SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-22, 08:48 AM   #4726
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

This is the one I was referring to. The original.
Looks like the stock TDC in the conning tower and much clearer and easier to read.
The green one looks like a ghost ship that's been sitting at the bottom of the ocean...lol

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 11:19 PM   #4727
goldmastersims
Bosun

Downloads: 147
Default TMO BH scopes implemented

Just got scopes from TMO BH implemented. Complete with zoom.

I'm making my own tweaked variant of this mod. Tentatively, I plan to get this out after 1.8 is out, but no promises.

goldmastersims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 09:42 AM   #4728
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

As a note on this periscope subject, CapnScurvy added the optics from his Optical Targeting Correction (OTC) mod to FotRSU. Every view on the boat, whether periscope, binoculars, TBT, "open eye" etc., was painstakingly properly scaled to represent accurate views. Just be aware that you potentially alter that accuracy by changing the scopes. CapnScurvy has a posting on SubSim (that I cannot find) where he discusses this, and walked us through his testing procedure on how he came up with what he did for OTC and FotRSU. It is a very interesting subject, and the testing procedure is what we use to this day. Very thorough. If I can ever find it, I'll post a link.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 01:24 PM   #4729
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post

This is the one I was referring to. The original.
Looks like the stock TDC in the conning tower and much clearer and easier to read.
The green one looks like a ghost ship that's been sitting at the bottom of the ocean...lol

Nice, I do the same when I run FOTRS as well. Like propbeanie said, it can change some things, but that is how I prefer it and assume why you were doing it was well. OTC is a great mod and appreciate hard work but I never cared for how easy it makes things on the captain. The default scopes in TMO (night scope lol) did also, which is why I changed it. US subs periscopes for for most part useless at night except with full moonlight and at close range, observation scope was slightly useful. So I chose the filters for that reason, to show the differences. Wish was possible to go further and remove stadimeter from observation scope, limit the movement of attack scope etc but not sure that can be done.

Magnification was increased on both scopes and TBT as well, the default mag powers of scopes in stock and TMO were far too weak vs reality, from what I could gather. TBT and binoculars prob have more power than is realistic (Slightly) but this was done to interact with the environment of the mod and sensor changes.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 04:22 PM   #4730
goldmastersims
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As a note on this periscope subject, CapnScurvy added the optics from his Optical Targeting Correction (OTC) mod to FotRSU. Every view on the boat, whether periscope, binoculars, TBT, "open eye" etc., was painstakingly properly scaled to represent accurate views. Just be aware that you potentially alter that accuracy by changing the scopes. CapnScurvy has a posting on SubSim (that I cannot find) where he discusses this, and walked us through his testing procedure on how he came up with what he did for OTC and FotRSU. It is a very interesting subject, and the testing procedure is what we use to this day. Very thorough. If I can ever find it, I'll post a link.
Thanks. Let me know if you find it.
Old 06-10-22, 05:08 PM   #4731
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Default SV Radar and it detection range

driving a Balao, January 1945 out of Guam.
on patrol in the Luzon Straits.
Bothered by planes coming from the general direction of Taiwan/Formosa.
SV Radar installed at last refit.
SV Radar is turned on.
We detect an incoming at approx 10,000 yds out (5 nm).
according to the info specs we should be detecting them at 17-30 nm.
can you share which of the nodes in Sensors.dat is SV? I'd like to check the parms for that device.

Thx.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 07:03 PM   #4732
propbeanie

There are "slots" in the SubName.upc file, as well as in the UnitParts#SubName.upc file. First the Balao sub:
[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 2]
ID= UpgAirSearchRadar
NameDisplayable= Air Search Radar
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=AirRadars, AirRadarsImp, AdvAirRadars
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= EqSlot33, AirRadarAntenna
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1943-03-11, SD Radar
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1943-03-12, 1944-12-31, Improved SD Radar
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault3= 1945-01-01, NULL, SV Elite Radar
- That's the Upgrade "package"... and the UnitParts3Balao.upc:
[UnitPart 1.Compartment 1.EquipmentSlot 2]
ID= AirRadarAntenna
NameDisplayable= Air Search Radar Antenna
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes= NULL
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkEquipmentIntervalDefault1= NULL, NULL, NULL
ExternalNodeName3D= R02
ExternalDamageZoneTypeID3D= -1
Note that some subs have four UnitPart sections, such as the Gato. In some of the subs, their Surface Radar might change node designations, due to whether they are "supported" shafts, or "un-supported" shafts. Thankfully, the Air Search does not change very often, if at all. So the Balao for UnitPart 1 and UnitPart2 are both node R02:

The Balao has two conns so that we can get it to go from the Mearsure 9 black paint, to the Measure 32 grey, otherwise, they are basically identical. Now, as to the range, the place to look for that is in the Data / Library / USSubParts / Sensors_sub_US.sim file, but you'll have to look in the dat file, and reference the Parent / Child link relationships to find the SV Elite Radar. Don't forget, there is a difference between the shaft and the actual radar antenna itself. Also, in FotRSU, the weather and sea-state will affect your radars ranges. The "beams" were narrowed by CapnScurvy to simulate their unreliability in that regard.

Edit: Ain't that special... inet went out for a few minutes... ah well. To add to the above:

I did not do a screen grab of the actual settings, but the range in the sim shows to be set to 32,000 (km?? nm??). One little side-note to this: One of the snorkels is using the same "ID"... we'll have to dig further into that... that would be for a U-Boat of course, but in my mind, it is still a "say whuh???" kinda thang... btw, the "radar" that you "see" on the sub is the 2nd from the left above there, with the big parabolic dish, while the actual "functional" part (Dummy_SV...) is the little red dot at the bottom of the picture, by that green line...

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-10-22 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Loss of comms, sir!
Old 06-10-22, 09:12 PM   #4733
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
the place to look for that is in the Data / Library / USSubParts / Sensors_sub_US.sim file, but you'll have to look in the dat file, and reference the Parent / Child link relationships to find the SV Elite Radar.
looking at the .SIM file, could the defect be in the Height or Elevation Parms?

LAA enabled
Old 06-11-22, 02:05 AM   #4734
goldmastersims
Bosun

Preliminary testing of the TMO BH scopes shows the Dick O' Kane method's accuracy is not affected. Hopefully, the stadimeter readings stay as accurate if done right. As I've expected, it gives a huge benefit in the ability to identify vessels.
Old 06-11-22, 09:25 AM   #4735
propbeanie

That is what I was getting at above goldmastersims. The "zoom" view that CapnScurvy did is correct for the period, and is the same throughout the boat. The targeting range will be as close as is possible with computer pixels... which ain't very close... lol

As for the settings KM, I am lost beyond the Parent/Child linking as to what each of those settings does. It might make a difference, and then maybe not... sorry, but I am not skilled to understand...

Old 06-11-22, 10:55 AM   #4736
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 82

Is there anything strange with the torpedo loadout?
I play 1.7p3 without any other mods and I'm in Dutch Harbor 26 July 1942.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (13.0 KB, 9 views)
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-22, 11:06 AM   #4737
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
Is there anything strange with the torpedo loadout?
I play 1.7p3 without any other mods and I'm in Dutch Harbor 26 July 1942.
yes, there is.
welcome, by the way.
you have stumbled upon a well-known, unexpected feature (bug) in SH4.
there is no fix.
the best you can do it to replace the Mk14 with Mk10 before you shove off on patrol.

a work-around for you is to Reload prior to Ending Your Patrol. SH4 will reload your ammo according to what you shoved off with.

LAA enabled
Old 06-11-22, 11:07 AM   #4738
propbeanie

That is the nature of the beast known as SH4 nionios... For a time, I had switched the torpedoes around such that the game loaded the Mark 10 torpedoes upon returning to base - but then the fleet boats loaded Mark 10s. So I put if back to the Mark 14 loading first, since most of the submarines in the game are fleet boats. There are several mentions of this in the mod's (as well as the Stock game's) documentation, in that a person has to be careful with re-loads.

Theoretically, if you stop at Midway (as an example) on your way back to Pearl and you re-load torpedoes, you should get the same load-out as what you left with originally. If you leave a few torpedoes in the bunker, you should end up with a full load of Mark 10s upon return to base. However, if you empty the stores and then return to base, you will end up with a load of Mark 14s, which is very un-historical, since the S-Boat's tubes were not long enough to accommodate the Mark14's length. However, the game doesn't really care, and will shoot them just as well as the historically correct Mark 10s... go figure. Anyway, the S-Boat skipper, if they want to be "historically correct" and carry nothing but Mark 10s, should check their stores in the bunker prior to departure, and swap the Mark 14 torpedoes for Mark 10s. The swap is "free", other than the time involved. Unfortunately, there is apparently nothing that can be done about this situation, since like some of the "date" issues where the game ignores date restrictions, it also ignores torpedo tube restrictions...

Edit: ... and KM is quicker to the response!!!... lol

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-11-22 at 11:09 AM. Reason: KM is faster still!
Old 06-11-22, 03:25 PM   #4739
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default Q-ship

is there a Q-ship in the Japanese FOTRSU inventory?

LAA enabled
Old 06-12-22, 04:42 AM   #4740
nionios
Sparky

Downloads: 82

I haven't played FOTRSU for months and now in version 1.7p3 I see some yellow(vertical) and purple lines on the nav map.What exactly are these?
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote