Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Thanks. That helps.
Old 09-14-12, 05:15 PM   #17
Kloef
Weps

Downloads: 30

In RSR building a Target Solution is a matter of patience and skill, the longer you 'listen' the more it will build up. The better you position yourself the faster it will build. You can also try to identify the threat yourself by comparing the different sonar id's and come to a solution even faster, but that takes experience because if you get it wrong your tactical overview is kaputt.. Keep in mind that sea conditions play a vital role in this proces, when fighting subs try to find the right depth. Surface ships pose another treat but are usually much louder and easier to find, the trick is to find the subs in all that noice because most surface groups are guarded by one or more subs, or no at all but you can never be sure.

Soviet Tactics is another thing, they make 'Crazy Ivan' manouvres, ie. suddely stop and listen, so you have to keep an eye on that and cut your power immediatly. Some ships will allways use active sonar because they are so loud themselves. If you get detected the Soviets usually go all out and use active sonar to find you, and they will find you! It's a matter of hitting them first, get in this situation leaves you with one choice, all out attack on all ships and with most boats this can be done. Just be prepared to have to deal with alot of torpedoes and Heli's dropping them, surviving is hard but if you play for a while you will learn how they react to decoys and how to evade them by using skills like turning inside the torpedo or run towards it to pass it before it gets active, that will put you on the end of your seat every time!

Yes this game is hard, but all sims were hard in those days that's what so great about them!

I still fiddle around with RSR from time to time, if someone could just do a remake in flash that would be awesome

Good Hunting

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/

Last edited by Kloef; 09-14-12 at 05:26 PM.
Kloef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 09:00 AM   #18
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsuarez View Post
Admittedly, even in Ultimate mode it is very difficult for my boat to be sunk. I'm really not sure how well an SSN would take a torpedo hit in real life, but in the game it takes at least two hits for 688i to be sunk, whereas its Soviet counterparts are sunk after only one hit. But I guess that is okay since it is usually one American vs. several Soviets. It's also a lot of fun to limp back to base with extreme damage after a grueling battle.

As a personal rule, I always end my career after having been sunk. The game always lets you survive the sinking and then gives you a new boat. This seems kind of ridiculous to me, so I just ignore it and start over.

Going back to your original question: Reading the manual last night I came across a section (I think it was in the Captain's Manual chapter) that mentioned target solution accuracy being correlated to the time tracked. I'm starting to think that running legs will have almost no affect on solution accuracy. Either way, I am sure that you will come across the section yourself soon enough. But I will update this post later with the excerpt.
I also play RSR occasionally. It's really an awesome sim - with procedural content generation, which seems to be forgotten by all AAA games

You can make it also harder/more realistic (ok this is a personal taste) if
you play it that way that you may launch only one noisemaker (decoys are completely 'forbidden') at one time. The reason for that is that the noisemaker works too well in the game and the AI vessels seem to be 'allowed' also to use only one active noisemaker to compensate for the overrated effectiveness.

Further roll a dice - every time you get a hit by a major ASW weapon. If you roll 1-4 consider you are being dead and end the campaign...since as you already mentioned a SSN will probably not survive a major weapon impact in most of the cases...
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote