Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 07-13-11, 04:29 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default How to make 32 Bit applications aware of more memory: relevant for FS-users

In another thread yesterday there was discussion on how to make 32 Bit applications like the FS-exe aware of more available RAM to avoid out-of-(available)memory-errors. The wisdsom of poatching a 32 Bit OS can be argued, nevertheless you definitely win something if you have a 64 Bit OS and want to make FS - or any old 32 Bit exe! - aware of more memory available. I found a repost of the procedure'S description yesterday when skimming the iFly-forum. The guy posting it just quoted it himself, too, so I think he will be okay that I repost it, too.

This is how it goes:

There is discussion in other posts about OOM's, the 3GB switch and the 4GB patch. The following is a compilation of information about 32bit/64bit OS and programs addressing more than 2GB memory. It was gleaned from various locations on the internet and personal experience.

NOTE: 64 BIT OPERATING SYSTEMS DO NOT NEED THE OS TWEAK! SEE PARA II BELOW FOR A FS MEMORY TWEAK.

I. XP or VISTA x32 with more than 2GB of RAM do not by default address the RAM above 2GB. It's just ignored.

A. If you have x32 XP:

1. Disable hidden files and folders, then on C:\ you'll find a file named boot.ini. Make a backup the open the original boot.ini in notepad and add the following to the end of the line:

/3GB/Userva=2560

so it reads like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows XP " /fastdetect /3GB /Userva=2560

2. Save and close the file

3. Reboot

If this doesn't work for you, simply remove the edit (/3GB/Userva=2560) from the boot.ini file, save the file and reboot.

BTW, you should be using XP SP3.

B. If you have x32 Vista:

1. Open a command prompt with Administrator rights - Right Click the command prompt and select "run as administrator".

2. Enter in the box: (copy/paste if you wish)

bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560

and press enter.

3. Reboot

To reset to default start the command line prompt with Admin rights again and type:

bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2048

Hit enter and reboot.

NOTE: ALL USERS WITH MORE THAN 2GB RAM SHOULD APPLY THE FOLLOWING TWEAK TO FS.

II. FS9.1 must be modified to address the additional memory.

Go to http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=112556 and download laa204.zip. Link is at the bottom of the first post, and instructions for use are on the page.

This is a tool which allows you to make applications large address aware. When a 32-bit application is Large Address Aware, it can access up to 4 GB on x64 operating systems and up to 3 GB on x86. NOTE: It is not advised to use this application if you have less than 3 GB of RAM.

So both 32 bit and 64 bit operating system users should make FS large address aware.

64 bit OS users can alternately use the 4GB patch, available here: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

As in all things involving the OS and changing files, pay attention to the details. If you are not sure what you are doing don't do it. And put a copy of your FS9.exe in a safe place before making the change.

Also as in all things, your results may vary.

NOTE: IF THE LINKS ABOVE SEEM DEAD, COPY AND PASTE THEM TO YOUR INTERNET BROWSER. DELETE THE EXTRA INFO BEFORE HTTP.

http://ifly.flight1.net/forums/forum...ng-more-memory
Old 07-13-11, 07:11 PM   #2
Herr Trigger
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 191

Good Job Skybird and many thanks, my question is, although I'm assuming for 32 bit Win7 do as Vista, does the fs9 tweak apply to fsx ?
I'm running 4 gigs and it runs like a bag of crap, pardon me but I'm so angry! I wish I'd kept my fs9 with U/T, RC4 and a sexy little ATR I use to buzz about in. Got new rig, Quad core and all, got rid of fs9 cos fsx had bells & whistles and basically feel Bill has shafted me, especially when I saw the fs9 IFly737 video earlier, straight away it bought back memories of what I could achieve graphic wise with fs9 on a pentium 4. Damn, I'm rambling now. Any info ?
Before you ask, the 32 bit Win 7 choice was because of the lack of 64 bit applications, (that's another beef, should have stuck with XP !).
Regards,
H.T.
Herr Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 04:00 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

No credits to me please, I just pasted and copied the stuff.

The patch is usable for ANY exe, it is not specifically made for FS. You launch the software, point it at any given exe you have, and that'S it: a matter of three seconds all in all.

FSX benefits from expanding memory, it is limited to 2GB like FS9. However, be careful, (always a backup copy!), there is a lot of words in the forums about registration problems for addons for FSX when it got patched.

But as Arclight already said, I wonder if it really is worth the hassle to patch your OS manually with the needed chnages, and whether that is a good idea. The 4GB patch for the exe does not work for 32Bit Windows when those changes do not get applied, but will cause FS crashes, I assume , since Windows then does not know how to react when the request for more memory is coming from the application.

I am using W7 pro 64 Bit and plenty of old software and games, and I just needed to exchange a wheel and Windows Words, everything else worked from beginning on.
Old 07-14-11, 05:32 AM   #4
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Ah, thats another limitation of 32-bit Windows: it can't address more than 4GB of RAM, and that gets split down the middle into user space and kernel space. That's what that /3GB switch does: assign more memory to the user space. With the above tweak it's increased to 2.5GB from 2GB.

Even applications that can use more than 2 GB wouldn't be able to get at it without 'tweaking' the OS since half of the 4GB is reserved.

That /3GB switch can cause trouble, but it shouldn't for the average PC. The thing to really steer clear of is trying to get 32-bit Windows to recognise more than 4GB memory.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-11, 07:34 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Just to make that one clear: the 3GB switch and the 4GB patch are two different things, AFAIK. The 3 GB switch manipulates the 32 Bit-OS, the 4GB patch manipulates 32 Bit programs (exe's)