Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 03-06-11, 10:31 PM   #1
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default IL-2 1946 questions

Okay guys, after eyeing it for some time now, I believe I want to get IL-2 1946. But I have a few questions.

First of, what kind of computer do you need to run this game?? Right now my comp runs Sh3 pretty well and Sh4 the same but not Sh5 at all.

Secondly, what is the campaign like in detail??

Third, just HOW MANY planes can be flown here??

Fourth, is the disc like Sh3?? As in I can install it and play without the disc so I can put it on multiple computer and play LAN games with my friends in the same house.

And finally, any glaring bugs or glaringly awesome features I should know??

Thanks guys
Old 03-07-11, 04:47 AM   #2
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
First of, what kind of computer do you need to run this game?? Right now my comp runs Sh3 pretty well and Sh4 the same but not Sh5 at all.
if you can run SH3 and SH4 you can run this without any doubt.
but below here are the game's specs.

Quote:
Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz / Athlon Equivalent
Memory: 1 Gb
Hard Drive: 1.1 Gb free
Video Memory: 128 Mb
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard
Mouse
DVD Rom Drive
Quote:
Secondly, what is the campaign like in detail??
With a third party Dynamic Campaign Generator, it'll be okay as you can customize some settings like ground force activity, amount of friendly and enemy flights are in the air at the same time also the DCG keeps track of frontline movement and when a bridge is destroyed it'll remain destroyed for the next couple of missions untill repairs by ground forces has been made....otherwise without DCG not really worth playing imo.
however the sim lives up when played in multiplayer with friends and such (you can also use DCG to play a online coop campaign)

Quote:
Third, just HOW MANY planes can be flown here??
229 according to sources and with the newest updates a couple more.

Quote:
Fourth, is the disc like Sh3?? As in I can install it and play without the disc so I can put it on multiple computer and play LAN games with my friends in the same house.
Can't guarantee you on that...as some retailer versions do and some don't.

Quote:
And finally, any glaring bugs or glaringly awesome features I should know??
The game itself is as solid as an house.

HunterICX

Last edited by HunterICX; 03-07-11 at 06:57 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 11:27 AM   #3
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
if you can run SH3 and SH4 you can run this without any doubt.
but below here are the game's specs.

With a third party Dynamic Campaign Generator, it'll be okay as you can customize some settings like ground force activity, amount of friendly and enemy flights are in the air at the same time also the DCG keeps track of frontline movement and when a bridge is destroyed it'll remain destroyed for the next couple of missions untill repairs by ground forces has been made....otherwise without DCG not really worth playing imo.
however the sim lives up when played in multiplayer with friends and such (you can also use DCG to play a online coop campaign)

229 according to sources and with the newest updates a couple more.

Can't guarantee you on that...as some retailer versions do and some don't.

The game itself is as solid as an house.

HunterICX
alright! Thanks very much!
Old 03-07-11, 12:33 PM   #4
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

The only downside of Il2 is the awful AI.
Old 03-07-11, 01:34 PM   #5
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
The only downside of Il2 is the awful AI.
To clarify, the frustrating thing about the IL-2 AI isn't so much that it's completely unworkable, it's just that it's stupidly deadly - in equal parts to you and itself. AI planes, unless you dumb them down, are a little too good at shooting, and while they're not terrible at evading you, they aren't very smart about survival either. Their only tactic is to turn or dive violently to shake you off their tail, then try to get on yours. The AI pilots don't "think" much about energy and are often poor at exploiting their planes' advantages. Usually that means that encounters with the enemy end up very deadly for everyone involved. Always irked me a bit.

As for campaigns, it's also worth pointing out that besides the 'dynamic' generator, there are also scripted campaigns, with many made by the community. While the idea of scripted may be sort of archaic, I actually found myself enjoying them a lot. There's a lot of well-designed story-driven campaigns out there that I had much more fun with than the dynamic stuff.

And yes, the game is a multiplayer workhorse. By this point it's very stable for the purpose and you'll always find lots of people to play with.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 03:13 PM   #6
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
To clarify, the frustrating thing about the IL-2 AI isn't so much that it's completely unworkable, it's just that it's stupidly deadly - in equal parts to you and itself. AI planes, unless you dumb them down, are a little too good at shooting, and while they're not terrible at evading you, they aren't very smart about survival either. Their only tactic is to turn or dive violently to shake you off their tail, then try to get on yours. The AI pilots don't "think" much about energy and are often poor at exploiting their planes' advantages. Usually that means that encounters with the enemy end up very deadly for everyone involved. Always irked me a bit.

As for campaigns, it's also worth pointing out that besides the 'dynamic' generator, there are also scripted campaigns, with many made by the community. While the idea of scripted may be sort of archaic, I actually found myself enjoying them a lot. There's a lot of well-designed story-driven campaigns out there that I had much more fun with than the dynamic stuff.

And yes, the game is a multiplayer workhorse. By this point it's very stable for the purpose and you'll always find lots of people to play with.
Do there happen to be any mods for the AI??
Old 03-07-11, 03:21 PM   #7
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

I'm not aware of any AI mods.

@CCIP
There's much more to it. AIs which are not set to expert or ace can't do even the easiest deflective shooting. Just evade slightly and they'll never hit you. Wingmen don't engage when their leaders are attacked, damaged planes disengage combat but don't fly straight back to base but continue their flightplan (even if this leads them deeper into enemy territory with an already screeching engine), planes in rtb mode won't respond to attacking enemies expect for some half a$$ed evading manoeuvres which will never safe them. The AI can see through clouds and at night, 360° all round view. It cheats with the physics and is faster than any human in the same aircraft.
That's just out of the top of my head.
Old 03-07-11, 04:07 PM   #8
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
I'm not aware of any AI mods.

@CCIP
There's much more to it. AIs which are not set to expert or ace can't do even the easiest deflective shooting. Just evade slightly and they'll never hit you. Wingmen don't engage when their leaders are attacked, damaged planes disengage combat but don't fly straight back to base but continue their flightplan (even if this leads them deeper into enemy territory with an already screeching engine), planes in rtb mode won't respond to attacking enemies expect for some half a$$ed evading manoeuvres which will never safe them. The AI can see through clouds and at night, 360° all round view. It cheats with the physics and is faster than any human in the same aircraft.
That's just out of the top of my head.
Let me guess, this is all hardcoded too.. Damn ubisoft
Old 03-25-11, 06:26 PM   #9
flatsixes
Weps

Downloads: 8

I'm glad that I checked into this forum. I haven't played my flight sims in a while (CS2&3 and MS FS X) and I was looking for a new thrill. I saw IL-2 1946 for $15 (!!!) on Amazon and thought maybe I'd give it a ride. It looks likes there's a boat-load of mods out there for the game, which tells me that (like Silent Hunter and GTR-2) the game's got a dedicated fan base. Goodbye $15!

Thanks everybody.
flatsixes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 04:35 PM   #10
Diablo2
Mate

Downloads: 85

Good thing about this sim is its still being patched.. If you read the notes for the upcoming 4.11 patch there are AI tweeks in the mix.

Patch 4.11 Discussion
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=18260
Diablo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 08:58 AM   #11
Mud
Captain

Downloads: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatsixes View Post
I'm glad that I checked into this forum. I haven't played my flight sims in a while (CS2&3 and MS FS X) and I was looking for a new thrill. I saw IL-2 1946 for $15 (!!!) on Amazon and thought maybe I'd give it a ride. It looks likes there's a boat-load of mods out there for the game, which tells me that (like Silent Hunter and GTR-2) the game's got a dedicated fan base. Goodbye $15!

Thanks everybody.
Complete serie 10$
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/il_2_sturmovik_1946
Old 05-05-11, 05:28 PM   #12
saipan
Gunner

Downloads: 118
Default IL1946 mods

IL2 is a heavily modded game. unlike SH series wheres its alot of mods used at your preferance, IL has megamods that covers all the bases. U can then use the jgsme to adjust as u wish. check out:

http://ultrapack.il2war.com/index.php/board,7.0.html

the new version shouuld be out next week. this mod adds even more planes, prop and early jets.

check out the ghost skies server for action also.

http://www.ghostskies.com/

regardless of version what u fly, UP, HFX, vanilla i would join a sqd. flying as a member of a group is fun and u can learn alot. all depends on theatre and what planes u like to fly.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/48310655
saipan is offline   Reply With Quote