Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-12, 11:59 AM   #1
festus
Seaman

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter II Help

Howdy Gents!

Having a problem with SH II. I have exceeded the minumum Comp. requirements, upgraded to the XP version, and still it fails. I won't get into the disappointment of the "Spectacular" graphics I was expecting but I just would like it to run without crashing.

In a Campaign, I cannot get past the 2nd. If I complete the first scenario, I MAY get into the next, but may not. And if I hault a game in Campaign Mode, Lord help me if I can get back to it. Is there no "Save Game" button? The Saves I have seen cannot be recovered.

I need some help.

Festus

Last edited by festus; 05-07-12 at 12:34 PM.
festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-12, 12:02 PM   #2
festus
Seaman

Oh, and I just played 2.5 hours with the "Ace's Kampaign" and sunk 5 of 6 targets but when a got to within sight of Keil, the Comp went blank.
Old 05-06-12, 12:48 PM   #3
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by festus View Post
Howdy Gents!

Having a problem with SH II. I have exceeded the minumum Comp. requirements, upgraded to the XP version, and still it fails. I won't get into the disappointment of the "Spectacular" graphics I was expecting but I just would like it to run without crashing.

In a Campaign, I cannot get past the 2nd. If I complete the first scenario, I MAY get into the next, but may not. And if I hault a game in Campaign Mode, Lord help me if I can get back to it. Is there no "Save Game" button? The Saves I have seen cannot be recovered.

I need some help.

Festus
Hey Festus!

I don't know what you know or what you have tried .... I have had success installing SH II and the outstanding add-on mod Pacific Aces on almost every operating system except I never had Vista.

Success with Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Win 95, Win ME, Win XP Pro, and Win 7.

-Install SH II - full install
-Install the official 1.1 patch <--- very important
-I truly believe that installing Projekt Messerswetzer helps

Once you have run it successfully for a while and want more bells & whistles there is a large screen 1024x768 add-on and many other nice mods.

Regarding Save Games there has always been a Save Game bug that is impossible to fix because it is hard coded. A few workarounds have been suggested. Probably do a search here or better yet try using Google, plug in:
site:subsim.com SH II save game problem

Changing the search string to narrow your search. Some suggestions are complicated.

Probably best to allot a large time frame and try to conduct an entire patrol in one session.

Happy Hunting! - ( eventually - I hope :)
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 12:50 PM   #4
festus
Seaman

Default Still Disappointed

Howdy!

I am still disappointed. Played the 1st Scenario of the "Aces" Campaign, AGAIN! and cannot get to the 2nd Mission. The Comp crashes when loading the 2nd Mission. I restarted the Comp 4 times and still no joy. I have the same problem with the Original Campaign. Can't get past the 1st Scenario.

I exceed minumum computer requirements, have patch 1.1 and have tried it with "Messherschmidt" and without. Still, cannot get past the second Mission. I want to add the "Bells and Whistles", but if the computer crashes on the second Mission why bother?

I like the idea of a "Real" Campaign but dang if I'll spend the money when the game won't work sinking Atlantic Convoys.

Fes
Old 05-07-12, 02:47 PM   #5
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
.... I have exceeded the minumum Comp. requirements, upgraded to the XP version, and still it fails. I won't get into the disappointment of the "Spectacular" graphics .......

In a Campaign, I cannot get past the 2nd. If I complete the first scenario, I MAY get into the next, but may not. And if I hault a game in Campaign Mode, Lord help me if I can get back to it.

..... I exceed minumum computer requirements, have patch 1.1 and have tried it with "Messherschmidt" and without. Still, cannot get past the second Mission....
Exactly what operating system did you upgrade from and to (??) Win 95/98 to Win XP ?

Do you have a graphics card (??) if so what kind and how much memory on it?

What processor does your computer have and how much memory?

Sometimes meeting the minimum specs is just not enough - just a thought because it crashed when your sub encountered more traffic and other 'things' approaching port...
Old 05-10-12, 10:06 AM   #6
festus
Seaman

Default Computer Specs

Howdy!

I didn't upgrade from one OS to another causing the problem, I bought SHII just now since my older comp. wasn't up to speed (Not enough memory, etc.)

Now, here's what I have:

Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3

Pentium III 863 MHz with 320 MB ram

ASUS V3800M CDVID Video card with SDRAM = 2Mx32 (This is what is on the card.)
Has NVidia Riva TNT2 Model 64/Model 64Pro chipset with NVidia Display adapter.
(Specs I found on the net says this card supports 2D and 3D graphics)

I have DirectX 9.0c (The most up to date for my OS.)

I did the full install, patched to Ver. 1.1 then added the Project Messerwetzer Patch (I tried it with and without the Messer...) Used Aces Kampaign and without too. I also cleaned up my HD to free up space and now have 2.5 Gig available. That should be plenty for a game that was produced when HDs were measured in Megs. LOL!

My current display is 1280 x 1024 (32Bit) and runs with no problem.
I tried the game in all display options and nothing made a difference concerning the game crash.
(640x480x16 and 32 & 800x600x16 and 32)

Here is the error message I get:

Tue Mar 12 01:25:24 2002
Error -1 [(!(pProfileUnit->Open()))]
DirectX code: "Unrecognized error: 0xffffffff"
F:\Devel\Janus2\WWII\Sources\WWIISWorld.cpp
Line 1238

I am not sure it's the same error message every time but it could be. At least it looks similar.

First, any thoughts on why the game doesn't function properly in the Campaign mode, i.e. can't get to the 2nd scenario? And why are the graphics crap, for the lack of a better word. I have to increase the brightness by 30-40% with the NVidia desktop to see anything and the ocean is just this uniform dark brownish-green color with a jagged, pixelated horizon. And the surface ship details remind me of my old Commodor 64 games.

Just a thought, but could it be a problem with DirectX 9 vs. DirectX 8?

Any ideas?
Thanks! Festus
Old 05-10-12, 11:37 AM   #7
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Yes you do... you even exceed recommended specs. What a shame SH II won't run.
Quote:
SH II. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Minimum system requirements
Pentium II 266
64mb ram
16mb video card with 3D support
Sound Card
650mb free hard drive space
directX 8 or higher
Quicktime 4 or higher

Recommended system specifications
Pentium III 600 or better
128mb ram or better
32mb video card or better
Maybe someone has an idea? I wish I did.

The only issue I have is I must adjust my mouse sensitivity before I begin and when I'm done, readjust it again. Compared to SH4 there is a world of difference in the graphics but when running SH II, the graphics are not Pixelated. Primitive by today's standards but pretty good.
Old 05-12-12, 12:27 PM   #8
festus
Seaman

Default As I said.

Yep, I knew I exceeded the Min. requirements. I even spent $60.00 on a used graphics card because my old NVidia was only 16 meg.

FYI, I just reinstalled the game and patched to 1.1 butwithout the MP window and Messerwetzer. I actuallu got to load the 2nd Scenario and play a bit but was sunk because aI was travelling thru the English Channel at 1054X and when "Planes were sighted" I was already damaged beyond repair. LMFAO!

What's up with that? If the game doesn't revert to 1X time compression when critical conditions change, what is the use of time compression? It's like "You are being shelled, Oh, and by the way you are sunk." Or I got a report form my Sound man about Subs, and by the time I hit backslash key an hour went by and the subs/sounds were behind me. And what about a moon rising at 25:01? Are we not on Earth time?

Thanks for your attempt at help any way. FYI< the Error message I posted previously is the same one I get every time.

Festus
Old 05-12-12, 12:33 PM   #9
festus
Seaman

Default Silent Hunter One vs. Two

Oh, and who is the Romainian Guru who chose the "\" key vs. the return/enter key to set things back to normal time? Do you know how many torpedoes I fired?!

festus

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 05-13-12 at 12:41 AM. Reason: bad choice of words
Old 05-12-12, 02:33 PM   #10
aanker
Pacific Thunder

The poor Romanians had little or nothing to do with Silent Hunter II except that maybe some played it.. anyway we like the Romanian people & the Romanian SH Devs too

Silent Hunter II was originally developed by Aeon Electronic Entertainment, SSI, the Devs of Silent Hunter I, but they left it and Ultimation picked it up.... What a convoluted path this game had prior to being released by Ubisoft in Nov 2001:
SSI (Strategic Simulations, Inc.) with Aeon Electronic Entertainment - to Ultimation - to Mindscape / Mattel - then Ubisoft.

I don't even have all that right because AE should get mentioned and probably others. Between SH I & SH II all these companies were buying companies and parts of companies and collaborating with other companies.

Anyway it sounds like you have it 99% running. In the archives are a lot of tips and tricks and probably a keyboard shortcut map somewhere you can print.

Old 05-23-12, 01:22 PM   #11
juniorjj84
A-ganger

Downloads: 393

Ok my friend it seems you have a serious problems in your hands running silent hunter 2, well first you must clean your comp of any unused programs cause you need some resources free, you seem to install everything correct, the game, patch 1.1, messeng what ever is call, but you have a "JANUS", ERROR RIGHT?, well go to the download side and check the site for this game, pleanty of download moods, including one for the janus error you get, but is most likely a video card issue, i remember having the same problem way back, change video card and now im a happy sailor, but try the different patches they have and see if they work. if not let me know and i see what i can do, i havent install or play this game for years now, but i give it a go and see if i can be of help.
DONT GIVE UP.
juniorjj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-13, 05:43 PM   #12
Chapeau
Sailor man

Downloads: 423

Quote:
Here is the error message I get:

Tue Mar 12 01:25:24 2002
Error -1 [(!(pProfileUnit->Open()))]
DirectX code: "Unrecognized error: 0xffffffff"
F:\Devel\Janus2\WWII\Sources\WWIISWorld.cpp
Line 1238
This Janus error means you're missing a Unit Definition File (.UDF) in the Sim/Units folder. Every unit mentioned in the Scenario Definition File (.SDF) must be found in the Units folder.
Old 01-28-13, 06:41 PM   #13
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Projekt Messerwetzer fixes all of the Janus errors. It fixed all of mine when I did my Win7 Laptop install. I still play it from time to time. I like the Das Boot Sound Mod.

Happy Hunting!
Old 01-28-13, 08:23 PM   #14
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
Projekt Messerwetzer fixes all of the Janus errors. It fixed all of mine ..........

Happy Hunting!
Ditto - Projekt Messerwetzer ended all my Janus problems.

Happy Hunting!