SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-04-14, 12:18 PM   #106
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Steam forums are already full with comments from people demanding to be given all content and all stuff for FREE. As much as I question the latest sales policies they have implemented, I am at war with this attitude to demand stuff for free as well. Both are extremes.
I totally expected this, haven't checked yet myself but that sure sounds like the generic STEAM crowd being ridiculous again...
Old 06-04-14, 12:57 PM   #107
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I started to kind of liking the new scoring system, which motivates you to buy new weapons, yes - but also it forces you to consider your callibre more according to the prey. If you fire too huge callibres at too tiny animals, they will not run away anymore, yes - but the score will suffer from the trophy getting ruined. You want to kill with the smallest callibre to not ruin the trophy, but also you do not want to always search the dead animal for minutes and minutes. Hm... Think I need that Blaser R8.

Before, there was no reason NOT to always pick the biggest Ballermann you owned. Now, you need to choose. I actually have started to use the smaller callibre rifles that I got for free with my German DVD special edition in 2012 ("2013"), and which I never had used. Now I do.

Some of their settings for ethical hunting however are counter-intuitive to the above. Why they thiunk they mjust make such a decisive difference between Coyotes and Foxes, I cannot understand. The weapon matching the one should also match the other, they are not that different in size, aren't they. But okay, it is a game.

The air gun is a nice toy, too. If being shot at longer distances (~ 100m), it does not spook animals, like bows, misses also do not autoimatically spook the target animal necessarily. Also, the scope at 70-120m already needs to get used to the way how to use the markings for different ranges, the ballistics are much more obvious than with the normal rifles. Going after rabbits with it, is a new game. Those little stinkers are party-poopers when it comes to spotting them in the high grass. I swear I heard them laughing about me.
Old 06-09-14, 01:25 PM   #108
Skybird
Soaring

Due to health issues locking me at the table and in my home the past week, I came back into full swing with The Hunter, and am happy to report that technically it works as reliably for me like it once was. And with reliability, fun and fascination returned, too.

A nice introduction video for people not knowing anything about the game, which answers possibly most if not all questions a potentially interested newcomer could have, also explaining what the business model is like, and what limits there are in free to play". I personally would not say it is free to play, but that it has a demo mode which is free, but very limited in available content and what you can hunt. If you are not sure whether you could like The Hunter or not, this video is for you.

Old 06-10-14, 12:21 PM   #109
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

i play it last year and it was ok i have the level action 30-06 and the 50 cal cap and ball going download the game again my name on there is Green38 if you want to add me as a friend
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 06:02 AM   #110
Skybird
Soaring

If you ever see me running an MP session (same name there) and you feel like it, feel free to join. If password-protected, passwort will be "subsim".

Just don't be a jogging vandal.
Old 06-11-14, 04:48 PM   #111
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
A nice introduction video for people not knowing anything about the game, which answers possibly most if not all questions a potentially interested newcomer could have, also explaining what the business model is like, and what limits there are in free to play". I personally would not say it is free to play, but that it has a demo mode which is free, but very limited in available content and what you can hunt. If you are not sure whether you could like The Hunter or not, this video is for you.

Thanks for the YT link.

My name that I use here was apparently taken already, my name on The Hunter is "Vargyl".

Downloaded it and tried it out. It's quite relaxing and fun!

And nice scenery, this caught my eye at Logger's Point reserve.

Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 05:43 PM   #112
Skybird
Soaring

Check the Wiki.

http://www.thehunterwiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

You can switch language in the upper left corner box. I strongly recommend to use the German version if one can understand it, because the German Wiki is far more detailed and complete than the English one, which is missing a lot of the details given in the German one.

Anyone deciding to invest into a membership and buying some stuff, I recommend to give the many buying options very good consideration and research, especially weapons. You can spend a fortune, but you do not need all that stuff at all - but you can easily buy several weapons that suit the same purpose, leaving you still with animals for which you have no ethical weapon (hits will not be scored). Clever choice equips you with shooting options for every opportunity without buying most weapons. You can also ask here (me). The Hunter can be an expenbsive game. But you can also fully play it with full access to all and everything for quite a fair amount of money, mif you make clever choice for few equipment pieces. With the arrival of MP last year, they also boosted the sales of clothing and weapons that serve no other purpose than to impress the other players watching your alter ego in the game. But that is not needed at all.

If you can get a copy (new, sealed!!! It is the game account which cannot be sold/bought second hand!!!)) of the old German DVD edition "2013" (not 2014!), go for it - it was a treasure chest of additional weapons and content, and probably the best deal they ever offered on the game. The DVD versions, which are exclusive items for the German market, are compared in the German Wikipedia.

I also would think twice before buying the game via Steam. It seems that the updates so far coming via Steam require a re-download of ALL the game code, while versions installed via buying on their website only require download of the actual patch code. Yesterday update saw a size difference of 44 MB (their shop) to 700+ MB (Steam). You do not gain or lose any features when choosing the one or the other buying option - both versions are identical in content, they say. You can even associate your shop version with your existing Steam account, i think - but why would I want to do that... No, I still do not like Steam.

P.S. And I start most hunts at 0600. 0500 is too early for many species (but some are most active then). The German wiki gives activity patterns and timetables for most species.
Old 06-12-14, 02:15 AM   #113
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
If you can get a copy (new, sealed!!! It is the game account which cannot be sold/bought second hand!!!)) of the old German DVD edition "2013" (not 2014!), go for it - it was a treasure chest of additional weapons and content, and probably the best deal they ever offered on the game. The DVD versions, which are exclusive items for the German market, are compared in the German Wikipedia.

I also would think twice before buying the game via Steam. It seems that the updates so far coming via Steam require a re-download of ALL the game code, while versions installed via buying on their website only require download of the actual patch code. Yesterday update saw a size difference of 44 MB (their shop) to 700+ MB (Steam). You do not gain or lose any features when choosing the one or the other buying option - both versions are identical in content, they say. You can even associate your shop version with your existing Steam account, i think - but why would I want to do that... No, I still do not like Steam.

P.S. And I start most hunts at 0600. 0500 is too early for many species (but some are most active then). The German wiki gives activity patterns and timetables for most species.

If I've made an account already, can I buy the DVD version and would it still work with the account?

If I remember correctly, GameStop in town might have a copy in stock, not sure though.

I bought Rise of Flight when it was on sale on Steam, and it wouldn't work with my account I had already. >.<

EDIT: It seems there's a 2013 version available for download on some game stores online.
Old 06-12-14, 05:52 AM   #114
Skybird
Soaring

I'd be surprised if you get the second-last DVD (the 2013 edition was released in 2012) still in shops, and outside Germany. However, as far as I recall, you need nothing to install from it, since you already have it installed (polus updates and new reserves), and I think back then they said that the code in the box unlocks additional equipment that you then have no longer to buy separately, it also adds 6 months of membership. But one needed to enter the code at a different site.

Best advise would be to check in their forum for "DVD 2013 Deutsche Wälder". I do not recall the details precisely anymore.

The latest DVD special edition is "2014", it also adds some stuff to the membership of 6 months, and a Blaser rifle, but the content list is much more limited than it was with the 2013 edition.

Today we're hunting T-Rex.
Old 06-12-14, 06:23 AM   #115
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Cool, thanks.

GameStop didn't have 2014 version in stock, not sure which one they had before though.

I'd prefer a download version though, so it's between the 2013 version or one of the "Starter Bundles" on The Hunter site.

I downloaded the launcher from their site, didn't feel like using Steam.
Old 06-12-14, 11:00 AM   #116
Skybird
Soaring

This table from the English Wiki lists which callibres are ethical for hunting which species. "Ethical" in the game's context mean that hits and kills will be scored, not ignored. Mostly it reflects considerations from reality, but some decisions got made to benefit game balancing and also sales interest. As I said, one can get along with very few different weapons, if one chooses wisely. The weapons also may have different characteristics in deer-stop-power , precison over range (ballistics), scope designs, and sounds.

For some reaosn I don'T know I cannot paste and copy the wiki's page title to link it. So I took screenshots.

One can cover the whole range of species with 2-3 rifles and 1 shotgun, to have a bow or pistol already is a bonus game. If you play with the .50 from the civil war , you can even do all job with just one rifle. If you count slug and buckshot ammo, you do not even need a rifle, but just a shotgun.

A bow is handy due to its silence, the pistols imo are not really needed. Bows vary in power and noise level. The Python is the most silent weapon in the game, crossbow and Snakebite are the most powerful bow weapons, the crossbow is the easiest to handle and allows to shoot while lying flat on the ground.

As a shotgun, nothing beats the 6-shot pump action.

Rifles, you need a small callibre for small game, a memium for most other naimals, and a huieg c allibre for the real big animals out there. The scoring system depends on the state the trophy is in - and when you shoot a little deer with a 9.3x62, the trophy suffers more than if you used a .223. Since the points awarded also reflect how long the animals survived after the hit, you need some dropping power nevertheless. Ypou can score good for state of the trophy, but ruining it when the prey escaped and still lived (and suffered) for 3 minutes.

Is the .243 the only weapon you got so far, as a guest?

Last edited by Skybird; 06-12-14 at 11:26 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 11:15 AM   #117
Skybird
Soaring

I am not certain, Liponclaw, but I think if you are already a guest, you can, if you want, just head to the ingame shop and buy a memberhsip there. The game already is installed on your HD, no?! Buying a memeberhsuip will unlock full content for the time you chose, 3, 6 or 12 months. After that, it will gpo back to guest status. However, all items you bought and your statistics will be frozen. If you pause, and then later register another subscription period, all your content you bought before, will be unlocked again, you do not need to buy it again.

Be aware of that hunting mallards and geese, needs you to spend quite some money to increase the chance that you can lure the animals down to you. Both species are money traps to be hunted. Plenty of equipment needs to be bought to increase, item per item, the chance that you can lure the animals. It's quite an unfriendly design with these two species.

Rabbits can be hunt with shotguns and birdshot, but using the air rifle means a real challenging gameplay - I like it. Beyond 35m, ballistics and wind really make themselves felt. And those little cuties in high grass and being quite nervous, are very unthankful targets.
Old 06-12-14, 11:15 AM   #118
Lord_magerius
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

Been playing this for quite a while but finally took the plunge last night and bought the wayfarer membership and 2000EMS. Having great fun using the .308 Anschütz 1780, great rifle for pretty much anything. Anything it can't take down, I've got the trusty pump action and the .357 revolver for.

Just finished a hunt 10 minutes ago and managed to nail this beasty

If anyone wants to hunt with me my game name is Monkster87, just send me a friends request on there and we'll go hunting sometime.
Old 06-12-14, 12:04 PM   #119
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Is the .243 the only weapon you got so far, as a guest?

Yeah, the .243 bolt action rifle.

Quote:
I am not certain, Liponclaw, but I think if you are already a guest, you can, if you want, just head to the ingame shop and buy a memberhsip there. The game already is installed on your HD, no?! Buying a memeberhsuip will unlock full content for the time you chose, 3, 6 or 12 months. After that, it will gpo back to guest status. However, all items you bought and your statistics will be frozen. If you pause, and then later register another subscription period, all your content you bought before, will be unlocked again, you do not need to buy it again.

Be aware of that hunting mallards and geese, needs you to spend quite some money to increase the chance that you can lure the animals down to you. Both species are money traps to be hunted. Plenty of equipment needs to be bought to increase, item per item, the chance that you can lure the animals. It's quite an unfriendly design with these two species.

Rabbits can be hunt with shotguns and birdshot, but using the air rifle means a real challenging gameplay - I like it. Beyond 35m, ballistics and wind really make themselves felt. And those little cuties in high grass and being quite nervous, are very unthankful targets.
Yeah, installed it a few days ago. Maybe it's not enough time but, it seems like an interesting game. More of a relaxing type of game.

I've played it a few hours now. I have yet to spot a male Mule Deer, only females so far.

I'm not sure I'll hunt water birds.

Cool, good to know so I don't repurchase stuff again.

I think I'll get the Pathfinder bundle, more of a middle ground between the two other ones.

It has a .44 Magnum revolver.

I know what you're thinking. Did he fire 5 shots or 6? Infact, due to the excitement I lost track myself. Do you feel lucky? Well do ya, punk?!

Paraphrased from Dirty Harry movies.
Old 06-12-14, 12:26 PM   #120
Skybird
Soaring

The Anschütz 9.3x62 (a beefed up .308, if I'm not mistaken), is no rifle, but a cannon.

It is the most superior meat-dropper over medium range, but at long range it loses precision and needs compensation due to the ballistics, so for the long range, the .300 probably is slightly better. At very close range, a shotgun with slug is the most brutal punishment there is, probably.

I have played the 9.3 until 250 hits, getting all scoring points for it. The Anschütz 8x57IS also is a favourite of mine which I now use for moose and bear now, its firing sound could be mistaken for a tank cannon.

The Blaser R8 6.5x55 is a very good choice to buy , too. It has a very fast reloading sequence, and if handled well it drops all deer except elk, moose and bears without affecting the score as much as the bigger callibre form the Anschütz rifle would do.

For a basic weapons outfit, I would recommend people to make a choice between the two mentioned Anschütz rifles and the .300, one of these will make a solid "heavy rifle"; then go for the Blaser R8 6.5x55 for an most-purpose "medium rifle", and then the Varmint .223 as a "light rifle" for small game. As a shotgun, the pump action is the best, imo. And I would go for the Python bow, so that you can snapshot nearby prey without alarming all your vicinity of your presence (however, most prey will run away, but it is a good choice for taking out turkey, roe deer, foxes and the like). In principle, more weapons you do not need. Any other weapons you buy, is for taste or curiosity.

On lures, any sprayed stuff - well, I play without it since I came to the game. But you need a caller for any species available, I use them all.

Blinds: not really needed, if you play sneaky. Also, I have an issue with the towers and tent blinds, that is that yoiu cannot shoot from a stabilized posiiton when being within them, you cannot crouch. You need to shoot while standing, and thus: unstabilised. Very stupid. They are being told SINCE YEARS, and they do not listen.

I would buy one camping tent at least. If oyu have it with you, always, you can "camp" at the end of the session, and later return and continue from your camping site. I have simulated whole virtual weekend expeditions that way, and enjoyed.

Finally, clothing. POlent yof their latest clothing is comsetic only, to pose in mutliplayer, but there also is functional clothing. Basically, there are two types, the one is reducing visibility, the other is reducing scent and noise. The first is good against birds, foxes, coyotes, bears when you are in thwe woods, it is less effective in the open. The other set is more effective against the deer species. Usually there are sets for summer green reserves, autumn (Hirschfelden), winter (Hemmeldahl), and now rougarou bayou has its own visual set as well. However, these clothes make it easier and increase chances to avoid detection, and you can get closer before animals spook, but it is not essential to wear these clothes if you adapt your playing style and be more cautious when wearing ordinary clothes only. As I said, clothing saw a boost in varierty with the implementation of MP, and that is where their commercial interest aims at.

I would get the bonoculars with integrated laser range finders, especially when you use the air rifle or a bow weapon. The Python bow since lately has a LRF aiming scope available, too. For the shotgun, there is a 2x red dot scope, but it is not really needed. The rfiles - I would get scopes for them. Avoid the 12x scope that is available for the .223, it is too tunnel-viewed. The Anschütz come with good 3-9x42 scopes, you need just one scope to buy, since it fits both rifles listed above. The rifles come in silver and black, so come the scopes, but you can mix the colours, if you want.

Scent eliminator spray is a consumable. It helps if you plan to get real close. But I have now come to play more and more without it.

A medikit allows you to continue the session if a hog or moose or bear mauls you up. Camping kit can b used to teleport to the camping sites or lodges, to continue from there. Since you made somethign wrong when an animals rolls over you, and you can adapt by playing more cautiously, none of these two items is essential.

Use those shooting ranges, especially the one on the east of Redfeather Falls and when you plan to use bow weapons.

Ducks and geese I would leave to snapshot the occasional animal you may tumble over when sneaking around. Specialising in hunting them imo is too much money for too little gameplay. You would need two callers (far and close range), a groundblind and at least 12 dummies to have reasonable chances to lure any flight of birds down to you. And that costs money.

Run only for some seconds after you fired a rifle, or in heavy rain. Usually, you should walk or crouch.

Only objects you cannot walk through hides you from the nauimals'S eyes, vegetation you can walk you will hinder your own eyesight, but will not hide you from the animal. Stay behind trees, therefore, lay down in grass. Be aware of wind direction, especially if you do not wear scent-reducing clothing and use no scent elimintor spray.

My preferred times to start a hunt, are 0600 and 1500. I do not play in the time between 1000 and 1500.

"I told him he should respect the right of way, but did he listen...? Nooo..."

Last edited by Skybird; 06-12-14 at 12:56 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote