SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-28-22, 02:47 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Chess Ultra

A former member gave me the lust to play chess again after decades absent.

So I bought and installed Chess ultra with all it's addons-When I bought it, it was on sale 65 % off.

Have played a lot against computer...my friend who invited me...are MIA.

Now the game is only collecting dust on my desktop.. it's not fun to play against computer.

I'm a Novis. I lost more games then I won.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-22, 03:55 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The problem is comoputers have no sense of humour. It would be more fun if he jokes at you while massacring you.

If you like live play and online, try here, I heard goog things about it. Its free. But online is not my thing, but maybe yours. Cannot tell anything about how it is with cheaters there.

https://lichess.org/

Last edited by Skybird; 12-28-22 at 04:05 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-22, 04:06 PM   #3
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you Skybird

Markus

Old 01-03-23, 12:29 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

I briefly checked Ultra Chess since it was to be had as a steal in recent Steam sales. Visually glorious in 2D, the promised VR implementation was terrible (absolutely blurry, the blurriest mess I have ever seen in any VR), and the chess engine was an imposition even at highest level, that weak it played, making often total nonsense moves and knowing nothing about anything. It moved pieces around in compliance with the rules, that was all.

The title is by a developer whose earlier chess software I already knew from PS4. There too it looked superb, and played terrible. The developer also made a decent pool game, once again stunning visuals, but the AI left to be desired although it provides the player with an opponent, the title is okay. Only in Snooker the AI sucks, I enjoyed the AI in Virtual Pool 4's Snooker part much more.

Stunning 2D looks, broken VR promise, terrible chess competence is what Ultra Chess is about. After 20 minutes and two matches at a medium and the maximum difficulty level: refunded. I did not notice a big difference between both levels, btw.
Old 01-03-23, 01:35 PM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I briefly checked Ultra Chess since it was to be had as a steal in recent Steam sales. Visually glorious in 2D, the promised VR implementation was terrible (absolutely blurry, the blurriest mess I have ever seen in any VR), and the chess engine was an imposition even at highest level, that weak it played, making often total nonsense moves and knowing nothing about anything. It moved pieces around in compliance with the rules, that was all.

The title is by a developer whose earlier chess software I already knew from PS4. There too it looked superb, and played terrible. The developer also made a decent pool game, once again stunning visuals, but the AI left to be desired although it provides the player with an opponent, the title is okay. Only in Snooker the AI sucks, I enjoyed the AI in Virtual Pool 4's Snooker part much more.

Stunning 2D looks, broken VR promise, terrible chess competence is what Ultra Chess is about. After 20 minutes and two matches at a medium and the maximum difficulty level: refunded. I did not notice a big difference between both levels, btw.
Thank you for your feedback.

I haven't been playing for weeks I so to say lost interest-NOT in playing chess but in this game, after a member in this forum got me to download it and then left.

The first 3-4 weeks I search for him every Thursday and Saturday...no Mr. X couldn't be found.

I tried some chess game at the place you gave me a link to https://lichess.org/

Markus

Old 01-03-23, 05:32 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Why dont you just download Arena (its free), load any engine, and then adapt the difficulty level to what feels right for your own skill level? Keep it simple for a start.

https://www.playwitharena.de/

If you want to socially interact online, use Facebook or this forum or whatever. If you want to play chess, it doe snot matter whether it is man or computer as long as the way it is done in meets your needs. The challenge lies in chess itself, not in the nature of your opponent. One could say your opponent'S identity is irrelavant - the position on the board stays the same.
Old 01-03-23, 05:43 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Or, for 3.50 coins each, either Shredder or Chess Genius for Android, then you play it on your smartphone on tablet, which is very comfortable and convenient. I know both myself, and its the way I play chess most of the time these days. The nice thing about Shredder is it has self-adapting difficulty level, it adapts to your own results over time. Beat the AI, and it adjust upwards, loose a lot, and it adapts downwards. It also plays "human" on lower levels, makes mild mistakes, nothing obvious, just is imperfect in a believable, human way. On Andorid, I like Shredder best. Its also a very good software - computer world champion several times, though that issi quite some tie ma ago. More tahn enough for me - and for you as well, I assume. Find it in the Google Playstore and read the reviews. It is very much liked, for good reason. And it is very cheap.

Tablet:

Smartphone:
There are also (free) chess problem apps that challenge you with - well, chess problems, sorted by difficulty level or themes. Also a good way to get into it!