SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-02-09, 12:10 AM   #1411
Captain von Keldunk
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 21
Default Aft and fore Deck guns

[quote=Ducimus;1181632]Aft vs fore deck gun is a choice you need to make at the start of your career game. Due to some quirks in how the game writes data to file, once you make this choice, its impossible to change your mind without manually editing your save game file. This is why i seperated aft and fore deck guns, and made them mutually exclusive.

Aft and fore deck guns Something like this
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=150313
How IXA Stern-gun works: But crew to Stern-gun slots(3) in crew management screen,(Press del to remove user interface if needed)
then press "Man the AA gun button".

Old 10-02-09, 01:48 AM   #1412
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default post 1413

I am clueless as to what that post means.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 10:53 AM   #1413
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

I was referring more specifically, to changing the guns location. Moving a gun from aft to for, or vice versa causes issues. If a sub starts with two gun mounts, you'll be able to control one gun, but not the other. (crew does). I already have an example of that in TMO with the "psudeo" Narwhal.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 09:21 PM   #1414
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Ducimus, if you

If you open your front door and find the Barbarinna's torpedoes tubes in you lovely face, here is why.

I started a mission in February of 1942.

The Barbarinna sailed to the patrol area between Abandon and Abuse, and sunk a merchant. Smiling and chortling loudly, the crew and I headed for Osaka for photo recon.

Once I entered inland water en route to Osaka, I ran into hell on the hight seas. I spent 4 hours crawling along the bottom dodging dds as soon as I left deep waters. Two dds and then a gunboats hunted my boat. I was repairing damage all day long, and only lost them when night fell. I was at a depth of 90 feet, so the boat's silhouette could be seen, making the Barbarinnna a nice target. The gunboat dropped a depth charge so close to the surface that it was sunk by the detonation. It ended up on the bottom, less than 10 feet from where my boat was hiding.

After I shook the dds, I was out of battery power. CO2 was about ready to kill the crew. I was compelled to surface, where I was confronted in the dark by another Gunboat. My deck gun crew were all killed, and I spent the next hour (real time) repairing the boat.

By the time I crawled into the patrol point for photo recon, it was 0400 hours and my boat was operational. However, I could not recon, because I could not get fix on the Jap boats in the harbor for photo ops as it was too dark. When the sun came up, 5 hours later, I finally completed the recon order. I had to surface to escape as I the CO2 was threatening to kill the crew again. I was bombed by an airplane and then attacked by another Gunboat. I sunk it after taking heavy damage with more crew killed. I repaired the boat and snuck off, heading for open ocean, miles off.

I sunk another gun boat, which ultimately finished of the Barbarinna, in a slow death attributable to flooding.
Before it was over, my replacement crew sunk the gunboat in a ferocious surface battle. Two compartments flooded. I tried to stave of a third that was flooding. The crew had it under control for awhile. The boat lasted an hour before it was finally over. Another attack from somewhere. We never saw it coming. What's worse was that we were was only 5 miles from the safety of deep water when the Barbarinna met her demise.

All I got was a Purple Heart.

Where did you come up with that hellacious mission?(That is one mission, I will NOT (as in NEVER) replay!)

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 10-06-09 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-06-09, 09:28 PM   #1415
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

you see, thats the stuff memories are made of. Months from now, when your knee deep into SH5, you'll look back on this with a nostalgic feeling.

That and honestly, if every mission was routine, wouldn't that get boring after awhile? Truthfully i didn't come up with the locations of the recon missions - ubi did. Although some of the missions (maybe not all of them ) have been moved away from ports that are entirely too dangerous.
Old 10-07-09, 07:28 AM   #1416
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145
Default single mission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
If you open your front door and find the Barbarinna's torpedoes tubes in you lovely face, here is why.

I started a mission in February of 1942.

The Barbarinna sailed to the patrol area between Abandon and Abuse, and sunk a merchant. Smiling and chortling loudly, the crew and I headed for Osaka for photo recon.

Once I entered inland water en route to Osaka, I ran into hell on the hight seas. I spent 4 hours crawling along the bottom dodging dds as soon as I left deep waters. Two dds and then a gunboats hunted my boat. I was repairing damage all day long, and only lost them when night fell. I was at a depth of 90 feet, so the boat's silhouette could be seen, making the Barbarinnna a nice target. The gunboat dropped a depth charge so close to the surface that it was sunk by the detonation. It ended up on the bottom, less than 10 feet from where my boat was hiding.

After I shook the dds, I was out of battery power. CO2 was about ready to kill the crew. I was compelled to surface, where I was confronted in the dark by another Gunboat. My deck gun crew were all killed, and I spent the next hour (real time) repairing the boat.

By the time I crawled into the patrol point for photo recon, it was 0400 hours and my boat was operational. However, I could not recon, because I could not get fix on the Jap boats in the harbor for photo ops as it was too dark. When the sun came up, 5 hours later, I finally completed the recon order. I had to surface to escape as I the CO2 was threatening to kill the crew again. I was bombed by an airplane and then attacked by another Gunboat. I sunk it after taking heavy damage with more crew killed. I repaired the boat and snuck off, heading for open ocean, miles off.

I sunk another gun boat, which ultimately finished of the Barbarinna, in a slow death attributable to flooding.
Before it was over, my replacement crew sunk the gunboat in a ferocious surface battle. Two compartments flooded. I tried to stave of a third that was flooding. The crew had it under control for awhile. The boat lasted an hour before it was finally over. Another attack from somewhere. We never saw it coming. What's worse was that we were was only 5 miles from the safety of deep water when the Barbarinna met her demise.

All I got was a Purple Heart.

Where did you come up with that hellacious mission?(That is one mission, I will NOT (as in NEVER) replay!)
hey, was this a single player mission or a patrol generated one... sounds masochistically interesting

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 10:25 AM   #1417
donut
The Old Man

Downloads: 10
This mission is both single, & champain

When I did it in campain, I was distroyed by Duci's bomber at night at 130 Ft. comming out the Suido. pissed ain't the word for it !

Last edited by donut; 10-07-09 at 11:44 AM.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 11:36 AM   #1418
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Suido, as in the Bungo Suido, as in area 7? Even i don't go there. You guys know, that patrol success is more about how much renown you earn, don't be afraid to get a mission and just say, "Nah, not doing it".

As for aircraft, try the latest update in the 1.8 beta if your playing it,
http://forum.kickinbak.com/viewtopic.php?p=20999#p20999
Old 10-07-09, 11:40 AM   #1419
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default cgjimenza

campaign in early 1942. Objectives: 1. patrol area in between Abandon and Abuse and 2, photo recon Osaka.. Inland sea enroute to Osaka is shallow and well patrolled. Sailng on the surface is suicide. You can expect problems maintaining battery power and CO2 levels, which my leave you no option except to engage the enemy on the surface at some point.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 10-07-09 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 12:46 PM   #1420
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Suido, as in the Bungo Suido, as in area 7? Even i don't go there.
Damn right. Only ever been up that way once myself.
Was lucky to make it out alive.
There's a whole load of mighty bad ju-ju up there.

Last edited by sergei; 10-07-09 at 01:05 PM.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 01:00 PM   #1421
pawz107
Nub

Downloads: 6

hey guys recently d/l TMO..and its awesome!!!! jst one question..i cant seem to get the metric nomograph..even though i replaced the files..i changed the name from metric_nomograph.dds to nomograph.dds also did the same thing to the other file ...deleted Usergramaphone2.dds..and added metric_usergramaphone..but edited to Usergramaphone.dds
i think i went wrong somewhere...please help..
also in the periscope view..i dont get the horizontal line..now is thd intentionally?? if it is..please do tell me how to get it back..

also i am not able to switch on the radar..any idea why?
thank you very much..its an awesome mod

im using TMO with the latest fixes of binocular and radar also im using RSRDC with the fixes
pawz107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 01:17 PM   #1422
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default pawz107

Try 1.7 to 1.8 Beta. It will rock your world if it doesn't kill you first.
Old 10-07-09, 01:28 PM   #1423
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

I don't think you have to rename any files to get the metric nomograph.
Just copy the folder 'TMO_ Metric_SpeedChart_Nomo' into mods and enable after TMO 1.7.

As for the periscope line - you don't need it. No need to line up horizontal line on waterline for correct range reading.
Photos I've seen of US WW2 periscope views seem to show no horizontal line.

Although if anyone knows better than me I'm sure they'll be along in a minute

If you still want the line back, have a look in the downloads section. I'm sure there are some periscope mods in there

Oh by the way, radar doesn't become available until mid '42. If you are early war that could be your problem
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-09, 01:53 PM   #1424
kylesplanet
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Suido, as in the Bungo Suido, as in area 7? Even i don't go there. You guys know, that patrol success is more about how much renown you earn, don't be afraid to get a mission and just say, "Nah, not doing it".

As for aircraft, try the latest update in the 1.8 beta if your playing it,
http://forum.kickinbak.com/viewtopic.php?p=20999#p20999

That is a tough place for sure. as a matter of fact, I'm 0-5 there. The first time I had an outside camera and I had him but the fish went right under. The other four times...well...haven't even been close.

Ole Pete won't be getting anymore visits from me, I might be crazy but I ain't dumb.

And Ducimus could have probably hear me cussing him when Ole Pete deep sixed me. I'm sure Ducimus giggled like a school girl.
Old 10-08-09, 01:20 PM   #1425
Blue Pointer
Nub

Downloads: 34
Default Ready to try Beta 1.8

Hello - I've been playing TMO 1.7 and having a ball. Congrats to Ducimus and all who worked on the project. Now I plan to take it up a notch to Beta 1.8. I understand which files I must download and in what order. However, is RSRD for TMO 1.7 still to be enacted after the file order below or is it no long compatible? Thank you.

1.) TriggerMaru_Overhaul_17
2.) BETA_TMO_17_to_18
3.) Beta18_Patch1_Ver6_UPC
4.) Beta18_Patch2_ver3_GfxSnd
5.) Beta18_Patch3_SubSkins
6.) Beta18_Patch4_Ver2_Dats
Blue Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote