SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Submarine Scale Models: Subs, Naval, Tanks, Planes, Trains, Space & Other
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-05-23, 11:31 AM   #1
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Icon10 Here's one for Neal in 1/350th scale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351773047015

Its the Bronco SSN-21 Seawolf and not in 1/700th scale.

This kit has been mostly impossible to find in North America for the last 10-15 years unless you wanted to pay an arm and a leg.
I'm guessing they found some cardboard boxes full of kits in a Chinese warehouse.

Neil, you need one of these. Park it next to your Ohio.

For the rest of you, take note of the shipping times. I just ordered one with free shipping and its due to arrive sometime in August.
Still, I've been trying to track this kit down for many years. Four more months won't make any difference.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-23, 10:12 AM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Thanks! I got the last one from that order.
Old 05-03-23, 02:29 PM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

So, my order showed up early.
Who says this forum doesn't have a world-wide reach?

This kit is a nice little enigma, and has always been pretty rare.

The kit is pretty basic. There are the two hull halves (in case you were wondering, yes, its a Bronco alright). Still, the fit will need some work but it is better than their Ohio class. You also get another sprue with parts for the sail, shrouded pump jet thig-a-majig, bow and stern planes, masts, and a two-piece stand. For the masts, you get two scopes, two radio masts, a snorkel, and the "mystery mast" which Bronco thought was a Soviet-era radar. There are also "leopard spot" decals for the scope and radio fairings. There is no photo-etch and all of the plastic is black.

The scale looks good so far although the top of the sail is mostly set up for an "on the surface" look and also looks a little flat.
Its a Bronco and they really should have launched a line of sand paper, files, and putty.

As far as how old this kit is, that's where the "enigma" stuff starts to kick in.
Dates on the box, instructions, and decals fall somewhere between 2009 and 2018 and Bronco has a habit of "re-poping" their molds every couple of years, so your guess is as good as mine. One nice touch on this kit is a "for sale only in mainland China" stamp inside the box.
The decals are sealed and look to be in good condition. You get marking options for SSN-21 and SSN-22 plus the dreaded DSRV markers and full scope and antenna fairing details.

Surface details and panel lines- This is NOT a Hobby Boss kit, it comes from an earlier generation which means that you'll want to have a good scriber and some thick surfacer on the shelf. There is, however, a very thin scribed water line to separate the top and bottom colors on the hull.
Someone got confused on the stern planes and rudders. The stern planes are smooth while the rudders have a scribed "hinge line". The bow dome has no "break line" with the hull, so defiantly measure three times before you paint it. One thing I still want to check, the bow dome should be pretty close to the width of the bow on the Ohio kit and the bow dome on the Ohio kit has always bugged me. At this price point (while the supply lasts) , you may want to pick up a couple Seawolfs if you want to build the SSBN and hack off the domes of both kits.

Minor stuff- The fixed cleats on the hull are molded as blobs but they can easily be filed off and replaced with some shirt pins. Decals are supplied for the wide array sonar on the hull, so double check which paint you want to use for the lower hull. The hull red isn't really right, I'm aiming more for (Tamiya) NATO Black with a solid black upper hull and sail and (Tamiya) Tire Black for the bow dome.

So, its a Bronco and has its flaws BUT its quite in-expensive and best of all, its available again (at least for now). It should be an OK build for new modelers, especially if you want to learn how to file and fill seam lines.
Otherwise, its still your ONLY shot at a Seawolf in 1/350th scale and what you get isn't that bad.

Last edited by ET2SN; 05-03-23 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-04-23, 06:48 AM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Mine came in, I need to fire up the modeling gene again
Old 05-08-23, 12:38 PM   #5
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

So what do you think? A fish tank full of clear resin with the model suspended in the middle or a surface diorama? Be cool to do a pier with it parked next to the Ohio. Be tough getting crew figures and dock accessories in such a small scale though!

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-23, 02:48 PM   #6
ET2SN
ET2/SS

There are several sources for 1/350th scale standing figures.

2D photoetch (pre-painted). I'm pretty sure Verlinden did this first but there are sets from several companies out there.

2D plastic. Tamiya and (I think?) Hobby Boss have sets available for WWII battleships.

3D printed plastic/resin. You can find multiple sets at Shapeways but I haven't ordered any, yet. Shapeways can be a great resource but they can also be a solid pain to order from.

Keep in mind that a 1/350th scale standing figure is about the size of a small tick.

I added a topside PO and a duty officer to my FLT III 688 many years ago and they're still hanging out. I glued their feet to the deck by dipping their shoes in some Elmer's Rubber Glue then quickly stuck them in position while the glue was still wet. The glue is thick enough to keep them standing tall until it dries and you don't have worry about the glue fogging the paint.
With details this size, plan that you're going to lose at least one of them at some point. The rubber glue is easy to remove if this happens.

Now that I think about it, the rubber glue would also work well if you're installing stuff like photo etch side rails and small antennas.

Meanwhile, check that Ebay link in the first post if you're still on the fence about ordering it.
As of today (5/8) there are still a butt ton of those kits available from mainland China.

Last edited by ET2SN; 05-08-23 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-09-23, 07:20 PM   #7
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Having some fun with that propulsor/ducted screw.

Bronco must have given up with the Seawolf's propulsion system.
The pieces you get are pretty neat and have an excellent fit. You get the outer duct, the inner stator, and the outer stator and hub. Either this thing runs on electro/magneto/pump jet tech or, something's missing.

I was goofing with cleaning and fitting these three parts, when it hit me.
It was time to make the call and build it as a ducted pump jet.

In my stash, I have an almost-completed Hobby Boss Yassen class SSGN, also in 1/350th scale (kit # 83526). The Yassen kit came with two options, a large-ish standard screw and a very fiddly ducted pump jet. From civilian intel, it sounds like the design bureau made a big stink about the pump jet but they couldn't get it to work. So, the first hull has the standard screw (which is how I'm building the Yassen).

THIS IS WHY YOU NEVER THROW OUT SPARE PARTS.

I opened the box for the Yassen and found the pump jet's plastic impeller. It looks slightly small and it would take some major surgery, but there's enough room to fit the impeller blades between the Seawolf's stators.

The only tricky part is that you'll have to drill out the center of the impeller's hub. I opened my case of regular drill bits and found that a 7/16th's inch drill made a tight fit with the impeller's mounting hole, so that was what I would use to remove most of the hub. Take your time and drill slowly, the impeller hub is going to become very delicate as you remove the plastic.
Eventually, the drill bit should cut out enough of the plastic so the center of the hub will just pop off leaving the impeller blades and the outer "ring" of the hub. Unfortunately, you aren't done yet. You'll need to drill a 1/8th inch hole (at least) to mount the impeller blades on the Seawolf's main shaft and keep them centered. This may be a good time to break out a miniature/jeweler's round or rat-tail file.

This why I enjoy scratch building and modding small parts. It feels great when it works.

Now, its down to paint. The duct and the cap of the impeller and stators will be painted in NATO Black. The impeller blades will get a thin coat of Titanium Gold and for the stators, I still haven't decided. Either Titanium Silver or Dull Aluminum.
Old 06-01-23, 03:38 PM   #8
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
There are several sources for 1/350th scale standing figures.

3/16ths is awful tiny. You won't be painting eyebrows and uniform details that is for sure!

Old 06-01-23, 03:41 PM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
3/16ths is awful tiny. You won't be painting eyebrows and uniform details that is for sure!
You can-under a microscope and with nano brushes.
(The cost is of course an another story)

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-23, 11:12 AM   #10
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
You can-under a microscope and with nano brushes.
(The cost is of course an another story)

Markus

But what would be the point if you need a microscope to even see those tiny details? I guess Neal could issue huge magnifying glasses to visitors.