SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-12, 07:35 PM   #16
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 View Post
me and the wonderful girlfriend

drive-in movie theaters

this about sums it up.....

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-12, 08:19 PM   #17
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 View Post
me and the wonderful girlfriend
+

Quote:
one of the last drive-in movie theaters in the midwest!
Who cares about the movie?
Old 05-21-12, 09:24 PM   #18
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

I seen it, over the top action flick. 5/10

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 10:02 AM   #19
Overkill
Frogman

Downloads: 128

Thanks for suffer'n through it so the rest of us can save 2 hours of our lives.
Old 05-22-12, 10:08 AM   #20
asr
Watch

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post

Running out of ships to fight the aliens with and discovering all the secondary armament on the USS Missouri is fully operational, locked and loaded with live rounds (oops, must have forgot to unload all that when she was set up as a museum) [...]

discovering 25 rounds of 16" HE stored on a museum ship in usable condition along with a supply of powder bags sufficient enough in number to fire all 25 rounds. NOT HAPPENING
That part pretty much made me remember Battlestar Galactica (2003)
asr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 10:53 AM   #21
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100

Quote:
Dropping port anchor at flank speed to "wake board" or "drift" (as in car racing if you will) the battleship into turning suddenly to bring the guns around faster.

Just like they did at Midway! The Navy was all like "Lookit this Hiro! No hands!" And the IJN was all like "LOL Wut?". And the Brits were all like "Brilliant!". And the Canadians were all like "Beer?". And the KM was all like "Vy cannot our ships do zat?! Schmetterling!!!" And the Navy was all like "Nya nya! Bet you guys can't hang ten off the bow, either. Losers!" And then the shells started flying (American shells. No Japanese shells because the Japanese were totally amazed by our genius and couldn't shoot back.) and we sank, like, the whole fleet and saved the world. LOL That was awesome.

Old 05-22-12, 12:43 PM   #22
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Dropping port anchor at flank speed to "wake board" or "drift" (as in car racing if you will) the battleship into turning suddenly to bring the guns around faster.
This maneuver is called "Club Hauling". It was on occasion used in the age of sail. It generally meant losing an anchor since after you had turned the required amount you had to cut the anchor free to regain control.

Quote:
CLUB-HAULING

This method of going about is resorted to when on a lee shore, and the vessel can neither be tacked nor box-hauled. Cock-bill you lee-anchor, get a hawser on it for a spring, and lead it to the lee-quarter; range your cable, and unshackle it abaft the windlass. Helm a-lee! and Raise tacks and sheets! as for going in stays. The moment she loses headway, let go the anchor and Mainsail haul! As soon as the anchor brings her head to the wind, let the chain cable go, holding on to the spring; and when the after sails take full, cast off or cut the spring, and Let go and haul!

From The New Practical Navigator (1814).
http://www.psych.su.oz.au/vbb/worono...e/working.html
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 05:40 PM   #23
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

It has to be better than U571
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 06:01 PM   #24
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
It has to be better than U571
Does it? Reminds me of the old joke: They told me to cheer up; things could be worse. So I cheered up and sure enough, things got worse!
Old 05-23-12, 06:59 PM   #25
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

I remember going to a freinds house, whom was at odds with his wife, came in sat down for a couple of minutes, and got up and left, on my way to the door they asked why I was leaving, I said, "when I came here I was really down in the dumps and lonely, man I feel much better now."
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 05:34 PM   #26
tippership
Watch

Downloads: 1

Hey, that anchor trick(it's known as Club Hauling and is a REALLY old trick) at least shows they did their homework..

I for one enjoyed the movie and would say it's a solid B ,movie, B+ if you are paying attention to the scattered details.

The acting was good from all, although the main character actually was not far from pulling the next Chris Pine IMO. Rihanna had superb acting for her debut- her role in the plot could have been enhanced but it was not bad.

As for the Aliens- they needed more done with them, as they show a human-side to them, through one's flashbacks- their engagement decisions, etc.

What got my gears? None of the Destroyers or the Kongo-Class ship bothering to get some Standard Missiles going at the enemy artillery. Phalanx sure had no trouble engaging- where's the rest?

Where were the SSN's?

Aside from that, you know this movie is looking like there will be a sequel.

The love-story plot is an attempt at the type of humor Transformers tried- Not sure how they can adjust that.

There were a few huh's ? Plot wise, but it had moments when it shone- such as hammering out the message that you can serve your country even when your condition would stereotypically make others assume otherwise- or that you can step up to a role, even if you yourself never thought you could(the main character).

Besides, I wasn't going to miss this one-sure it's made by Hasbro, but we need more live-action films showing the extent of the modern US navy(hard to do when you need to find an opponent, and the Russians and Chinese aren't options due to the international market for films.)

You can turn your brain off for this movie, or you can do what I do and try to see through it all- you might find some substance. Battleship isn't completely devoid of it, and that shocked me.

For the Sequel though, it'll all be script-dependent, I can say that right now.
tippership is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 09:44 AM   #27
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

So is the movie based on actual events?

I saw someplace it was based on the game Battleship.

I can't wait for the movie based on "Chutes and Ladders." That should be a thriller.