SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-19-10, 08:02 PM   #1
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Anatomy of the Ship: The Submarine Alliance Book Review (With Pictures!)

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd show everyone that I'm alive, and yes, I'm still writing book reviews. I bought this book in December 2008 but just recently got around to reviewing it. I've been collecting The "Anatomy of the Ship" books for some time now, and this book is probably my favorite in the series. So, without further rambling, here's my review.

(You can see larger versions of the scans here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2741763...898959/detail/)

If one were to peel away the pressure hull of any submarine built since the early 1930s, one would find a machine whose complexity would rival that of a manned spacecraft, and a level of craftsmanship comparable to the finest Swiss watch. Take the British Amphion-class, a class of 16 diesel-electric attack submarines built in the UK under the 1943 Emergency War Programme. Among the bewildering array of systems aboard these boats were two massive diesel engines, ten torpedo tubes, 224 lead-acid batteries weighing a half ton each, dozens of ballast, lubricating oil, fuel, and trimming tanks, and high and low-pressure compressed air tanks and lines. Besides that, every corner of these boats were crammed with handwheels, valves, and gauges, along with dozens of auxiliary devices.

Ever since buying The Flower-Class Corvette Agassiz back in 2006, my fascination with the "Anatomy of the Ship" series has since expanded to a full-blown obsession, with 19 books currently in my collection. These books rely heavily on scaled deck plans and cross-sections, and the occasional perspective drawing to depict a ship's internal arrangements. Submarines are a different beast, however - when dealing with a 220-foot long, 16 foot wide metal tube, this approach probably wouldn't work quite as well. In tackling this daunting task, John Lambert had to take a different tack.

The Submarine Alliance's format closely follows that of the "Anatomy" series. The book opens with a 14-page text introduction describing Alliance's construction, machinery, armament, and post-war refits, accompanied by several tables detailing various particulars of the Amphion-class. This is followed by 21 photographs showing various 'A' boats from 1945 to the mid 70s, giving a decent idea of the class's evolution through the years. The remaining 87 pages are filled with technical drawings of Alliance and her 15 sisters, drawing heavily on material originally published in official handbooks. This is where this book differs from the other Anatomies. While The Submarine Alliance includes the same type of General Arrangement drawings found in the rest of the series, they certainly aren't the meat of the book. Instead, this book is packed with hundreds of exploded and perspective-view schematics, depicting the boat's propulsion systems, machinery, and armament in unprecedented detail.

The drawings section opens with 12 1/384 scale profile views showing various 'A' boats from 1945 through 1970, showing the evolving appearance of the class's exterior. Section B includes a full set of General Arrangement plans, showing the top and side of the boat, plans of the bridge, superstructure, main flat, and battery compartment, and a longitudinal and nine transverse sections of the hull.

This section also includes 1/96 scale midships sections of three different 'A's, a perspective cutaway of a generic 'A', and a set of plans depicting Alliance's appearance after her 1960 refit, along with the layout of her external and internal tanks and their associated fittings. Section 'C', "Casing and Superstructure," features 1/96 scale plans depicting the internal and external arrangement of Auriga's bridge as completed, and Alliance's after her 1961 refit. This section also includes three pages of scrap views showing Alliance in her present condition, focusing on the sail and deck fittings.

And now we get to the "good stuff."

Section D, "Internal Arrangements," covers many of the systems required for the everyday operation of a late-war diesel submarine. The first three pages alone depict the arrangement of external and internal tanks, the high and low-pressure air systems, the layout of the bathrooms and water closets, and the auxiliary circulating water and fresh water systems.

Next, The control room is detailed in a series of 1/60th scale plans, showing elevations of both sides of the compartment and 12 sections through it, the drawing key noting items as obscure as the "24v DC M/G for radio and radar" and "12in TO vent valve No 3 main tank."

The rest of the chapter includes drawings of the anchor gear, forward and after hydroplane arrangements, steering gear, main valves, the snort induction system, both periscopes, and the ACO Mk II projector binnacle, an interesting device which allowed the helmsman in the control room to view a projected image of the compass card.

Section E, "Machinery," focuses on the propulsion systems of the A-class, and is even more detailed than the preceding section. It opens with seven pages of perspective views of the Admiralty-pattern diesels fitted on board six of the A-class, showing the engine framework, air start, lubricating oil, and circulating water systems, cylinder heads, fuel pumps and injectors, engine controls, supercharger, and valve gears.

The Vickers diesels fitted on board the remaining "A" boats receives similar treatment, as do the electric motors, batteries, and propeller shafts. The rest of the section covers the electric motors, batteries, and propeller shafts, as well as the auxiliary machinery, including evaporators, the air conditioning plant, air compressors, the low pressure blower, ballast pump, and refrigerating plant.

The final section looks at the weapons used by the A-class. It opens with schematics of the sub's internal and external torpedo tubes, showing the arrangements of pipe connections, firing gear, and some of the important torpedo tube fittings. The Mk VIII torpedo (ironically, the only torpedo ever fired in anger by a nuclear submarine at another ship!) is detailed with dimensioned drawings and perspective views of the interior components, such as the main reducing valve, igniter firing gear, and gyro angling gear.

The book concludes with views of both types of 4-inch guns used by the A-class, and the famous 20mm Oerlikon anti-aircraft gun that became so prolific during the Second World War.

How would I best describe this book? Obsessively. Fantastically detailed. A labor of love for serious submarine buffs and anyone interested in naval architecture. The Submarine Alliance contains the most detailed technical drawings of a submarine I've ever seen, and is certainly the most detailed "Anatomy" in my collection. Finding decent technical data on submarines has always been a frustrating experience - even the Fleet Boat manuals available for free online never really satiated my desire. Despite being a thin, 10 x 10 inch hardcover, this book is a treasure trove of fascinating material for serious tech-heads.

My only real complaint lies in the lack of schematics depicting the hull structure, which is paid some lip service in the introduction but is otherwise glossed over. In several instances, items on the plans are pointed to, but the number associated with the drawing key simply isn't there. In one severe example a drawing showing the crankshaft of the Vickers diesel, a key is included but the actual drawing doesn't have any annotations! Those quibbles aside, this is probably my favorite book in the series, and it's a real shame that it was never revised and reprinted, and that the "Anatomy of the Ship" series has quietly died.

Last edited by Subnuts; 02-20-10 at 08:17 AM.
Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 03:18 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Cool!

I love the 'Anatomy' books, but my favorite is Dreadnought.
Old 02-20-10, 03:58 PM   #3
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

I remember when I was younger I was fascinated with a similar book pertaining to U Boats. Books like these are treasures for those of us that are...ahem..."subsessed."

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 07:32 PM   #4
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Thanks Subnuts, to ! Love this collection, have the type VII, XXI and Bismark books! Never know whay they didn't do a one about the type IX, or other various submarines!
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 09:33 PM   #5
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Cool!

I love the 'Anatomy' books, but my favorite is Dreadnought.
These are the ones I have right now:
Captain Cook's Endeavour
HMS Beagle: Survey Ship Extraordinary
The 100-Gun Ship Victory
The 24-Gun Frigate Pandora
The 44-Gun Frigate USS Constitution
The Aircraft Carrier Intrepid
The Aircraft Carrier Victorious
The Armed Transport Bounty
The Battlecruiser Hood
The Battleship Dreadnought
The Battleship Warspite
The Battleship Yamato
The Bomb Vessel Granado
The Cruiser Bartolomeo Colleoni
The Cruiser Belfast
The Fairmile 'D' Motor Torpedo Boat
The Flower-Class Corvette Agassiz
The Heavy Cruiser Takao
The Schooner Bertha L Downs
The Submarine Alliance

20 down...just 18 to go. Collecting this series is turning into a real cash drain - some of these books are going for more than $80 used on Amazon, the most expensive one being on the Barque Lawhill, which has one copy available for $148!

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote