Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 07-12-11, 05:37 AM   #31
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Why?
Hmm was thinking of getting a 32-bit OS to use more than 4GB of memory, tend to lose track of all the different terms and techniques. Long story short: it's a lot easier to just move to a 64-bit OS. Aparently PAE doesn't even work for a consumer OS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

The 2GB per application applies to 64-bit applications as well unless they are flagged as 'large address aware'. When they are, 32-bit applications (on a 64-bit OS) can use up to 4GB while 64-bit applications with the flag can use up to the theoretical maximum of 8TB.

On 32-bit Windows, you can still get an application to use more than 2GB with AWE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address...ing_Extensions

So why not a good idea? These are all things that circumvent normal operation, hacks. As such, you're more likely to run into trouble. Flagging 'large address aware' is aparently fairly easy-going though.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-11, 06:14 AM   #32
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Thanks but I think we indeed miscommunicated then. I was not saying to patch an older 32Bit Windows to have more than 2 or 4 GB of RAM in use - I use a Windows version that can handle more, obviously. I was about making old exes that are limited to the low RAM barrier asking the system for RAM beyond that limit. The socalled 4GB patch, which became popular with FS9, does right this: it makes FS9 using more RAM than it was designed to ask for, and so the OOM error appears not as often, or not at all.

People started to beef up graphics in FS9 and installing more demanding addons when better hardware became available. Not before this change the RAM limits of FS9 became known to a wide public. Before, nobody was able to push for that "RAM barrier".

I read somewhere how to tell an old 32 Bit XP as well how to handle a patched exe wanting more RAM, XP needs to be told. As you and GSpector said (thanks btw, GSpector), newer OS do not need to be told, since they natively handle more RAM.
Old 07-12-11, 08:23 AM   #33
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

I understood what you ment, just got the terms mixed up (again).

That PAE for the OS is a pain in the ass, but a patch to make an application large address aware shouldn't be problematic.

Games are starting to push the memory barrier, especially sims. Some, like DCS A-10C, moved to 64-bit because of it. Wish more developers would make the step, they're going to have to at some point.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote