SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-10, 09:08 PM   #1
Buck_O
Helmsman

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0
Default The Bismark

Can anyone recommend a good book on the Bismark?
Buck_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 10:25 PM   #2
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

there was one written by the highest-ranked survivor, Burkhard von Mullenheim-Rechberg (my spelling is probably off, sorry)
I can't place the name of the book.

if you are looking for a really good set of blueprints, there is an Anatomy of the Ship book for the Bismarck.

Bob Ballard, who found the wreck in the 80's, wrote Discovering the Bismarck.

I have the third one, I have the second in eBook form, and I saw the first at my local library.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but It's bedtime here for me.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 08:34 AM   #3
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 View Post
there was one written by the highest-ranked survivor, Burkhard von Mullenheim-Rechberg (my spelling is probably off, sorry)
I can't place the name of the book.
Spelling: yer doin it right!

http://www.amazon.com/Battleship-Bis...7104689&sr=1-1

Looks like it may be out of print, although Amazon has used copies for sale from some of their vendors.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 09:49 AM   #4
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

"Pursuit" by Ludovic Kennedy.
It was the first book I read on the Bismark episode back in the '70's. I still think it is one of the best books out there on the operation. Very balanced. I highly recommend it.

I always found it ironic that Kennedy's father was captain of the HMS Rawalpindi when it was sunk by the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, commanded by Admiral Lutjens. His son(Kennedy's, not Lutjens'-), who was twenty at the time of his father's death, served aboard the HMS Tartar, one of the destroyers involved in the hunt for the Bismark with Admiral Lutjens aboard.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 09:37 PM   #5
Buck_O
Helmsman

Downloads: 46

thanks all very helpful. By the way have any of you heard of the book "Bismark: a minute by minute account of the final hours of Germany's greatest battleship" by Niklas Zetterling? If so, what is your opinion of it?

http://www.amazon.com/BISMARCK-Accou...7151550&sr=1-2
Buck_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 10:04 PM   #6
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14
Default The Bismarck

You know, I'd say the "Anatomy of the Ship" book on the Bismarck is one of the weakest in the series. The draftsmanship is cold and sterile (mostly hairline thickness lines), there's very little information on hull structure and machinery, the scaling of the plans is all over the place, there are no perspective drawings, few photographs, and only a couple of fittings are depicted.

I know you were looking for Bismarck books, but if the "Anatomy" series interests you, I'd recommend going for anything by the three Johns (John Roberts, John McKay, and John Lambert) instead.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 09:12 AM   #7
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts View Post
You know, I'd say the "Anatomy of the Ship" book on the Bismarck is one of the weakest in the series. The draftsmanship is cold and sterile (mostly hairline thickness lines), there's very little information on hull structure and machinery, the scaling of the plans is all over the place, there are no perspective drawings, few photographs, and only a couple of fittings are depicted.

I know you were looking for Bismarck books, but if the "Anatomy" series interests you, I'd recommend going for anything by the three Johns (John Roberts, John McKay, and John Lambert) instead.
Thanks for the review on the Bismark Anatomy of the Ship.
I was thinking of getting that but the price seems a little steep. I'll have to take a look at your other suggestions.
“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote