SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-31-09, 06:02 AM   #1
cbrown1790
Mate

Downloads: 164
Uploads: 0
Default I need a book recommendation

Hi,

There are so many books out there it becomes hit or miss. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

What I am looking for is submarine fiction, preferrably a series of books.

I have read the three books in the Jack Tremain Series (Pride Runs Deep), which I enjoyed, but I am finding difficult to find another series to go to. I am a fan of Aubrey and Hornblower novels and was looking for something along the same lines but in submarines.

Thanks for the help.
cbrown1790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 07:34 PM   #2
Panser
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 43

Submarines and US Navy SEALs are recurring elements in Patrick Robinson's books. I wouldn't call them particularly brilliant literature, but they are pretty readable and kept me entertained a few years ago. If you do want to give them a try, I'd suggest starting from the beginning as a lot of the characters do keep coming back through the books.

Nimitz class is the one to start with if you do give them a go, the general plot being: A rogue diesel-electric, possibly a russian Kilo class sub wipes a US carrier task force off the map with a nuclear torpedo and the resulting US and British investigation to find the dastardly beast responsible.

From what I remember of the book and from a layman's perspective (mine), the guy seemes to have been well advised or done his research into modern submarine behaviour and methods of passive detection and sub vs. sub / ASW. At least it read convincing to someone who otherwise knows nothing about it!

As an aside, if you like Napoleonic war-era naval fiction such as Hornblower and Patrock O'Brian's books, you will probably also enjoy the Bolitho books by Alexander Kent and the Kydd series by Julian Stockwin

Panser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 09:23 AM   #3
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

You might try Edward L. Beach's:
Run Silent, Run Deep.
Dust on the Sea
Cold is the Sea

All three are linked. The first two are set in WWII and the last in the cold war.
All very good reads and realistic(Beach served on subs in the Pacific).

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 11:04 AM   #4
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Several of Alexander Fullerton's WW2 Everard novels deal with the RN submarine service but since my copys have all been recycled to used book stores the names of most escape me.

A pretty good read is Not Thinking of Death and was set in the Med if I recall correctly.
Old 02-02-10, 02:56 PM   #5
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Try H. J. Riker's Silent Service books. Also Larry Bond's Dangrous Ground was good.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 10:54 PM   #6
ThePinkSubmarine
Seaman

Downloads: 1

I read "Final Run" by David E Meadows not too long ago. Pretty decent early early Cold War submarine (nearly pre-nuke submarine age) thriller.
ThePinkSubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-10, 10:57 PM   #7
ThePinkSubmarine
Seaman

Downloads: 1

Also I see that you are looking for a fiction book -- but Thunder Below by Adm. Fluckey is one heck of a good read (keeps you on the edge or your seat...and it isn't even fiction!)
ThePinkSubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 05:53 AM   #8
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22

From what I've read of the book so far, "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy is pretty good.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote