SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-04-08, 01:01 AM   #91
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default Version 2.6 of Jyunsen B Kaidai and Kaichu mod is out !!!!

Includes Peabody's fixes :
scopes, japanese flag etc...

a new skin, waiting for the one from Sledgehammer427

thingies fixes

Enjoy ! As the japanese operated in the IO from Penang in 43 it's still alright to play the german campaign, for now...

Wait for Peabody's IJN Campaign, that'll be something else entirely

Keltos

download link :

http://files.filefront.com/v+26+IJN+.../fileinfo.html

Last edited by keltos01; 10-04-08 at 01:23 AM.
keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 02:10 PM   #92
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01
I'd say it's a matter of weeks ? Peabody ???
keltos
Can't give an answer right now. Seems every time I turn a corner I run into a brick wall.
Right now I am getting Random CTDs that I haven't figured out. They happen when exiting the 'Promotion' and 'Aces' screens and returning to the Captains Room. They don't happen every time, only randomly so it's difficult to find the problem. I would be happier if it happened every time, at least I would know where to look for the problem.

I can look at the 'Aces' board 4 times and exit, no problem, then I look at it the fifth time and CTD. Reload and I may look at it once and exit, CTD. Same with the 'Promotion' screen. No CTD looking at the screens only on exiting them. But there isn't any pattern to it, where I may be able to determine the cause.

Also I don't get any CTD in the Captain's Room as long as I dont' go to those two selections, so why am I getting a CTD returning from two unrelated screens to the Captain's Room? May take a while to figure this one out.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 02:30 PM   #93
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody
Right now I am getting Random CTDs that I haven't figured out. They happen when exiting the 'Promotion' and 'Aces' screens and returning to the Captains Room. They don't happen every time, only randomly so it's difficult to find the problem. I would be happier if it happened every time, at least I would know where to look for the problem.
I don't want to be obvious, but... strip out your changes. There's certain things you've changed, so remove them and see what happens. I know from doing very high res skins that you can load a quick mission multiple times, until one time, the game just doesn't load the skin and the sub is completely black. I put it down to memory allocation problems, as there was no other reason to suddenly not load a texture that I could see - after all it was still there.

A couple of things spring to mind, one is your map that you changed, if that is too large, it may go belly up... try replacing the captain room .dat file with stock and seeing if you still get the crashes. The other thing that loads on going to the captain room is the medals. Try stripping out the medal changes you did for the Japanese meadals and see if you still get the crashes.

There's nothing else I can thing off that you have changed that loads in the captain room. Good luck with it.
Old 10-04-08, 03:18 PM   #94
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody
I don't want to be obvious, but... strip out your changes. There's certain things you've changed, so remove them and see what happens. I know from doing very high res skins that you can load a quick mission multiple times, until one time, the game just doesn't load the skin and the sub is completely black. I put it down to memory allocation problems, as there was no other reason to suddenly not load a texture that I could see - after all it was still there.

A couple of things spring to mind, one is your map that you changed, if that is too large, it may go belly up... try replacing the captain room .dat file with stock and seeing if you still get the crashes. The other thing that loads on going to the captain room is the medals. Try stripping out the medal changes you did for the Japanese meadals and see if you still get the crashes.

There's nothing else I can thing off that you have changed that loads in the captain room. Good luck with it.
That's the trouble I changed everything. :hmm: Flag, logbook, Promotions, map, aces board, hat, papers on the desk, picture. I though I kept everything the same size and alpha channels etc. You are right that is the approach I need to take, just never had a problem in the Captains Room alone, even when returning from missions. But suddenly this popped up, and only exiting from those two screens, and the only thing in common (that I can think of) is the captains room.

I wasn't thinking of the map or medals because I didn't have problems before, but I will definately give it a try. I just wish it happened every time, would be a lot easier, keep backing up until it stops.

The worse part is I never went to these screens during testing until I changed them to make them Japanese, so I don't know when the problem started.

Thanks for the input, I'll give it a try and see what I can do.

Peabody

Edit: Maybe someone might have a comment on this, I though it might even be in the savegame files since we are changing to Japanese. Maybe the info is getting messed up?

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 10-04-08, 03:52 PM   #95
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Peabody, you may be reading the PM I just sent you now. But, it's been my experience that changing some files that have been previously loaded into a saved point can create CTD's when the game goes looking for a specific name of reference. It is always better to start a new campaign with the changes then to use an older save point that may get it's panties in a wad when it can't find a specific reference when it decides to look for it.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 05:06 PM   #96
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy
Peabody, you may be reading the PM I just sent you now. But, it's been my experience that changing some files that have been previously loaded into a saved point can create CTD's when the game goes looking for a specific name of reference. It is always better to start a new campaign with the changes then to use an older save point that may get it's panties in a wad when it can't find a specific reference when it decides to look for it.
Ya, I was doing that, but one thing I didn't think of right away, unless I use a different name each time, it may still have the "problem" in the save game. I am not sure on that, don't know anything about the save game files or how they are set up.

And of course, I'm not sure that is where the problem is. I am going to have to start right back at square one, with stock file and add changes until the problem pops up again. Like I commented the worse part is that it isn't happening everytime. That makes it so much harder to find it.

Thanks for the info, any help appreciated. I am getting ready to take out the shotgun.:rotfl:.

Peabody

Old 10-04-08, 05:33 PM   #97
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

I just bought the u-boat add-on. with the intention of running the Japanese subs andd campaign. How can I contribute? I have tons of books on japanese stuff and reference material.
Old 10-04-08, 06:14 PM   #98
peabody
Admiral

Nisgeis and Capn Scurvy,

I think I have found the problem
Correction, I think you guys found the problem and it was the attempt at making a new medal for the medalbox. I replaced that file and it seems to have solved the problem. Thank you very much for your ideas.
I still don't understand what happened but it was creating a problem going back to the Captains room. I understand it could cause a problem but:

The part I don't understand

I could go to
1. Transfer screen and back to capt room...no problem
2. Click sub go to crewmangement, equipment, and torpedo screen, no problem
3. Could play a patrol and return...no problem
4. Play a patrol and be awarded the medal that was causing the crash and NO PROBLEM. This is the one that confuses me the most.
5. Go to the logbook and look at patrols and back to capt room...no problem

It only caused a problem coming out of the 'Promotion' and 'Top Aces' screens. Weird program this is.

I thank you again and again and again for giving your time to post ideas. I was all ready to go right back to the beginning and start from there.
But with both Nisgeis comment about the medals and the PM from capn scurvy saying he had problems with the German medals in the box reacting different than the US side, I decided to do that file first and see what happens. It seems to be fixed. Of course, like I say it didn't happen all the time, but I almost wore out my mouse clicking in and out of those screens and everything seems to be back to "normal" if you can call anything I do "normal" :rotfl:. So I guess I can put the shotgun away for now.

Appreciate the help, you saved me hours of work.

Peabody

Old 10-04-08, 06:47 PM   #99
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
I just bought the u-boat add-on. with the intention of running the Japanese subs andd campaign. How can I contribute? I have tons of books on japanese stuff and reference material.
I hope I don't disappoint you when it is finally done. We hope to have a Beta for release soon. How soon I can't really say, this modding is all new to me, learning as I go with some help from friends. But this is our "game plan"
We are basically going to start with an SH4 style campaign with traffic in places it belongs at the times it belongs there. And use Japanese doctrine of 'attack warships' rather than SH4 "engage enemy merchant shipping" to create a different atmosphere. There will be mission to sink anything you want and some specificely sink warships, and of course the supply and transport type missions, but try to place those close to some of the action (for example Guadalcanal supply missions while US is invading or resupplying their own troops) so it won't be deliver supplies and RTB.
Once we get that in place as a base, then we will work with that to try to get more 'specific' on locations and time for some of the major battles or missions. The add the southwest parts that are now in the German missions.
So, I think your tons of info may be very helpful when we get into more specific stuff, but if you have anything to offer don't hesitate to post here or PM me or Keltos01 (he made the subs).
Some info that might be helpful now, is some specific locations for Allied traffic around the Philipeans when they return to that area towards the end of the war. We have info on some of the major battles but not on general movement in the area if you have anything like that.
Another thing I find lacking on the internet is where they came from (specifically the Allied forces and in some cases Japanese forces) It says where the battle was or where the invasions were but not where they came from. For example; They left Pearl Harbor and went to location x. Or they left from Midway and went over to location y.
So with tons of info you could probably contribute that way, but if you know any modding or 3D stuff or anything just make a suggestion on how you would like to help.
I know, you can fix my mistakes, that should keep you busy for six months.:rotfl:.

Thank you for the offer to contribute. Sometimes Keltos has ideas, sometimes I do, and we discuss them and decide on which way to go. Sometimes we disagree but we talk it over. So don't be offended if we don't use all your ideas, but we may decide you have a better idea and we will scrap ours and go with it. Some ideas are great but end up being hard to impliment. So, welcome, we will look forward to any ideas you may have.
And another thing, you will notice I tend to talk too much.

Peabody

Old 10-04-08, 09:12 PM   #100
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

still no dice on a skinner???
Old 10-04-08, 09:46 PM   #101
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpy117
still no dice on a skinner???
sledgehammer is doing the skin.

Peabody

Old 10-08-08, 01:09 PM   #102
peabody
Admiral

After a few setbacks and minor problem, we are back on track.

New image screen for Japanese Ranks screen:

Peabody

Old 10-11-08, 07:10 PM   #103
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

now we need to find the name of the submaine administrator of the japanese navy...:hmm:
because i'm sure Donitz didnt run that

but its looking great!
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 09:41 PM   #104
I-25
Commodore

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427
now we need to find the name of the submaine administrator of the japanese navy...:hmm:
because i'm sure Donitz didnt run that

but its looking great!
what date?, ive got all that info in my head
I-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-08, 07:44 AM   #105
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

I-25 you are an encyclopedia to yourself ! :rotfl:

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote