SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-07-22, 03:49 PM   #16
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

I hope you get it sorted! By the way, I just remembered something that I should mention to save you some frustration -if you choose to use VMware..

VMware does not support 3D accelleration for Win98, you have to use XP for that.
Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-22, 04:07 PM   #17
DiTRay
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Oh, wow! That's actually quite important. Looks like VMWare doesn't even have a software 3D acceleration for Win98. Well, I already prepared myself for a deep dive into the waters nostalgia... Thanks for saving my time!
DiTRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-22, 05:54 PM   #18
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 0

I haven’t run SH2 in a while, but here is how I set up DC. I installed DC from a 2002 disk by running the “Setup.exe” as Administrator and set the compatibility mode to Windows XP (Service Pack 3). I allowed QuickTime to install from disk.

PC hardware : Win7 64bit Home, I3-6320 3.9 GHz, ASRock Z270 MB, DDR4 16GB, Samsung dual SSDs, GeForce GTX 1660

Basic patches :
1. Official DC patch v1.1
2. PM patch v 1.03

To this I added Kreigstanz and a wide variety of graphic and sound mods.

Other DC setup notes : I needed to slow down my mouse speed by adjusting it via windows control panel. Resolution set to 1024x768 x32 . I used the higher definition LOD models (available in DLs) and tweaked antialiasing using the Graphic card. I also use the Large Address Aware (LAA) utility to allow older 32-bit games to use more memory on this 64-bit system. hope this helps

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-aware.112556/

btw : To make rain look a bit better try the rainmod2 found in Subsim’s DLs under SH2 graphics. Pic of a Flower Class Corvette in light rain. This model shows an A-frame for an acoustic hammer used for minesweeping on the bow .

Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-22, 10:00 AM   #19
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiTRay View Post
Oh, wow! That's actually quite important. Looks like VMWare doesn't even have a software 3D acceleration for Win98. Well, I already prepared myself for a deep dive into the waters nostalgia... Thanks for saving my time!

Well, yes it does software 3D quite smoothly as it runs FS98 in software mode. Another important thing to be aware of in VMware, it tends to suck up all your CPU so the pc uses over 90% processor. At least for me, and with most programs I have run in VMware Win98. This is a drawback, and if the game does not have a frame limiter it seems VMware will throw as much resources as possible at it. I solved this by setting power to the CPU to 50% in my host OS (Win 10), but it gets tiresome in the long run.

By the way, have you tried the GOG version of SH2? That runs flawlessy for me on all OS I have tried, including Win10. They have a way of making things work. I could not get the stock version to run right in Win10.

Vox165: Nice tip on the LAA utility!
Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3d waves, graphics, silent hunter ii, weather