SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-21, 08:07 AM   #3286
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Soviet Fanboi View Post
I will just simply wait till I get transferred to a new boat and apply the method which you all just said before upgrading to a newer gun.
Thanks
Just remember that the 20mm on the conn is AA, so is only manned by one person. The 40mm on the conn will use 2 gunners. The 20mm on the deck is classified as a "Deck Gun", and to avoid issues with future upgrades is manned by a full "Deck Gun" crew of four. I believe I mentioned two characters previously, but it is four gunners. The player cannot access the second Deck Gun position since the game did not make provisions for such. Therefore there is not a "camera" available to "see" with, and the player cannot jump into the position.

If you have the guns where you want them, but do not have gun positions on the crew page, you most likely only have to delete the AdditionalRepository" terms from one of your guns' listing in the Save folder, and then you should have slots appear for them inside your boat. If the slots are there already, there is nothing wrong. You just have to "man" the gun with your crewmembers, Save the game, exit and then come back in, Load the Save, and the crew should be at their positions when you next call Battle Stations. Again though, the 20mm Deck Gun is just that, a "Deck Gun", and it will not normally shoot at airplanes as an AA gun on the conning tower does. That is one of the limitations of the Player-controlled submarines in the game. If you are ever near a surfaced AI submarine, you will see them do AA with all of their guns, but the player boat cannot do that.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 02:36 PM   #3287
propbeanie

"Attention all hands! Attention all hands! Now hear this - Now hear this:"

Why do they keep repeating stuff like that?... why confirmation, of course! Now, to the matter at hand: Deck Guns and changing them. While trying a few new things for the next release and noodling with the guns, it has been discovered that there is better way to "initialize" your gun crew positions. While in the office, "purchase" your gun change, whether you are swapping bow to aft for the mount, or adding a dual-gun set-up to the gun deck, it does not seem to matter. Put your guns where you want them. Check your crew page - this is mandatory. Hopefully, everything has followed you thus far, and you have crew slots for the guns.

All deck guns, whether 20mm, 3 inch, 4 inch or 5 inch, .51 calibre or .25 it matters not - they all have 4 crew member slots in FotRSU. The AA guns are different, with the .50 cal and both 20mm guns being crewed by one crew member. Both of the 40mm guns require two crew members. As an aside, this is also why there are 12 people in your Damage Control Team. Place your crew members on the guns while you are still in the office. Exit the set-up screen and either use the file books to the left of the desk, or use the <Esc> key and "Save" the game now, while you are still in a 2D environment. Do not over-write a previous Save, and use a name you create. Now Exit the game by using the door to the right side of the office, to go back to the main menu, and choose Exit to Windows. Re-start the game and at the main menu, Load that Save you just created, and go on patrol. Your crew should all show when you use Battle Stations, and (in theory) you shouldn't have any issues - maybe...

"That is all. That is all. Carry on!

Not responsible for any damages incurred from improper use of said component or components. It is the user's responsibility to determine the fitness and suitability of these files for their use.

Old 05-22-21, 06:08 PM   #3288
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Default Finally Received a Conning Tower Upgrade

Yes, Virginia, it can happen to you!

after playing SH4 for god-knows-how-many-years, we finally received a conning tower upgrade within the game itself.

i.am.amazed.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-21, 06:22 PM   #3289
propbeanie

Ah, but will it actually function? You do lose all "upgrades" when you get one, but you should have all of the "base" devices, like SJ and such... hopefully - so congratulations - unless it trashes things...

Old 05-22-21, 07:47 PM   #3290
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Ah, but will it actually function? You do lose all "upgrades" when you get one, but you should have all of the "base" devices, like SJ and such... hopefully - so congratulations - unless it trashes things...
not sure if it actually functions as the boat is in the hands of the relief/repair crew and my crew and i are on shore leave.

i stopped in today and spoke to the repair officer-in-charge and he stated that, yes, they had to remove the SJ radar and the 20 mm AA weapon but both were available for installation as soon as they completed the metalwork on the conning tower. then, he chased me off the boat and told me to go and enjoy my shore leave.
ActiveUserPlayerUnits seems to have the proper equipment.
[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart]
ID=SargoConningMedWar
NameDisplayable=Half-cut Conning Tower
UnitPartInterval=1942-05-01, 1942-12-31
Type=SargoConningTower
ExternalLinkName3D=data/objects/Conning_Gato_02
HullTextureNameOverride=data/Submarine/NSS_Sargo/NSS_Sargo_T01.tga
HullLightmapTextureNameOverride=data/Submarine/NSS_Sargo/NSS_Sargo_O01.tga
HullNormalmapTextureNameOverride=NULL
MenuSilhouetteTextureNameOverride=Gato_Class_02.tg a
we'll find out when we relieve the repair crew.

LAA enabled
Old 05-23-21, 07:32 AM   #3291
AirShark
Seaman

Downloads: 200
Uploads: 0
Icon1

is it possible to change the layout back to the stock one the red color isnt comfy for my eyes, at least for me, also is it possible to restore the bloom from the stock game as well, this mod makes the environment darker :p
AirShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 09:28 AM   #3292
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Yes, Virginia, it can happen to you!

after playing SH4 for god-knows-how-many-years, we finally received a conning tower upgrade within the game itself.

i.am.amazed.

Ahoy KaleunMarco, congratulation first! Coud you share your experience on how to get this refit? How many patrols does it need or how many tonages approximately does it require?
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 11:46 AM   #3293
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
Ahoy KaleunMarco, congratulation first! Could you share your experience on how to get this refit? How many patrols does it need or how many tonnages approximately does it require?
good questions but i am not sure of Ubi's criteria because it is behind-the-curtain (wizard of oz reference not soviet union) so these are my SWAGs (Scientific wild ass guess).

7 successful missions with the appropriate tonnage. i do not believe that tonnage plays a roll in promotions/upgrades. i believe that objective-success is the prime criteria for that. (reference: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...75#post1602175)
also, date is important. new conning towers are available after a certain date passes.
also, refusing a boat upgrade is important. a kaleun must refuse a new command and still perform well enough to rate an upgrade. in this instance, i refused a new boat after mission #6 and did well enough in mission #7 that i received the new conning tower after mission #7.
there is probably at least one more item but my concussed brain is having difficulty recalling it at the moment. if it comes back to me, i shall edit this response.

LAA enabled
Old 05-23-21, 12:24 PM   #3294
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default Insert Spy Philippines 05

Be advised that the chalk-line location for this mission is pointing to a different island than the Map-zone-location.
i will be fixing this copy but i am sure you will want to include a fix in your next release.

LAA enabled
Old 05-23-21, 02:33 PM   #3295
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
thanks for the heads-up.

things are trashed.

came back from shore leave and replaced the 50 cal with 20 mm, added SJ surface radar.
attempted to shove off and went CTD.

not sure how to troubleshoot from this point because the upgrade occurred at the end of a mission and it was automatic: no decision was presented.

thoughts, comments, opinions?

LAA enabled
Old 05-23-21, 05:25 PM   #3296
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83
Default Glitch??

Good Afternoon Gentlemen,
I am giving a report on some interesting happenings. The date is Feb. 14th 1942. I am on patrol in the Formosa Straits for ten days. I am low on torpedoes, So I decide to take the boat out of the patrol area to refit in Surabayo. I go through the Formosa Strait down through the South China Sea. I continue down in between Singapore and Borneo. I reach Surabayo before it is abandoned and refit. I return to my patrol area up through the Celebes Sea and the east coast of the Philippines. I complete my mission. I do not come across any shipping while I do so. ( about 8 to 10 days) when I radioed in, they gave me the South China Sea mission. I was told to pay attention to Manila and the Straits around the area. I went to Manila. There was still friendly shore batteries and one ship that was on map, but not there. I spent about two weeks looking for Japanese ships, found none. Search all of South China Sea, Singapore area, and Saigon area no ships found. I searched every port no ships. I always ran into those bloody planes though! LOL. So I could not finish mission. So I plotted a course for Dublon. I thought there would be ships. I did not come across any ships while I traveled to Dublon. When I arrived, the ships where there. I was able to sink the all. The mission showed completed. I radioed in. I was given Patrol west of Marshall Islands. I traveled out into the open sea. I was on the surface, 0 nots and no time compression. I saved the game. Long day. I attempted to load the saved game the next day. The game locked the computer completely up. I had to restart the computer to clear it. This happened each time I tried. So I loaded the previous saved file. This loaded. I was in the South China Sea. This is where I had left off heading to Surabayo. I decided to plot a course back to my patrol area instead. I figured I could just run out my 10 days then refit. My course plot took me back on the east side of Formosa. Once I was back in my patrol area, ships a plenty started appearing and I with no torpedoes. There was even a TF. a big one. All I had was my deck guns. When I completed the mission, I radioed in, I was told no more missions. I could return to base or do what I want. I decided to return to base. When I got to the Green marker, I saved the game. I then move on to base. I refitted the ended patrol. I was able to do all the maintenance. Then I went to go out on patrol. I would select start from outside harbor, CTD. I tried deleting all the in and out files and re enter base. I still got CTD when trying to leave. The only thing that work, was to transfer to Fremantle. I was then able to go out on patrol without a CTD. I have two other notes. 1) when my deck guns or flack guns would be damaged. They would never completely be repaired until I would activate them. 2) I came across a ship in the Formosa area that was high in the water. (prop and rudder out of water) Feb 23, 1942 08:48 long 122 13" E lat 27 33" N The Heian Maru. I am also using the Titan sub.

100_FallOfTheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.46EN
Nippon_Maru_v1.2.1
Titan_Normandy_FOTRS_v146
452_MoonLightzSonarLines

Sorry about the long post. I just wanted to be accurate. I am not sure if the titan added to this or not. I have not had this problem before with this sub. I hope this helps PropBeanie or at least a good read.

Thanks
Comder

Asus ROG Strix Scar G732LXS-XS99
I9 10th GEN, 32gb MEM, RX2080 8GB nvidia, 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 07:13 PM   #3297
propbeanie

Quote:
Be advised that the chalk-line location for this mission is pointing to a different island than the Map-zone-location. i will be fixing this copy but i am sure you will want to include a fix in your next release.

[pic]
Always follow orders, and not the artwork... but yes, will look into that. Thanks.
Quote:
thanks for the heads-up.

things are trashed.

came back from shore leave and replaced the 50 cal with 20 mm, added SJ surface radar.
attempted to shove off and went CTD.

not sure how to troubleshoot from this point because the upgrade occurred at the end of a mission and it was automatic: no decision was presented.

thoughts, comments, opinions?
What boat, and do you know what conning tower you had previously? Do you happen to know which new conn you got? and what was the date? Thanks. My guess would be that the information is in the Save folder, but probably in the binary files, because I have never seen mention of conning by any of the names used in the upc files... - It might be mentioned in the career track... ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comder View Post
Good Afternoon Gentlemen,
I am giving a report on some interesting happenings. The date is Feb. 14th 1942...
Most interesting. Bad save data for certain, but from what? The Heian Maru might be a clue, but might also just be a symptom... we'll go by the date and start digging in the files. The use of the Titan might be contributory as you say, but with the lack of debug in the game for the enduser, tough to track down... The CTD when leaving on the next patrol might be totally unrelated to the earlier issue. If you want to, pack up your Save folder data, and post it somewhere for me to download, and we'll take a look at it. You could also look in your last Save, which should be in the most recent date / time stamped folder under "Documents / SH4 / data / cfg / SaveGames" and whichever of the most recent numbered folders under that, will have a CareerTrack.upc file, and near the top will be a section "[CareerTrack 1.CareerStatusLast]", where you can look for the line "PlayerCurrentObjectives=", and there will be an "IDxxx" with the "x" representing a one to three digit number. You could post back with that, and then we can put KaleunMarco on possibly helping edit that... Does not always work, but it might.

Old 05-23-21, 07:36 PM   #3298
Comder
Commander

Afternoon Propbeanie,
I am sorry to say, I was frustrated with the CTD's. I deleted the saved files i had. I did not keep the poor game file save either. I will look at the mentioned upc and post the number there. Sorry, I should thought to save those files.
Please do not add a reprimand to my file. I will do better.

Thank you

Comder

Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Old 05-23-21, 07:46 PM   #3299
Comder
Commander

Propbeanie,

I hit send too fast. the ID number is ID146

hope this helps

I do have the save file that I reloaded from if that would help. Let me know

Thanks

Comder

Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Old 05-23-21, 07:57 PM   #3300
propbeanie

Well, that corresponds to
[Section 146]
ID=ID146
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Sink Honshu 07/Sink Honshu 07.mis
StartDate=19411201
EndDate=19451201
GameModes=Career
which is a known-good mission, but does NOT correspond to an Asiatic Fleet, Fremantle boat... rather odd that... Can you zip the file set up, and post it somewhere, and then PM me the link please? I'll let you know when I have it downloaded.