SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-12, 09:06 AM   #151
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm currently using an LG 900G, but only because I got it for $40. It does more than I'll ever want, and I wouldn't have paid that much except I wanted the qwerty keypad. If not for that I would have paid $20 for another bottom-of-the-line Nokia. I liked having a phone that didn't do anything but make calls.

I pay $15 per month for 200 minutes through Net10, but that only works if you hardly ever talk to anyone.

I'm not really cheap, just really poor.
Old 10-01-12, 12:23 PM   #152
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I liked having a phone that didn't do anything but make calls.
Qwerty keyboard is a good idea to start with...you can also try to think of your phone as sort of pocket PC or pocket Swiss knife that you can take everywhere.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 07:07 PM   #153
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

I am at least happy, that there is some competition for apple. Too bad it is not driving prices down. The I phone 6 will need a bank loan to buy.

I like my android, I watch movies on break at work with my buddy. You tube app, ESPN score updates for my sports teams.

And half the price per month, and 1/6 the price for a decent phone. (I only got a 3g phone) Plus I can tell them to buzz off at any time.

But it don't got the Apple logo on the back so everyone knows how hip I am.

My wife says the other day "Thats it?". And she was refferring to her Iphone 5 Not my genitalia...

(or was she)

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 07:56 PM   #154
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
I am at least happy, that there is some competition for apple. Too bad it is not driving prices down. The I phone 6 will need a bank loan to buy.

I like my android, I watch movies on break at work with my buddy. You tube app, ESPN score updates for my sports teams.

And half the price per month, and 1/6 the price for a decent phone. (I only got a 3g phone) Plus I can tell them to buzz off at any time.

My wife says the other day "Thats it?". And she was refferring to her Iphone 5 Not my genitalia...

(or was she)
You gonna share what phone and carrier?
Old 10-01-12, 07:59 PM   #155
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
A glass of diet dr pepper says it's "tracfone".
Old 10-01-12, 09:11 PM   #156
soopaman2
Der Alte

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
A glass of diet dr pepper says it's "tracfone".
Uhhh, no. But close.

Quote:

Lg Optimus Elite. And carrier is virgin mobile. Go figure, not a sprint verizon or AT&T in there. It isn't a Samsung Galaxy, but it is more than adequate.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 09:20 PM   #157
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

Quote:

(or was she)

I really don't get the iPhones are expensive talk. Seriously

iPhones are prices competatively with the flagship devices of the other major platforms.

After all, on a 2 year contract the iPhone 5 starts at 199, just like the Samsung Galaxy S3, Motorola Droid Razr, and the Blackberry Bold 9900.

199$ is the on contract price for most flagship devices. The iPhone is priced competatively, and is not overpriced compared to other flagship devices.

Off contract, these flagships are all 500-800$. Again, the iPhone is not overprices compared to comparable devices within its class.

PS: Ok, if you are going to buy a phone on contract, don't get the "0$ on contract" devices. Get the premium top of the line device. Why?
Well over the course of 2-3 years, the phone bill adds up to thousands of dollars. The extra 100-200$ doesn't seem like much at all.

Plus, since you will be living with the device for the next 2-3 years of your life (arguably more important than your wife), I sincearly recommend that you get a flagship device, and not a bargin bucket cheapo device. The level of support and the experiance is just so much better.
Old 10-01-12, 11:05 PM   #158
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Uhhh, no. But close.

Lg Optimus Elite. And carrier is virgin mobile. Go figure, not a sprint verizon or AT&T in there. It isn't a Samsung Galaxy, but it is more than adequate.
Sounds good, I am going to check on that tomorrow.
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG...-Review_id3028
What would you are the phone's shortcoming? All I need is a phone that has decent volume and a camera, thanks!
Old 10-02-12, 05:51 AM   #159
v-i-c-
Watch Officer

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joea View Post
…I would disagree that the iphone 5 is an insignificant upgrade. Maybe from a 4s but a huge difference speed wise with my 4 or your 3gs. Plus a much nicer screen (not just size), a much better camera and LTE if you want that. for me, the memory uograde to 64 GB would be worth it-games like WOTA and the Infinity Blade series need tons of space.…
Yes, the iPhone 5 rocks from its specs compared to its predecessors.
The GPU of the iPad 1 and iPhone/iPod touch 4 is too slow for the number of pixels on the screen. It's the same GPU that the 3GS uses. During the last two years this was always a problem for me (developing games).
When I started with the new Seehund midget submarine version of WOTA I've made a completely new water for the game. Now WOTA is really CPU bound on the 3GS, on the iPad 1 it still suffers from pixel fill rate problems due to the underpowered GPU. When it comes to gaming iPad 2 and 4S are great devices WOTA runs at 60fps with additional eyecandy on them.

Because of the CPU problems on the 3GS I've compared CPU benchmarks of all iOS devices to find out what extras will be possible on which device (I just can't afford to buy them all and the low end devices are most important for testing anyway)

The iPhone 5 is extremely fast! It's a HUGE difference and this difference is huge compared to the 4S, actually when it comes to CPU and memory performance the difference between the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4S is larger than the difference between the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 3GS! Calling the iPhone 5 an insignificant upgrade is just wrong - the iPhone 4 was an insignificant upgrade:

iPhone 5 compared to iPhone 4S:

integer performance: 2.26 times faster
floating point performance: 2.83 times faster
memory performance: 2.49 times faster
memory stream performance: 3.17 times faster

iPhone 4S compared to iPhone 3GS:
integer performance: 2.47 times faster
floating point performance: 2.64 times faster
memory performance: 1.68 times faster
memory stream performance: 1.33 times faster

iPhone 4S compared to iPhone 4:
integer performance: 1.92 times faster
floating point performance: 2.03 times faster
memory performance: 1.26 times faster
memory stream performance: 1.05 times faster

iPhone 4 compared to iPhone 3GS:
integer performance: 1.29 times faster
floating point performance: 1.29 times faster
memory performance: 1.68 times faster
memory stream performance: 1.33 times faster

Also the 3 core GPU is a good upgrade compared to the 4S.

Quote:

I do not get it, and I am not an apple trasher, but I am not impressed. 600 for what my 200$ phone does faster. with no contract.

I hope no one here is as stupid as we were...I am warning you now, it is pure crap for the price paid.
My two cents {

You get the iPhone 5 starting at 1,- EUR with a contract (in germany).

Currently the iPhone 5 is the fastest smartphone on the market, as usual this will change within the year. The pricing of the comparable android high end smartphones is almost identical. It might be a bad buy next summer but currently it is not… except that 600 EUR for a phone (without contract) might be a bit crazy anyway.

But compared to android you will have some advantages:

1. free unexpected adventures due to the new map app
2. almost no risk to install malware apps
3. more apps and games
4. This is the SUBSIM forum - well... WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163753

I see this android vs iOS thing from a developers point of view:

There are more android phones (68%) out there than iOS phones (17%) but the statistics show that 63.48% of the mobile internet accesses comes from iOS devices (android = 22.1% - I'll guess the iPod touch is included in the statistics) - so it seems that iOS devices are more in use than android devices. Maybe a lot of people who don't really need a smartphone just take one for $1,- with their contract but never use it except for phoning?

Same for sales numbers of Apps. Most developers sell 10 times more per app on the iOS app store than on all android markets combined. And the pirated to sale ratio on iOS is already pretty high at about 95:1 - unless you are in the top 1000 you will sell exactly: nothing, ZERO - yes more than 649,000 apps have 0 sales a day - to make any money that will at least pay your time of development you will have to reach the top 300 of games in the USA and stay there for a long time - a highly competitive market with dumping prices, rude customer reviews and on android it is even worse because sales are lower.

It's terrible to try to support all the different android devices, GPUs, screen sizes, Systems etc. - you will end up with ten times the hassle and bad reviews for 1/10 of the generated income.

That's why WOTA for android will come out after a Mac & PC release. and why I would always recommend iOS. ;-) But it's a biased view and someone who just needs a phone with mobile browser, email app, maps etc. might be as happy as an iPhone customer. But I doubt those kind of people would ever seriously debate about android vs iOS. It's almost the same old boring war like Mac vs PC.

}

WOTA: Wolves of the Atlantic - upcoming mobile U-boat simulation for iOS (later Mac, PC, Linux) • subsim forumfacebook
v-i-c- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 06:11 AM   #160
the_tyrant
Admiral

Quote:
Sounds good, I am going to check on that tomorrow.
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG...-Review_id3028
What would you are the phone's shortcoming? All I need is a phone that has decent volume and a camera, thanks!

If you are looking for a new Android phone, I suggest you consider the Galaxy Nexus: https://play.google.com/store/device...orpus_selector

Of all the Androids, the Nexus line is the only line that is created by Google itself, and is guaranteed updates. No carrier bloatware, no junk at all. Whereas my dad is still waiting for a 4.0 update (probably not getting it), the Galaxy Nexus is already on 4.1

It currently goes for 300 something unlocked direct from google, I personally recommend it, it is the best Android device out there.
Old 10-02-12, 06:17 AM   #161
MH
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 248

Samsung s3 is great phone too.
If you are a little bit technical you can always root it and install whatever flavour of android you like.
MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 07:59 AM   #162
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I have the HTC EVO. Damn fine phone. Going onto the 3rd year with it. Do not want a "upgrade" because...it usually is not a upgrade. It works as designed.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 09:08 AM   #163
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nexus is a good phone, but too large for me. I need a phone that's tight and tidy, under 4.6 inches if possible.

I will sure have a look at the S3 mini next week, that may be what I am looking for.

Virgin mobile looks very price competitive but I'm not sure about their West Texas coverage

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 10-02-12 at 09:25 AM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 12:01 PM   #164
the_tyrant
Admiral

Quote:
Nexus is a good phone, but too large for me. I need a phone that's tight and tidy, under 4.6 inches if possible.

I will sure have a look at the S3 mini next week, that may be what I am looking for.

Virgin mobile looks very price competitive but I'm not sure about their West Texas coverage

What carrier are you with (or thinking of going to)

I can give you some recommendations
Old 10-02-12, 12:03 PM   #165
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Steve, I have you beat. I'm poor and cheap

Update: went by 3 places and looked at gajiiions of phones and carrier plans Cricket, Radio Shack, and Best Buy.

Cricket has $50 a month unlimited text/talk 1GB data
RS has the same but with "unlimited" non-3G data

BB has so much to choose from, I took home a booklet they give out for comparison.

Tags
mobile, phone