SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-18, 06:48 PM   #1
Charliehorse241
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Exclamation Silent Hunter 2 GOG can't even get past the setup window.

I used to play this on my dad's old Windows 98 all the time as a child. And I was feeling a bit nostalgic, so I brought it off of GOG.

I get it installed, start it up, aaaannnnnd it freaks out. (more specifically, it opens into a 640 x 480 white screen which changes to my desktop resolution, switches back to what I assume is 640 x 480 and then back to my desktop resolution again, it switches between the two every 5 seconds and continues to do so until I force it to close via task manager)

At the time, I figured it had something to do with my dpi scaling settings. So I right clicked the shortcut, clicked on properties, went into the compatibility settings tab, disabled the dpi scaling, and also set it to run as administrator just in case.

I open it up, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnd it freaks out again.

I tried setting the compatibility to both Windows 95 and Windows 98, neither of them worked.

I tried setting it to 16 bit color, still didn't work.

When I set it to Windows 98 8 bit color, this actually made somewhat of an improvement, I saw the settings window for a fraction of a second, and then when it freaked out yet again, it switched between blank windows instead of white screens.

I have tried futzing about with the compatibility some more, I have tried installing the 1.3 patch from this website, I have even tried uninstalling my current QuickTime and changing it to the ancient QuickTime 5.0.2 from when the game was originally released. I have tried everything short of smashing my current computer with a sledgehammer and excavating my old toaster of a Windows XP laptop.

It's driving me NUTS!!

My OS is Windows 10 (Yes, i know it's awful, but it's what i'm stuck with for the time being) My video cards are Intel 4000 (which I've heard doesn't work very well with this game) And Nvidia GeForce GT 630m (I tried forcing it to run with this one and got the same result)

Edit: Managed to get it working on my own, I had this strange hunch that perhaps there wasn't really anything wrong at all and it was simply taking an unusually long time to load for whatever reason, so I opened it, went to take a shower while it did it's "thing"
And sure enough, when I came back, the setup window was finally there, and working properly, so I went ahead and made my configurations (You know what they say about looking a gift horse in the mouth) Once I did that and launched the game everything worked perfectly fine, at the main menu and in sim, the only minor issue I had was that the Eric Topp interview menu had messed up colors and crashed the game when I tried to play a video, but once I went into compatibility settings and switched off 8 bit color, that also worked perfectly fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It just works!

Last edited by Charliehorse241; 12-07-18 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Nixed the profanity and gave an update on my situation
Charliehorse241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 11:11 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Charliehorse241! please refrain from **** as per the FAQ's explicit caution on vulgarity.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-18, 03:12 AM   #3
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ahoy @Charliehorse241 and welcome aboard!

Old 05-24-20, 11:15 AM   #4
MS angevelu
Swabbie

Downloads: 152

Silent hunter II GOG version works very well on win 10, just take these precautions;
- don't install it in C:\Programs (x86), but in any other directory or hard drive.
- add the patch 1.1 and messerwetzer SH1.03, it's better to add the Hires patch ( 1024X 768 ) and activate it with the 1024config.exe , if in this case it's impossible to run the game, (black screen, blockage, or janus error) you have to downgrade the graphic card drivers by uninstalling it, and leave the native drivers of win 10
- it is necessary to set the shell.exe to Win XP sp3 compatibility (not win 98 or 95), this will reduce the mouse speed, and run as administrator
Old 08-10-20, 11:08 AM   #5
Gudadantza
Swabbie

Downloads: 54

My experience with SH2 from GOG, recently purchased is that the game runs flawlessly I a detail is done.

Once installed it ends trying to install a quicktime version for the ingame videos. I had a newer version already installed so it said the installation could not finish. I ran the game and it worked fine with 800x600 32 bits. But the intro or the museum videos did not work.

So I uninstalled the quicktime from my rig and let gog to revise my files and it installed the quicktime version. But it was the same version I had previously installed. I tried the game again and it worked but not the videos or the interviews again.

I tried a lot of compatibility settings but nothing worked until I messed with the admin rights from the exe. I noticed that if I did run the topp videos director app outside the game the videos worked fine.

GOG use to have their old games with the "run as administrator" enabled by default for all users. Once I disabled the admin rights for all users in all the exes, the game and videos worked fine and stable ingame. No need of any compat settings for xp or 98 etc. But I think it doesnt matter. it does not harm.

Windows 10 64 bits here.

I hope it is useful for anything. Greetings.
Gudadantza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 05:30 AM   #6
Sirin
Swabbie

Downloads: 157

I got it recently from GOG and it worked absolutely fine straight away.

I'm curious about modding though: is it harder to do than with the original disk version? I had no problems with heavily modding the Steam version of SH3, but I have no idea whether GOG is different in this respect.

Also I assumed it came with the latest patch but I guess not?
Sirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-20, 10:21 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Sirin!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-20, 03:46 PM   #8
Gudadantza
Swabbie

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirin View Post
I got it recently from GOG and it worked absolutely fine straight away.

I'm curious about modding though: is it harder to do than with the original disk version? I had no problems with heavily modding the Steam version of SH3, but I have no idea whether GOG is different in this respect.

Also I assumed it came with the latest patch but I guess not?
The GOG versions are basically unprotected vanilla versions updated to last official patches, use to be exceptions to the rule in some games, involving unnoficial patches etc. But it is not the case here. Specifically SH2 is patched to the official 1.1 update.

So Mods that only need the 1.1 patched vanilla cd should work fine from scratch. Anyway it is all to you installing other well known unnoficial patch from here, If you want, of course. The game will run fine.

I have some mods running with the game with no problem.

greetings
Gudadantza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-21, 08:24 PM   #9
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Just installed GOG SHII on Win10, works great so far. Didn't install QuickTime its optional, no need for it. It seems to only be used to view the intro movie

Last edited by Otto Harkaman; 04-13-21 at 09:06 PM.
Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 06:05 AM   #10
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Hi, Otto... long time no sea (see what I did there?) and I hope you are well.

Gosh... I remember QuickTime
Old 04-15-21, 09:10 AM   #11
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Hi, Otto... long time no sea (see what I did there?) and I hope you are well.

Gosh... I remember QuickTime

Hello doing well, good to sea you too.

Yes quicktime was thee video format long ago.

Started reading Lothar-Günther Buchheim's novel "Das Boot" last night.

Old 04-20-21, 05:37 AM   #12
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Well got SH3 installed with GWX, I see now why people don't fuss with SH2, its pretty primitive in comparison.