SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-10, 10:27 PM   #1
ThePinkSubmarine
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default The Un-Cut Das Boot DVD...worth it?

Gents --

I already own the Super-Bit version of Das Boot. I'd love to see the original un-cut version that came out a couple of years ago; but frankly...is it that much better?

Worth dropping hard earned cash on??

Last edited by ThePinkSubmarine; 02-28-10 at 11:10 PM.
ThePinkSubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 01:07 AM   #2
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

It's got a number of very good details IMHO. I watched it recently, after reading the book, and certainly enjoyed it more than the director's cut. A number of things are explained better and I didn't find it drawn out at all. Heck, I watched it with my mom and dad in the space of a couple of days during my vacation and they kept asking me to keep playing it (and they had previously seen the director's cut too)

But my advice is, if you REALLY want more Das Boot, read the book. Out of all versions of Das Boot, that one is still the most outstanding and will give you the most interesting details. Get it first and read it. Then if you really end up liking it, get the un-cut. It's much closer to the book and you will find many more of the details that were in the book but were not in the theatrical/director's cut version.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 01:43 AM   #3
ThePinkSubmarine
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Thanks CCIP -- I do own the book and am in the process of reading it again. I 1st read it about 10 years ago. I don't recall the translation being so crude, the copy that I have, the the translation is horrible!

I just ordered the Un-Cut version earlier this evening...so we'll see! A big part of me wants to see what all exactly I've been missing from the movie!
ThePinkSubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 02:29 AM   #4
conus00
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 166

Funny thing about the book: I have read two versions of it.
The US release is, as far as I can tell and to my surprise, HEAVILY censored. It is missing most of the juicy (read: "politically incorrect an inappropriate" details). I have read the book about 15 years ago in Czech language and I'm assuming that that one was translated directly from German original and couple years back I have bought the U.S. version of it.
The U.S. version is missing quite a few of "dirty" Werner's thoughts (For the people familiar with the "uncensored" version the part when Werner is imagining the "nipples" and the "other part of female's anatomy" is completely missing in US release).

Americans can be SO prude, sometimes!!!
Old 03-01-10, 02:32 AM   #5
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Tell me about it! I showed the uncut movie to my parents dubbed, and I really had to snicker at some of the translations of "subject number one" conversations in English. And especially Thomsen's "I AM IN NO CONDITION TO *******" suddenly becoming "I AM IN NO CONDITION FOR THAT". It's pretty funny how much they clean it up in English.

So if you want that aspect of the movie, watch it subbed in German.

Overall though the dub is quite good.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 05:55 AM   #6
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

You should get it on BD-ROM when it is released for it.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote