcut to the exe file as well still the same issues. p. s I managed to get GWX3 gold working on SH3 in the x86 folder no problem. need to read the manual because the attack interfaces are all different but I can do that later.

Again thanks for the help. Getting the game running isn't a problem but vanilla sucks soooo much.

BB
Old 08-31-17, 01:51 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community >Beastie boy
Post #2 THEBERBSTERS All In One Beginners Mega Mod For SH4 < Includes Download
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-17, 02:46 PM   #6
Beastie boy
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie boy View Post
OK did all that. Un- installed. Made a new UBIsoft directory on my D drive in the root. not in any of the program files directory. and guess what.... No difference. To get it to run had to run as Admin in win 7 compatibility mode otherwise black screens after intro movie. so just added TMO and started SH4 up. I get the v\vanilla gold splash screen and the game looks vanilla to me. Is there any way to find out in game if TMO 2.5 is working? So uninstalled TMO and put in RFB, get the same and the game looks exactly the same. So uninstalled that and put in TMO and RSRD tmo502 and the patch. This crashes the game after the intro film. Also I'm a big fan of setting up the shot turning of position keeper setting gyro angle to 0 with the scope to target specific areas of the ship. Any way of getting the TDC or gyro angle up in the scope view? Or is it DOK method for the win the only way here?

So right now I have the game in d:\ubisoft\SH4 JSGME running in the same folder. can't see any of the mods affecting the game on start up. Tried using the Ubisoft shortcut and a direct shortcut to the exe file as well still the same issues. p. s I managed to get GWX3 gold working on SH3 in the x86 folder no problem. need to read the manual because the attack interfaces are all different but I can do that later.

Again thanks for the help. Getting the game running isn't a problem but vanilla sucks soooo much.
So I fixed it. YAY

Thanks to the wonder that is CSM, great tool BTW

So I did a totally clean install and did a pristine CMS back up on my C drive.

Made a TMO game copy. Ran the 4GB .exe tool on all the Exe for the game JSGME and the multi game .exe.

Then i hit issues. Tried running the multi game and it said it couldn't re-write a .dll so after scratching my head I found one of 2 fixes that could of caused the problem. Both the game directory and the game my documents directory were read only. So changed that for them both with sub folders, then everything ok. Did a JSGME back up. then installed TMO. created a new shortcut from the TMO game folder and it worked. I had a big grin then I'll tell ya. So I tried each mod install separately and started the game after each one and all working fine now. The only thing I did different from the first time with JSGME was take the mods out of the original expansion folder and put those in the mods folder instead so it could have been that. I was surprised to not get any write errors from JSGME on my first attempts though but I think that was the problem it said it updated but no files were being overwritten in the game folder.

So long story short and lesson learned you don't always get non file write messages and check to see if the read only tag is on.

So thanks for the help Guys time to go sing some Japs, for a change. Oh and go learn Grey wolves all over again. Got the same issues thee with Torp solutions as the TDC id no longer showing in the scope. Sigh good job i like a challenge.

BB

Last edited by Beastie boy; 08-31-17 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-30-22, 12:05 PM   #7
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie boy View Post
So After a long absence I have decided to get back into Silent hunter 4 for something different to do.

BB
Welcome back, buddy, you're a long time member, and THANKS for the Overlord support!! Guys like you are why SUBSIM has been around for 25 years.

Neal
Old 03-30-22, 03:31 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Beastie boy!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-22, 07:28 PM   #9
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Old 04-25-22, 01:33 PM   #10
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

There was a problem with the maps, white on white, with black outlines. After trying to fix it I gave up, uninstalled SH4 and reloaded it from my disc. Everything is fine as far as the original goes. I downloaded JSGME from here and all I got was a script file. So I went hunting and found another source, downloaded and installed it but it cannot find the MOD folder, so I installed SH4 on my games disc and JSGME and MOD on the same drive, nothing - the Mod folder - something else went screwy and now the mods have vanished too.

I assume its been a Win 10 screw up as they keep changing things regularly. Does JSGME make its own MOD folder - its been so long since I even touched it, the original was an old version too, but it worked. This one is 2.6.0. 157 apparently.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote