SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-14, 02:18 PM   #16
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
i have try logging in several times could never get on but then in a way im not surspise seem like like every release from ubi just got worst least sh1 to 5 you have mods working to make them playable
Same here. I was willing to give the game a shot but I could never play the darn thing.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 05:03 PM   #17
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
Silent Hunter Online will not be receiving additional game updates...
Oh, well… then I hope my mobile title will get enough sales to outsource some work to port it quickly to the desktop with all the eyecandy of 2015.

Silent Hunter is just a name. The game was made in 1939.

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forumfacebook
v-i-c- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 06:47 PM   #18
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman764 View Post
No, that is exactly why I used them

There are a number of full game rebuilds by the modding community that I am sure would have needed someone's blessing before the code from the original game be used. And as you said, they are doing very well.

Actually the source code was illegally leaked by one of the disgruntled developers after being told that they were all fired (or so the legend goes) when Hasbro took over.

But it was leaked. No blessing was ever given.

Very little chance of that happening here.

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 09:57 PM   #19
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Channing View Post
But it was leaked. No blessing was ever given.

Very little chance of that happening here.
It's too bad. This is probably the only way of Silent Hunter being the game it was meant to be.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 06:02 AM   #20
andacio
Watch

Downloads: 79

Too bad , indeed ! But I think that the game was having a future if the players would have seen any changes at all . One year and no change ...it is quite frustrating. Most of the players quit the game when seeing the lack of comunication from the devs . My 2 cent
andacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 07:54 AM   #21
Harald_Lange
Ensign

Downloads: 160

Silent Hunter 6. The controls and interface from Silent Hunter 3, with the graphics from Silent Hunter 5. (Minus the 80's arcade style ship explosions).

Now THAT would be a game! One can dream right?
Harald_Lange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 11:44 AM   #22
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald_Lange View Post
Silent Hunter 6. The controls and interface from Silent Hunter 3, with the graphics from Silent Hunter 5. (Minus the 80's arcade style ship explosions).

Now THAT would be a game! One can dream right?
That dream has been a reality for some time now Guess you haven't checked out the SH5 Mods forum have you?
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 06:46 AM   #23
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
That dream has been a reality for some time now Guess you haven't checked out the SH5 Mods forum have you?

I agree with you absolutely

and further improvements are always in progress...more or less...depending on the time modders have to dispose

Best Regards

DrJones
DrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-14, 04:18 AM   #24
Keef Kavannah
Sailor man

Downloads: 58

damn. another time.
Old 03-14-14, 04:07 PM   #25
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Maybe with the failure of this we can finally but the rights to the Silent Hunter Franchise off of Ubi for cheap?
Knowing UBI it will never happen, and if it did no one could afford it. Same was tried with Hazbro/Atari for "B-17 Flying Fortress "The Mighty 8th"" and that failed.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 11:06 PM   #26
Oleander
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 474

Not at all surprised, they were banking on microtransactions that just haven't materialized. People are getting tired of feeding money to games so they play at a reasonable pace or they have decent weaponry. WOT did it right and made the playing field flat, the premium members get a slight edge but its very subtle.

SHO is just boring, there's not enough TC and there's just not a lot to do. They took an essentially open world game and made it mission based so it just feels sluggish at best.

I really wish someone would make a game like the old POTCO game Disney had. You can buy ships and go out and sink AI ships and have your friends join in. Can't wait for World of Warships, its gonna be awesome.
Oleander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 01:20 AM   #27
TG626
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 3

The whole micro transactions is why I played for a few hours and then went searching for "real" game to buy. After a slight steamed detour I need up with sh4 (wanted to be USN and not KM) and I've never looked back!
Old 03-15-14, 10:05 AM   #28
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Let this be a lesson to other game makers: we are not going to put up with pay to play or microtransactions or internet/cloud based games (we want physical copy on CD/DVD) or DRM crap

Remember there are people like me who, just because I can, will break your DRM/copy protection just for the fun/challenge of it. It may take people like me time to do it but rest assured we have all the time in the world and we will always succeed. Nothing brings a smile to our faces more than breaking/defeating what was thought to be unbreakable/undefeatable

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 03-15-14 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-15-14, 10:56 AM   #29
Oleander
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Remember there are people like me who, just because I can, will break your DRM/copy protection just for the fun/challenge of it. It may take people like me time to do it but rest assured we have all the time in the world and we will always succeed. Nothing brings a smile to our faces more than breaking/defeating what was thought to be unbreakable/undefeatable
This reminds me of when EA released SimCity and then came out and said that it simply isn't possible to make bigger cities or have an offline mode. Within 24 hours there was a video on Youtube of someone playing in offline mode with a bigger city square.

Word to the wise, don't try to put one over on the community, they will beat your butt every time.
Oleander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 11:02 AM   #30
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
This reminds me of when EA released SimCity and then came out and said that it simply isn't possible to make bigger cities or have an offline mode. Within 24 hours there was a video on Youtube of someone playing in offline mode with a bigger city square.

Word to the wise, don't try to put one over on the community, they will beat your butt every time.
Power to the people

Whenever we hear the words 'new DRM' or 'new copy protection scheme' or 'can't use unless ____' it's a call to arms...And we have much bigger and better weapons than the developers. Even if we don't we will make better ones (this is usually a multi-national effort)

Nothing like the international fame for being the first one to prove they broke/cracked it.