Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-19, 03:39 PM   #1
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 2
Default SHCE mods and database file update

Hello fellow subsimers!

I have just published a mod for SHCE here at subsim!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5480

This mod/patch will correct historical inaccuracies for the planes in SHCE. It also includes an other aircraft, the Nakajima B5N-1, witch as the same "skin" as the NAKAJIMA B5N. I added this plane to randomize the load out of the NAKAJIMA B5N (some had guns, some had torpedoes...).

I would be glad to get some feedback from you guys, because I am just not sure that you can encouter these B5N-1 on a patrol. I have also included an analysis of the AIRCRAFT.DAT file and I think that one of the bytes I didn't understand the use of is maybe a spawn factor.

Thanks for trying out my mod (if you did)

BTW: I am currently working on making the same type of mod but for the war ships.
UnderWaterGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-19, 04:40 AM   #2
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

bullhorn

Does anyone know how to open and edit the AIRPICS.SHP and the 3DAIR.CAT in the ART directory ?

Because if we can manage to open and edit both of these files, that would pretty much mean we can mod in a new plane that will have an other 3D view and a different picture in the mission editor.

Also, since the 3DAIR and 3DSHIPS are pretty much the same this would also mean that we can mod in new ships!

Happy Hunting!
Old 05-18-19, 11:42 AM   #3
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

Hi!

I wanted to say here that unfortunately, I have stopped working on the Ship realism mod. I just got bored of it and I am working on something new. This "NEW" mod I am working on, is just I Hex Editing the SH.EXE file. So far I have managed to stop the unrealistic "TARGET DESTROYED!" and it's sound file (pretty good!). I have also changed the annoying GAME OVER text to BOAT LOST, which, in my opinion, makes the game fell more like a simulator.

If any of you have any annoying/unrealistic things you want me to change please let me know!

Happy Hunting!

BTW: I have tried erasing the solution dial in the TDC but have been unsuccessful so far... Also once this mod is finished and published, I will probably continue the Realistic ship mod.
Old 05-18-19, 06:34 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

This is pretty cool! Sorry I can't be of any help but I never learned how to do anything with the original Silent Hunter. Best of luck and thanks for what you're doing. I was responsible for putting up a lot of the old mods here.
Old 05-19-19, 02:14 AM   #5
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

bullhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
This is pretty cool! Sorry I can't be of any help but I never learned how to do anything with the original Silent Hunter. Best of luck and thanks for what you're doing. I was responsible for putting up a lot of the old mods here.
Thanks for the support! Yes, it was a great idea to put Hawk's mod on subsim, seeing has SubSowesPac has stopped working!

If any of you are interested, I'm using HxD to Hex edit the SH.EXE and other files. It's pretty cool because there's a very useful "add byte" option.

Also, I'm waiting for my mod to be able to make, at least, 3 changes to the original game before posting it.

BTW: my REALAircraft mod should now work on SH1 too! I have also found the script for the APR-1 radar detector (it's broken in the game and is not talked about in the SHCE manual). I am trying to make that work too.

Happy Hunting
Old 06-02-19, 08:58 AM   #6
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

bullhorn

I have finally posted my mod that will stop the annoying and unrealistic "Target destroyed!" text and it's audio file, so, that way, if the ship doesn't get cut in half, and sinks by the
BOW or the AFT, you can chose to put one more fish in it or not. Also, if the
ship is destroyed, you will see it appear in the captain's log. This mod will also
change the "GAME OVER" text when you die to "BOAT LOST".

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5482

I am now working on an update to this mod that should make the chart info boxes blank (except for SOME of your subs data). I have almost managed so I know it is possible so it's just a question of time now.

Enjoy! and Happy Hunting!

Steve
Old 06-02-19, 04:58 PM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWaterGamer View Post
I have finally posted my mod that will stop the annoying and unrealistic "Target destroyed!" text and it's audio file, so, that way, if the ship doesn't get cut in half, and sinks by the
BOW or the AFT, you can chose to put one more fish in it or not. Also, if the
ship is destroyed, you will see it appear in the captain's log. This mod will also
change the "GAME OVER" text when you die to "BOAT LOST".

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5482

I am now working on an update to this mod that should make the chart info boxes blank (except for SOME of your subs data). I have almost managed so I know it is possible so it's just a question of time now.

Enjoy! and Happy Hunting!

Steve

Very nice that you take the time to mod one of my favorite sims, I appreciate a lot. While the 'target destroyed' message will not disturb me too much, what I (and a lot of SH1 fans) really would love to see in the game is a much more sporadic appearance of enemy icons on the map. At default, these icons are too often updated and right almost 100% which makes it too easy to intercept convoys or warship groups, and very easy to take a position full ahead (which is ideal). This takes much of the suspense out of this wonderful sim.

Because there are no plotting tools in the game, it's important that at least these enemy icons get more 'unprecise' to balance the gameplay to something really interesting IMO.

I know it's very difficult to mod things, and I could ask too much here - for which I excuse me in advance, but if you could take a look at that, this would be very fine

Best greetings!
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-02-19 at 05:08 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-19, 12:23 AM   #8
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Very nice that you take the time to mod one of my favorite sims, I appreciate a lot. While the 'target destroyed' message will not disturb me too much, what I (and a lot of SH1 fans) really would love to see in the game is a much more sporadic appearance of enemy icons on the map. At default, these icons are too often updated and right almost 100% which makes it too easy to intercept convoys or warship groups, and very easy to take a position full ahead (which is ideal). This takes much of the suspense out of this wonderful sim.

Because there are no plotting tools in the game, it's important that at least these enemy icons get more 'unprecise' to balance the gameplay to something really interesting IMO.

I know it's very difficult to mod things, and I could ask too much here - for which I excuse me in advance, but if you could take a look at that, this would be very fine

Best greetings!
XS
Thanks for the support, I appreciate too!

So, you would like the kind of "last spotted" box data and the square thing? I can try doing that, but I don't know if it is possible, the main problem is that I can't find the variables giving enemy boat data, because I'm pretty sure there is a code giving the location in which the data should go to (e.g. Speed data goes to line xxxxxxxx or something like that...) and this would be good to mod in a data box with no solution percent and an estimate only (or even nothing)

I'll look in to it soon!

Happy Hunting!
Old 06-05-19, 04:01 PM   #9
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Thanks for the support, I appreciate too!

So, you would like the kind of "last spotted" box data and the square thing? I can try doing that, but I don't know if it is possible, the main problem is that I can't find the variables giving enemy boat data, because I'm pretty sure there is a code giving the location in which the data should go to (e.g. Speed data goes to line xxxxxxxx or something like that...) and this would be good to mod in a data box with no solution percent and an estimate only (or even nothing)

I'll look in to it soon!

Happy Hunting!

I remember that the big number of enemy icons on the map (even on hardest game difficulty) and too much information about them was the major complaint players had about the game. In the hardest level, the icons will be without 'cue' to not reveal their course, but because their position is updated often this restriction is useless. In most of my patrols I succeed placing my sub ahead of a group when intercepting, this gives me a huge advantage to start combat.

As a comparison: In SH3,4,5 there are 'convoy reports' sent to you which are not totally accurate, so you have to do some guessing with the map plotting tools (alas not present in SH1). Especially the course estimate of the report can be wrong by as much as 30° which at long distances could make the difference wether you meet the contact or not. Also the speed is only guessed (slow, medium, fast; which can show 3 knots difference in one category). And actually contacts could appear as icons on the map with no speed or course data at all, simulating a radio interception of the contact (which is realistic because in such a case you would only have the position and nothing else.)

However, I'm aware that this code part in SH1 can not easily be changed (if at all). If possible I would take away the course and speed data in 50% of icons appearing on the map and considerably delay their data update also.

But again, impossible or not, I highly appreciate that you take your time with SH1

Cheers,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-05-19 at 04:15 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-19, 02:03 AM   #10
rooivalk
Swabbie

Downloads: 250
Uploads: 0

Thank you UnderWaterGamer for your effort in SH1, I still find myself playing it (probably the most played simulation on my HD) and in some ways prefer the game mechanics to its more modern versions.

rooivalk
rooivalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 06:10 AM   #11
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

radar

I think I'm spending a little bit too much time on trying to find the variables giving enemy boat data, and on top of that, I'm now working on the RealSHips mod that I have been planning on working on since my first mod.

So, I'm sorry to tell you that I'll work on the RXSH mod update (
Quote:
... take away the course and speed data in 50% of icons appearing on the map and considerably delay their data update also...
) a bit slower now...

The only thing left to do really, is to find these variables and either stop the ones giving real time updates on the enemy ships data or replace them by the convoy ones, so, that way, if you got a convoy report, you will get the general convoy data when you click on each ship, but if you didn't get the convoy report data, you won't have any ship data.

Also, when I went in the ships.dat file to start understanding the meaning of all the hex bytes, I'm pretty sure I found the spawn/render byte, which means I might be able to change the traffic rate of ships!

Happy Hunting
Old 07-03-19, 10:37 AM   #12
Sheppard
Captain of the Nautilus

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 0

Quote:
BTW: I have tried erasing the solution dial in the TDC but have been unsuccessful so far... Also once this mod is finished and published, I will probably continue the Realistic ship mod.
I actually like that dial.

I tend to think of it as your crew "telling you", along with your "gut" just how good the firing solution is as an abstraction of the training your men have.
Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-19, 06:35 AM   #13
UnderWaterGamer
Mate

Hellllo, people at subsim!

I have some very good news! And, I know it has been I a little while ago since I posted about my mods, but now I'm currently working on the RealSHips mod that will give more realistic ship data, ad a few more ships and submarines, ad merchants with different tonnage values (they will be either empty ot full) and will (very likely) change the traffic values too (I will get to that later...).

So, like two seconds ago, I just discovered the byte giving hit points to ships by HEX Editing the SHIPS. Dat fill (hinted by Kim when he said that by increasing the tnt values in the torps, the ships sank faster). These hit points apply to Canon shots and to torps.

Also, I have found that SH has a precise and limited number of ships for each class, so that way, you can't sink the Yamato 10 times or something. And when I looked at the number of ships for the merchants, the value was FF FF FF(or some huge value like that), so I'm thinking that if I lower the value to 100 or 50, it might lower traffic (I need to try).

I'm probably soon going to post the mod here at subsim it just might take a little while...

Happy Hunting