SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-19-09, 11:55 AM   #1
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Downloads: 936
Uploads: 0
Das Boot HD/Bluray DVD

Does anyone know where I can obtain a HD/Bluray Directors Cut DVD version of the Das Boot Movie, ive tried all the shops i know and Ebay but no joy?
sonicninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 12:03 PM   #2
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I don't think it's been done in BlueRay.

I have a version done in "SuperBit".

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 12:27 PM   #3
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

The Superbit is also OOP if I remember correctly, but you can still pick up a copy here and there. I got one from a third party seller via Amazon. It doesn't come with any of the extras that appear on the other Director's Cut DVD (other than a wider range of possible subtitle languages) but it's not like that one's chock full of bonus goodies either.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ss_T15_product

What I'd really like to see is some kind of special anniversary edition with mo' better extras, since every available version on DVD seems woefully lacking in that department. Surely if that happens it'll come out on both DVD and Blu-ray.

Oh and BTW this is my first post here, although I've been lurking for a bit. New to the game and the site and really enjoying all the info, etc., that is available here so thanks to everyone who creates/maintains/participates!

Frau Kaleun
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 03:25 PM   #4
Gabucino
Gunner

Downloads: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicninja View Post
Does anyone know where I can obtain a HD/Bluray Directors Cut DVD version of the Das Boot Movie, ive tried all the shops i know and Ebay but no joy?
Currently when you want to get the highest quality, you have to make compromises.

The DVD (Director's Cut) has the DTS audio, but low-res video.
The 720p HD release (Theatrical cut) has only AC3, and hardcoded english subtitles (probably not a problem).

There's a custom fan-made encode circulating which features the HD video and the DTS audio cut down to the theatrical release.
Gabucino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 03:42 PM   #5
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Wrong forum ... moving it
Old 11-19-09, 05:35 PM   #6
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Welcome aboard Frau Kaleun!
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 10:30 PM   #7
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Welcome aboard Frau Kaleun!
Thanks, glad to have found this site and to be here.

Now that I think of it, isn't the 30th anniversary of the original theatrical release coming up soon? Maybe if we're all very, VERY good, they'll put out something special for it.

*sigh*

A girl can dream, anyway. Was there ever a "making of" documentary or anything that was done for European audiences? I would love to see something like that show up on a DVD re-release someday.
Old 11-20-09, 02:17 AM   #8
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Here's an interesting fact about the making of Das Boot, an article taken from Wikipedia and verified by other sites also:-

A mock-up of a conning tower was placed in a water tank at the Bavaria Studios in Munich for outdoor scenes not requiring a full view of the boat's exterior. When filming on the outdoor mockup or the conning tower, jets of cold water were hosed over the actors to simulate the breaking ocean waves. During the filming there is a scene where actor Jan Fedder (Pilgrim) falls off the bridge while the U-boat is surfaced and lands in the front and breaks several ribs. This scene was not scripted and during the take one of the actors exclaims "Mann über Bord!" in order to draw attention to Fedder. Petersen, who at first did not realise this was an accident said "Good idea, Jan. We'll do that one more time!". However, since Fedder was genuinely injured and had to be hospitalised, this was the only take available and eventually Petersen kept this scene in the film. In this scene, the pained expression on Fedder's face is authentic and not acted. Petersen also had to rewrite Fedder's character for a portion of the film so that the character was portrayed as bedridden. For his scenes later in the film Fedder had to be brought to and from set from the hospital since he suffered a concussion while filming his accident scene. Fedder eventually recovered enough and Pilgrim is seen on his feet from the scene when the U-96 abandons the British sailors

Now thats hardcore acting!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot
Old 11-20-09, 09:25 AM   #9
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

I've always been somewhat impressed by the fact that "Lt Werner" didn't break character and yelled out Mann über Bord! instead of something less nautically correct.
Old 12-01-09, 12:18 PM   #10
sonicninja
Watch Officer

apparently play.com are going to release a blu-ray version of Das Boot shorlty, i am on the email list for release so i shall post it here when it comes out
Old 12-01-09, 02:39 PM   #11
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Blu-Ray is only worth having if you have an HD TV, right? Or some other HD video playback option? Or is the quality just better anyway no matter what you play it on, compared to DVD?

I ask that, like I'm not going to buy it eventually anyway, just on principle.
Old 01-26-10, 03:53 PM   #12
Jungmann
Watch

Downloads: 33

At the moment the directors cut of Das Boot is being shown in HD in the UK on SKY Movies. Next showing is:

FILM: Das Boot: Director's Cut
On: Sky Movies Indie HD (339)
Date: Friday 5th February 2010 (starting in 9 days)
Time: 09:00 to 12:25 (3 hours and 25 minutes long)

As World War II rages, the crew of a German submarine battle for survival when their U-boat is badly damaged in a skirmish with British forces. War drama.
(Widescreen, High Definition, Dolby Digital 5.1, 1981, 12, 4 Star)

It been on a few weeks ago and I can confirm that it is in HD.
Jungmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 12:35 AM   #13
desertisland
Gunner

Downloads: 34

Don't think blu-ray is going to do much to Das Boot since the original print was soaked and have to be baked in an oven to restore. The director's cut we see was a made from a copy of the original. Still, I hope to see a blu-ray release. I wish they include a pop-up map that pinpoints the submarine's position in the Atlantic. Blu-ray Master and Commander has that and it looks great. A depth meter and an oxygen level display would be fine too.
desertisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 10:50 AM   #14
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

I now have both the 1997 Director's cut DVD which I bought about 10 years ago and the 2004 uncut version DVD which I just purchased.

Technically, the director's cut is better. The sound mix which was remade for that DVD has a deeper, more robust sound, especially the underwater noises (i.e. sub creaking, depth charges, breaking up noises). The sound mix in the uncut version is from the TV mini-series and it shows. You wont necessarily notice the difference on a TV, but on a Home Theater system like I have, it is night and day.

In terms of image quality, it is about the same, although I find the image quality on the Director's cut is slightly sharper. On the Uncut version, the image, especially on the newly added scenes is a bit fuzzier.

Having said all that, the uncut version works better as a movie, since the new scenes fill in and complete the movie and tie it in more to Buckheim's original book.

so get both....

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 02-24-10 at 01:36 PM.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 07:11 PM   #15
desertisland
Gunner

Downloads: 34

I have the theatrical release on VHS, the director's cut on DVD, the uncut version on DVD, and the superbit version of the director's cut on DVD. What I need is a life.

The uncut version doesn't work for me, I find it long and boring. The director's cut is the best with the best picture and sound. The theatrical release is just right if I need to show it to someone who is not crazy about submarines. If only I have a VHS now.

The superbit version sports a DTS track which vastly surpasses the already excellent track of the director's cut, and I have a cheapo surround system. It boasts a bit-rate double that of the old one (spanning two DVD9s instead of two DVD5s) but the enhancement in picture isn't noticeable unless you hit pause and look hard at Jürgen Prochnow's face.

I highly doubt if blu-ray will do much to improve this movie without massive graphic editing, perhaps just the underwater opening scene.
desertisland is offline   Reply With Quote