anyone know tutorial to play SH2.?
my torpedoes miss a lot..
abee666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 01:20 PM   #2
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

The SH2 Tutorials are a bit harder than they need to be because the details are in the game manual and the game expects you to have the manual with you during the tutorials. The game defaults automatic targeting and automatic torpedo settings.

I am also assuming you are referring to Tutorial 2, which is not the best tutorial in the series because they dump you in an Einbaum 5NM away from your targets. The tutorial forces you to make a proper approach to the targets, which is a pain in the Type II because you are setting up 10-knot targets in a 12-knot boat. You have to run sufficiently West to have enough lead to get into position when you make the northerly turn.

If you are missing, you are either firing at too steep an angle or from too far out. I would recommend that you use the Fast 90 Method. Since this is a tutorial, I would highly recommend disabling duds as the torpedoes have an obnoxious dud rate in the tutorials with the setting enabled. Three ships plus five torpedoes plus obnoxious reload times plus duds equal an impossible-to-complete mission. I altered the Tutorial 2 mission to use a Type VII and the mission was much more practicable.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:15 PM   #3
abee666
Nub

Downloads: 32

thank you for fast response sir..
i am new on subsim so all submarine stuff a bit confusing..
especially the torpedoes setting..
i ll do trial an error a lot on training 2..
have good day
abee666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 10:45 PM   #4
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

It takes a while to get used to the trigonometry involved in getting the torpedoes where you want them. To simplify, you want to be exactly perpendicular to your target's course. When you are within 10 degrees of this, get a scientific calculator and take the target speed and divide it by the torpedo speed. Once you have this number, hit Atan (or tan-1) on the calculator. The number is the lead angle for your shot.

With the tutorial, the targets are at 10 knots and your torpedoes default at 30 knots. The calculation comes out to roughly 18 degrees. That means we need to add or subtract this from 0 or 180 (straight ahead or straight back) to know where to shoot. Since the tutorial has the ships crossing starboard to port. (right to left facing north) we will add 18 degrees to 0 and when the ships cross the 18 degree mark on the periscope, we fire. A hit is almost guaranteed.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote