SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-26-20, 01:17 PM   #76
NavyGuy570
Seaman

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Great mod, it adds a lot of flavor to the campaign. The 1984 campaign gets old after a while. I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but according to one of my books, the Romeo, Kanin, Sverdlov, and Kazbek where all retired by 1990. It is also interesting to note, a couple Yankee's (both the SSGN and SSBN versions), and a couple Whiskey's, where still in service at the time. But honestly I'm not sure if there would be enough to really make an appearance. Just a couple thoughts, but very nice work!

NavyGuy570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-20, 01:22 PM   #77
GSmith63
Sailor man

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGuy570 View Post
Great mod, it adds a lot of flavor to the campaign. The 1984 campaign gets old after a while. I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but according to one of my books, the Romeo, Kanin, Sverdlov, and Kazbek where all retired by 1990. It is also interesting to note, a couple Yankee's (both the SSGN and SSBN versions), and a couple Whiskey's, where still in service at the time. But honestly I'm not sure if there would be enough to really make an appearance. Just a couple thoughts, but very nice work!
Thanks NavyGuy! The overall goal was to simulate the attrition of front line Red units over the course of the war. But yeah, I agree that those older units were largely out of service, although many of them had not yet been scrapped. My thought was that they would have been quickly pressed back into service to replace front-line units that had been damaged or sunk. In the campaign timeline the Soviets had nearly three months to prepare before the beginning of hostilities, so the re-activations could have started early.

With that said, I'll also be the first to admit that I'm not sure if my line of reasoning is brilliant conjecture or self-serving rationalization!
GSmith63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-20, 04:00 PM   #78
NavyGuy570
Seaman

Downloads: 5

I mean, it definitely makes sense to do that, I know I would. But at that point in time, most of the older units where being retired faster than they could be scrapped. Now days if you go onto Google Earth for example, you can see that they where actually scuttling units in mass, the majority of them being older subs. I mean, you could reactivate a scuttled sub, but faced with the economical situation at the time, I don't know if it would really be feasible. I also think the majority of the older surface units where sold for scrap to western nations. In the late 1980's, a Kanin sunk off Norway on its way to the breakers, and the majority of the Sverdlov's where actually retired in the 70-80's. Just a couple of thoughts. Sorry, I know I sound like a jerk.
NavyGuy570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-20, 10:34 PM   #79
GSmith63
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGuy570 View Post
I mean, it definitely makes sense to do that, I know I would. But at that point in time, most of the older units where being retired faster than they could be scrapped. Now days if you go onto Google Earth for example, you can see that they where actually scuttling units in mass, the majority of them being older subs. I mean, you could reactivate a scuttled sub, but faced with the economical situation at the time, I don't know if it would really be feasible. I also think the majority of the older surface units where sold for scrap to western nations. In the late 1980's, a Kanin sunk off Norway on its way to the breakers, and the majority of the Sverdlov's where actually retired in the 70-80's. Just a couple of thoughts. Sorry, I know I sound like a jerk.

No problem Navy Guy - I'm a big fan of constructive criticism. No one ever got better by listening only to praise.
Old 12-02-20, 11:20 AM   #80
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default very true

yes i couldn't agree more

show me a person who,s never made a mistake & Ill show you a person that has never made ANYTHING !!!

Steel Shark
Old 03-04-21, 11:52 PM   #81
GSmith63
Sailor man

Default Update 4a

Update 4a for the North Atlantic 1990 Realism Mod has been released. Mostly minor tweaks this time, including:

* Modified Land Strike missions to make the amount and type enemy activity near the launch basket much more variable.

* Modified SS Wolfpack missions to increase the number of enemy subs encountered, especially early in the conflict.

* Corrected the language in some ASUW mission orders and eliminated some contradictory information.

* Added one knot to the max speed to the Sturgeon class so that it is capable of performing knuckle maneuvers.

* Added additional artwork for "mission end" screens.

The update can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D47...ew?usp=sharing

Enjoy!
Old 03-12-21, 06:19 PM   #82
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default ill try this out

thanks ill have a go on this it will be nise to play something ive not actually made for once

Steel Shark
Old 04-28-21, 05:27 PM   #83
Lonny007
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 982
Default Love your Realism Campaign!

I have to say for a Naval Game and Submarine gameplay factor Cold Waters has been been MY BEST MOST satisfying & constant entertaining excitement Submarine and Naval game experience so far, (never a dull or boring moment with the way this Sub game was made to play out, unfortunately other Sub Sim games can have long stretches of real time with boredom.) I am 51 and been playing since Dos. Your Realism Mod is what really topped it off for me = GREAT JOB = THANK YOU SO MUCH! The game play always amazes me with the different ways I die and also survive when I thought for sure I was a goner. Your Campaign is top notch and love how you can replay over and over again and things never play out the same, also easy to easier or harder opponents to existing campaigns like the Udaloy destroyer can really make things dangerous if you get to close to one, I have had many exciting moments trying to survive attacks from them.

I Honestly would have To give Cold Waters with your Realism Campaign as a Naval Game and Submarine Game and in the category as far as Steady Fun always Satisfying Exciting Gameplay and replayability and never a dull or boring moment is concerned The Best Naval Game and Submarine Game that I have played and I am a big SH3 and Sh4 Fan too, the Dark Waters Mod for SH4 is a real Gym and also the TMO Mod for SH4 is a must have Mod. Unfortunately with All the latest SH3 Mods I end up getting a CTD while playing the Campaigns. I hate CTDs Never had a 1 CTD with Cold Waters and have more hours playing that sub sim then the others. Cold Waters and your campaign is what helped me pass the time while living in a toy hauler for 2 years looking for gold out in the AZ desert.

Thank You Killerfish and GSmith63!

I have not tried the Epic Mod yet, does your campaign work with that mod?
Lonny007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign, fixes, new content, realism