SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-10, 04:10 PM   #1
Henry Wood
Sparky

Downloads: 57
Uploads: 0
Default A new submarine discussion

As we in the UK (and many other places over the globe!) go through a rather cold spell unknown to younger generations, I came across this letter in today's "Times" newspaper. I know no one to ask about it now, they are all gone, including my father who worked in "The Trade". Does anyone know of any further information on this subject, please?

"Sir, Older people will recall the colder winter of 1946-47 (letter, Dec 7) when life was made more difficult by the frequent breakdown of the country’s power stations, chiefly through lack of maintenance during the wartime period. In that winter the Navy came to the country’s rescue with Operation Blackcurrant, in which all its available submarines were deployed to coastal ports where, sitting alongside harbour walls, their diesel-generators reinforced the local power supplies. By modern standards their contributions might seem negligible, but, in the immediate postwar years, the electrical requirement of most households was confined chiefly to lighting. Hence each 2,000 amperes of current from a single submarine generator was sufficient to light more than 5,000 light bulbs. This stand-by was particularly valuable when the mains supply failed (as frequently happened in those days). Older past members of the Submarine Service will well remember this period for the discomfort in working in sub-zero temperatures in the strong draught of cold air required by a submarine’s diesel engines, which, connected to the boat’s generators, provided this useful reinforcement to the country’s energy supplies."

It seems a bit farfetched but taking in the detail about light bulbs etc., I suppose the letter will truly demonstrate just how much behind the times we in the UK truly were when compared to the US. I remember the winter of 1947 very well even though we had no need of the submarines help: our house was heated mainly by a coal fire in the kitchen but also lit in the bedroom if illness arose. We had no electric light but used mains gas and very fragile "mantles" were employed to convert the gas into illumination. I can still remember being sent to the corner shop (mom & pop store?) to buy a new mantle when the old one collapsed into a pile of ash. "NEVER DROP THE MANTLE!" was the standing order.

Happy days so far as the snow and fun and games went, but not so much fun sleeping in those ice cold rooms!

Anyone else know anything about the submarine generators, please?
Henry Wood is offline   Reply With Quote