SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-06, 08:24 AM   #166
robj250
Sea Lord

Location: Port Hardy, BC, Canada 75 yo with M.S. & C.O.P.D. & heart problems
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSerpent
Rob, are you making a movie or are you just trying to learn how to do this stuff for yourself?
I'm making a movie of my convoy encounter, and have got all the titles in I want on various clips, Now I want to add a black background credits thingy at the end scrolling like a type written page. Difficult to explain. Then I have to make all the movie clips sounds the same level and then I have to add my music.

A moment. I'll look at a couple movies to see if I can point out what I mean by white text on black background scrolling like type written text. Then I'll come back and add an edit.

Edit: I looked at a few and I would like your style of the ending credits. How do you get Special List like that and how did you do the music credits. The text over water I can try that.

Last edited by robj250; 08-29-06 at 09:59 AM.
robj250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 11:01 AM   #167
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

[quote=robj250]
Quote:
Rob, are you making a movie or are you just trying to learn how to do this stuff for yourself?
I'm making a movie of my convoy encounter, and have got all the titles in I want on various clips, Now I want to add a black background credits thingy at the end scrolling like a type written page. Difficult to explain. Then I have to make all the movie clips sounds the same level and then I have to add my music.

A moment. I'll look at a couple movies to see if I can point out what I mean by white text on black background scrolling like type written text. Then I'll come back and add an edit.

Edit: I looked at a few and I would like your style of the ending credits. How do you get Special List like that and how did you do the music credits. The text over water I can try that.[/quote]

Do the steps that I said in my above post. Once you click on 'Done' the credits will appear at the very end of your movie. Simply click on the box that was created and drag it over the section of the movie that you want it to be displayed at. It will automatically play the movie in the background and your credits will scroll up the screen. If you want the credits to go slowly scroll up the screen stretch that box across a larger portion of your movie down at the bottom of the screen in the sequence area.

Work with it Rob. I had never used Movie Maker before I made "The Last Hunt" and I taught myself in a few hours of trying different things out and constantly playing the movie within Movie Maker to make sure that things lined up with the music just right. Just toy with it for awhile and test different things out to see what looks and feels best for you. Every movie maker has their own style so you won't ever really know how good yours is until you present it to the world. I am not all that impressed by my movie honestly, but that is because I can see my flaws a bit more clearly than anyone else since I was the originator of my film. If you end up making a movie and people say they don't like it and rate it badly, just try again and use their suggestions and comments as a basis for support on your next film.

I think my biggest mistake that I made with my movie was that I rushed it because I wanted to put something out there. I spent more time on the opening and ending and not enough on the middle. Granted that the middle is the hardest part to fill with Silent Hunter III since it is so limited content wise. You can't script the crew members to walk around the U-boat(s) or talk about various things like you could with lets say Operation Flashpoint with a much more indepth mission editor and script editor. So use the beginning of your film to capture your audience - the middle can be somewhat bland but not too bland, and have a fairly powerful ending to give them something to remember you movie by.

Notice how at the end of my video the U-boat hit the Nelson with a torpedo but it never showed it sinking. I then went straight to the credits after that to make people think that the movie was over. But at the end of the credits you finally get to see that the Bismark survived (that was the ship that I had my camera under) and at the very very very end you see the Nelson on its way down to the bottom in the dark murky waters at quite a fast pace since you would assume a Battleship could travel up to 100knots or more as it sank down to the bottom, gravity pushing her faster and faster downwards until she hit rock bottom. <---Just like the Titanic they assume must have been doing nearly 60-80 knots as she sank down 2.5 miles under.
Old 08-29-06, 12:14 PM   #168
robj250
Sea Lord

Hi SubSerpent: I've made a goof. I've put text in over some scenes and I find I have to remove all texts now because when I put in the transitions, the texts are out of order. So I need to erase all text. How do I do that?

Edit: It's okay, I found out how to delete all the text.

Last edited by robj250; 08-29-06 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-29-06, 11:40 PM   #169
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj250
Hi SubSerpent: I've made a goof. I've put text in over some scenes and I find I have to remove all texts now because when I put in the transitions, the texts are out of order. So I need to erase all text. How do I do that?

"U-55's First Convoy Attack"

Not too bad!

It gets a bit laggy though towards the end heading into port. Good work with the camera btw
Old 08-30-06, 01:00 AM   #170
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

My most recent movie. Short and to the point!
Old 08-30-06, 04:12 AM   #171
robj250
Sea Lord

Quote:
Quote:

Not too bad!

It gets a bit laggy though towards the end heading into port. Good work with the camera btw
What do you mean "laggy ..towards the end heading into port. I cannot held what the water does to the boat, so please define "laggy"
Old 08-30-06, 04:36 AM   #172
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Subserpent keep in mind Robj is an Old Rascal

''Laggy'' Robj, he means when you entered the port its a little Choppy
Old 08-30-06, 05:30 AM   #173
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Yeah, he talks about the cpu/RAM slowdown when you enter ports. Fraps steals quite a bit of cpu power, and the little that is left really has to work in harbours.

Good vid, rob! Since you are too shy to post a link, I will:

Robs second vid:
Old 08-30-06, 09:47 AM   #174
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not too bad!

What do you mean "laggy ..towards the end heading into port. I cannot held what the water does to the boat, so please define "laggy"

Your frames per second obviously dropped dramatically from being on the open water and then entering the port. Your CPU and video card show their age here or you have too much AA and AF on in your graphics card settings. Try tweaking your graphics card to lower your image quality settings. This will reduce image quality somewhat but it will improve your overall performance. Remember, eye candy is nice but performance is nicer!

It was a lot better than your first video though which shows you are getting better at it!

Suggestion:

For future video releases that you make, try not to use the mouse cursor in the video as much as possible. It takes away from the "movie" and makes it look more like a game demonstration. Try using "hot keys" instead.

I use the "backspace" button to pause the game. I then line up my camera with the angle that I want and I make sure my mouse cursor is not visible. I then hit "backspace" again to resume the game and once it begins again after being unpaused I quickly hit my "special" key to start recording with Fraps.

Last edited by SubSerpent; 08-30-06 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-30-06, 11:44 AM   #175
robj250
Sea Lord

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not too bad!

Your frames per second obviously dropped dramatically from being on the open water and then entering the port. Your CPU and video card show their age here or you have too much AA and AF on in your graphics card settings. Try tweaking your graphics card to lower your image quality settings. This will reduce image quality somewhat but it will improve your overall performance. Remember, eye candy is nice but performance is nicer!

It was a lot better than your first video though which shows you are getting better at it!

Suggestion:

For future video releases that you make, try not to use the mouse cursor in the video as much as possible. It takes away from the "movie" and makes it look more like a game demonstration. Try using "hot keys" instead.

I use the "backspace" button to pause the game. I then line up my camera with the angle that I want and I make sure my mouse cursor is not visible. I then hit "backspace" again to resume the game and once it begins again after being unpaused I quickly hit my "special" key to start recording with Fraps.
The mouse cursor was a mistake in using the camera, too excited, too many things.

I don't know how to tweak my graphics card and I cann't afford to buy a new one and I have a Seanix Pentium 4. Bought it 2 years ago. My card is GeForce 660 I think and upgraded after the game quit loading in U-51's 44th mission. So whatever graphics I get will have to do, I guess.
Old 08-30-06, 09:43 PM   #176
stabiz
Silent Hunter

New video, The Chronicles of U-751, part 1:

Old 08-31-06, 05:00 AM   #177
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Great Video Bob,

you're an fast learner (well...after asking my ears off :rotfl: ) but I,m glad I could help you m8 thx for the credits

I,m back at work so..Stabiz I'll watch urs later when i,m back home (56k Modem will take me about 1 hour to load at least Something of ur video)
Old 08-31-06, 05:07 PM   #178
stabiz
Silent Hunter

56k Are those still around?

Anyway, here is part two of Chronicles of U-751:

Old 08-31-06, 06:46 PM   #179
stabiz
Silent Hunter